Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Really Good Tennis Ball Sling (Read 3622 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Really Good Tennis Ball Sling
Jun 22nd, 2004 at 7:50am

Tennis balls at 2oz are decent-weight ammo.  AND wild shots aren't (too) dangerous.  AND you can find/reuse most of the balls you pitch.

BUT making a sling pocket that will nicely conform to then release a bulky tennis ball is a little bit of a problem.

Here's my solution, and it works great!  It's 3 pieces of heavy woven poly strap material, each 1"wide x 8"long.  Right after you cut the pieces, heat the very ends over a flame to keep them from unraveling.

Heavily coat each end of each piece with PVC pipe cement down 1".  Use several coats of cement.  This makes a 1"square section on each end that's almost solid plastic.

Gently drill (yes drill) 1/4"holes in the middle of the 1"square coated sections.  Install brass tent grommets in these holes.  String the strap pieces together on your sling cords.  The picture below shows how this is done.

The result is a broad (about 2.375") curved AND cupped pocket that holds a tennis ball just right.  The weight of the pocket gives even tennis balls a "big ammo" feel, and you will be surprised at how hard and far you can pitch this "fluffy" ammo.

AND with this you can practice "safe slinging"!   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: Really Good Tennis Ball Sling
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 4:13pm

Very good looking and smart design. I think it would be useful for stones as well. One could use smaller leather straps. Punched holes through three layers of the leather should be durable enough for attaching the cords.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 10:16pm

Good design. 

If leather was used it would have to be heavy and stiff so the stone would not come out.

This design also has a neat look to it with the overlapping pieces.

Good job!

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 8:11pm

mgreenfield
  That is very cool to be sure! Nice sling, great idea.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 8:18pm

That's really nice!
Although I have no difficulty slinging "raquetballs" from my regular sling.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2004 at 1:57pm

TechStuff, ....how you figure this design would handle water balloons??    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 1:52pm

Did this sling make it into the articles yet?
If not, it should.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2006 at 9:20pm

Hi everyone,

While on the subject of Good Tennis Ball Slings.
I've made a bradied tennis ball sling (Generally anything that requires me to use glue ends up sticking my fingers together).

And to be honest I have never liked anything that lets your ammo slip through the pouch itself so I darned the pouch (no I didn't curse at it) I used the tennis ball as my template for the darning, and there you have it one cup pouch.

Tested the sling and found it held onto the tennis ball so instead of talking to my scientific friends I went and talked to my mother-in-law (She's a dress maker) told her what the problem was and she said why don't you just line the pouch.  (See, even mother-in-law are cool sometimes, either that I should thought of it which just makes me uncool.)

So off I went and lined my pouch with a bit of something she gave me, (don't ask, I don't know...though I could ask her) and now I have a great tennis ball sling.

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 10:03pm

that is  a very cool sling.  i just use a larger-than-my-other-sling apache style sling and that handles tennis balls really well.  i like that design though, and i think that it would be nice in leather, and might even work without heavy leather.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #9 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 1:54pm

I think this sling would be possible using a singular piece of strap, just fold it in thirds and rearrange it the same way.

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 2:16pm

You would not get the same efect with just folding.
One of the great things of this sling is that it adjust to your ammo, if you fold your strands are more fixed in their position.
You can use a 2 strap version of this sling too, again better if cut rather than folded.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2006 at 2:11pm

More recently, I've gone to this style sling for tennis balls, and get much improved range and accuracy.

www.slinging.org/images/greenfield/SplicedRopeSling.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man)