Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Throwing hard enough to make the rocks sing. (Read 4388 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Throwing hard enough to make the rocks sing.
Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 12:10am

Shaun,

That low pitch was due to the length of the edges.  Just as in bullroarers, the longer the edges, the lower the pitch.  Your's must have been a cool sounding rock.

jeff ><>

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

BarneyRubble
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 4:32am

I have found that I can choose a rectangular stone with sharp edges and get that sound pretty regularly with accuracy within an 8 to 10 foot target at about 40 yards, and if further range is attempted the accuracy breaks down due the slowing projectile, drag, and the instability of irregular shaped ammo.  The ballistic coefficient on a shape like this is very poor if it ever be figured at all.  After all, a round lead cast ball fired from a black powder arm theoretically shouldn't be able to fly accurately and true, because of a poor drag coefficient, however, it does fly quite well in spite of the physical mathematics that states it shouldn't.  The same goes for a bumble bee, some scientists are still trying to figure out why it can fly when the little beast is just not aerodynamically built to do so.  The current theory with many of these men of learning is simply that no one told the humble little bumble that it couldn't, and continues to fly happily in it's ignorant bliss of getting on with it's daily chores.
Anyway back on the subject of sound effects from this very addictive and fascinating hobby, The sounds that most impress me and one I have not achieved, is the cracking sound that I have heard in Barak's video, which I am not sure if it came from his sling or his projectile.  If it can be produced on regular basis it would certainly impress any onlooker as well as speed and accuracy can.  Another sound which my slinging habit has achieved on two occasions is the sound of the retention and release cords tensioning to make a noise similar to a bow being dry fired (please don't dry fire bows it's very bad for them.) I suppose if this hobbie floats your boat for the cool sounds it can make, then do it. Just make sure you put fraycheck on your sling pocket if it is braided or better yet, reserve a leather pocketed sling for your sound effect aspect of this hobby.  One can have many different reasons for the pursuit of this activity, accuracy and power, to uncover cultural and historical techniques, the endeavor of scientific explanation of the physical world around them, survival and primitive living, but most of all to me it is just so darn fun!

Happy Slinging

BarneyRubble

Quote:
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Sir Winston Churchill

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
ThRe: Throwing hard enough to make the rocks sing.
Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 6:46am

The bee's Creator gets a kick out of confusing men who are totally stuck on their science as apposed to acknowledging there's someone who knows more than they.  Grin Thats why the bee, who "scientifically" can't fly, does fly.

I also sling odd shaped concrete and get some really neat sounds!

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #18 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 10:22am

....cracking is from free end of sling.  Make yours with a little tassel beyond the knot, and you'll get some cracking, too.   It sort of becomes the sign of a good toss.  mgreenfield

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #19 - Jun 28th, 2004 at 9:30pm

David,

I did'nt get the bee comment.  And, it is only certain bumble bees that cannot fly (supposedly).  Most bees have wings large enough to produce the lift necessary to get them up and going.  The bumble bee, however, simply has too much mass for its little wings.  You just can't out do God, can you! Grin

In Barak's video, it is the sling that makes the crack, not the stone.  Some of my slings, especially the plaited peruvian slings, make the same crack even when slung empty.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 1:38am

Actually, I read a while back that scientists have now figured out how the bumblebee manages to fly. I don't know any details, just that they solved the mystery.

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

THOMAS
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #21 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 10:56am

Whenever one of my stones buzzed I replied with a bad word.

I have had softballs spin so fast they seamed to elongate,go uphill in the air and slide backwards ala frizbee!

The rare perfect throw seemed to go on forever and hover like a distant airship.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #22 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 11:48am

Every once in a while, one of my odd-shaped rocks will take off and hover.  It's really neat to see.

I personally think the bumblebee flies due to sheer determination.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)