Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling pics (was Introduction) (Read 3221 times)
weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Sling pics (was Introduction)
Jun 12th, 2004 at 5:38pm

Hi,
Thought I'd introduce myself before posting.

I've been slinging for about 10 years.  My current favorite sling is braided from nylon and reaches from base of right hand fingers to my heart (the way I was taught to judge sling length.)  I am right handed, and prefer a single-rev over-hand cast for close range.  I like a single under-hand rev for distance.  I can hit a coffee can about 1 out 6 times at 30 ft.  Most other cast within about 2 ft circle.

Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2004 at 10:20pm by weaver »  

Like one who binds a stone in a sling, So is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: Introduction
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 6:03pm

Great shooting!
Glad you're with us!
Share some more stories!
JOhnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 11:37pm

Quote:
I am right handed, and prefer a single-rev over-hand cast for close range.  I like a single under-hand rev for distance.

Hey, me too!  Except for the right-handed part, but I throw right handed anyway.  I've only been rock-chucking for about 6 months.  Maybe I'm on the right track! 

Welcome, Weaver7!  Got any pics of your sling?

IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 2:58pm

I'll see if I can get some sling pics online this week.

Also, I did a Sling demo and reenactment of the David and Goliath battle (full shepherds costume) this last week for VBS kids at my church.  I'll see if I can get a copy of some of the pictures that were taken.  Not exactly a cast of thousands but a lot of fun and I did manage to hit the target (cardboard Goliath) for each of the 9 sessions.

Like one who binds a stone in a sling, So is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 3:14pm

Welcome, Weaver!

You may be new here, but your ten years slinging makes you senior to most of us (regardless of your age.)

This is a great site with lots of nice people posting lots of great stuff.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 8:44pm

Welcome Weaver,

You have about 9 yrs experience on me! With 10 years you should have some stories to share.

My best and very depressing story I posted under the "sling hunting" topic. I was slinging at my usual spot when a whole flock of geese landed on the pool of water 9 yards from me. I missed a huge goose at just 9 yards! Cry If you like sad stories you will love that one.

Welcome Grin

IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 6:14pm

Here are the sling pictures I promised.

The leather sling at the bottom of the first picture was the style I started out with.

The orange and yellow sling in the center of the first picture is the main sling I use now.  It is 36 in. from retention loop to cradle center and was made from a pattern originally suggested by James Burdine.  This pattern can be found at:
http://www.sonic.net/~quine/sling2.html

For perspective the knife in both pictures in 9 inches long.

The upper 2 slings are recent additions based on patterns from articles on this site.

The 2 glandes nearest the white sling are cement "tennis ball" glandes.  All other ammo shown are examples of the quartzite cobbles that I find in the road-bed near my house.

Slingers showing pictures of their chuckers is almost like grandparents showing off their grandkids.  Cheesy

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 7:18pm

Yes indeed! We love to show off our babies.

Did you weave the green pouch.? Is that weave hard to do?

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 8:23pm

Good looking slings(and ammo!)!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 8:27pm

Yes, I did weave the pouch.  The sling all total probably took around 15 hours to make.  About 12 hours of that was the pouch.

The pouch is based on a Ghiordes knot (which is apparently used in Macrame crafts).  The sling itself is made from seine twine.  The green is needlepoint floss.  the pouch is made by first adding in some extra strands to the core.  Then a whipping is added around the whole braid.  After about a half inch of whipping the strands are divided into sub-groups with more whipping (just a couple of wraps).  This process continues until we are down to individual strands.  The weaving continues with the Ghiodes knot.  The spacing is gradually (by adding more knots) increased until the middle of the cradle is reached. and then the process is reversed until it comes together for the release chord.  At least thats what I remember.  It's been five years since I did it.  Now the whipping is starting to fray and my faithful friend may have to be retired soon.  Cry

One of the reasons for making the 2 new slings was to find a simpler way.   But so far I have found nothing that I like as well as the braided cradle for versatility.  This sling will handle anything from marbles to tennis balls.  I guess I need to braid another one.  I am also very interested in the Peruvian slings you guys purchased.

Maybe I will hold a wake for the old one.  Anyone interested?   Wink

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Re: Sling pics (was Introduction)
Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 5:25pm

The pouch is based on a Ghiordes knot (which is apparently used in Macrame crafts).  The sling itself is made from seine twine.  The green is needlepoint floss.  the pouch is made by first adding in some extra strands to the core.  Then a whipping is added around the whole braid.  After about a half inch of whipping the strands are divided into sub-groups with more whipping (just a couple of wraps).  This process continues until we are down to individual strands.  The weaving continues with the Ghiodes knot.  The spacing is gradually (by adding more knots) increased until the middle of the cradle is reached. and then the process is reversed until it comes together for the release chord.

Weaver - you certainly earned your name  Shocked

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

weaver
Tiro

Slingers obviously don't
live in glass houses.

New Mexico
Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 10:28am

Since I am going to have to braid another one soon.  I will try to borrow a higher quality digital camara and document the process as a how-to article.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2004 at 8:15pm

weaver7

Welcome. Very nice pics. Great slings.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Tyler
Tiro

sling it, sling it good

Ramona, California
Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2004 at 10:22pm

weaver,

a how-to article would very helpful because I really really really want to know how to braid that thing.  I have made a few 16 strand slings with a clove hitched split pouch, but yours looks much better than mine.  Excuse me if i sound desperate, but i have studied that articlefor the past year or so and I still can't figure out that woven pouch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris)