Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greek Style and Shorter Slings (Read 734 times)
weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Greek Style and Shorter Slings
Jun 12th, 2004 at 9:37pm

I would like to thank David Taylor for the first real break-through in my own slinging style in several years.

For years I have heard people say that shorter slings were more accurate.  My own experience was that the short sling threw off my timing, the lack of centripedal tension meant that I could'nt throw light stones and the lack of power was very unsatisfying.

After watching David's videos I tried the "Greek Style"  but it wasn't really successful since my arms aren't long enough to hold the sling taught.  After a few attempts I tried my daughter's sling (22 in from retention loop to cradle center).

Wow, the power was about 2/3 of what I get out of my normal sling (36 in. from retention loop to cradle center.)  After 1/2 hour of practice I can get accuracy approaching my usual overhand cast.  Plus there are several other benefits that I am able to observe.

1) Short slings are able to be used in more confined areas.
2) The lack of a wind-up makes small-game hunting a viable possibility.
3) Because the sling starts with tension on it I can cast very light stones (marble size) with power similar to that of a hand-catapult.

I intend to continue using my original technique for the longer slings but this definately opens possibilties I hadn't considered.  Now I can't wait to get started braiding a shorty.  Sorry for the long post.

Grin

Like one who binds a stone in a sling, So is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)