Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cestrosphendon illustration (Read 15029 times)
Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: Cestrosphendon illustration
Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 1:44pm

Johnny,

Great picture, the warrior is awe-inspiring. Nice to see my design materialized by your talented hand.

I didn't know the quoted above sources, indeed. The idea was quite casual. That is why I asked Johnny for quoting of Livy in the oryginal topic.

Most probably Hondero is right about the oryginal design of the cestrophendon, though he is an advanced digger of the matter.
But I think that the design sketched above might be probably used in the antiquity too. It was very probable to find out that design, due to the siplicity or maybe an easy modification of a normal sling for glandes (somebody added the cord with the loop, and redy). We will  know all never. Hondero's design is a more probable, but Livus' and Polybius' stories are only small crumbs of the history.

TechStuff,

Quote:
... In order for a clean release, it seems the lead retention cord must slide rearward as it slides off the shaft, thereby releasing the head of the shaft before the tail...

I think the both designs don't guarantee the clear release without a wobblig. If the arrow is rather solid and the cast is dynamic, the cords are strongly tensed. In this case, after the release the release cord usually escapes quicker than projectile, because of the release ending starts escape with the acceleration more than twice biger then the projectile. The springiness of the cord is the reason, it gives the small, additional acceleration of the light cord, thereby loosen that one around the arrow. So the cord hadn't to slide on the shaft always, I suppose.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 2:20pm

Quote:
As you know, scutum is a shield.
But a scutale (pl. scutalia) is thought to be a leather thong, from the Greek word skytos.
So the sling of the cestrosphendon has "two unequal thongs in the middle".
(As far as I know, scutale is a word found only in Livy. But he has probably lifted this passage from Polybius, anyway, which would explain the use of a Greek-derived word.)

Hmm, maybe this guess of "scutale" derived from "skytos" (thong in Greek) is right but not sure. It may derive very well from the same root that scutum. I´ve even read that scutalia was the name given to the thongs to hold the scutum around the arm. But as I said, both translations (thong and pouch) are used by the different translaters.

Supposing the traslation like thong, the text from Livy would means that the pouch (funda media) has two little unequal cords to fasten the dart and so it would be a design with a dynamics similar to David Engeval sling and dart, but it seems to me very complicated to control.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 2:54pm

FIRST came the sling.  Could it be that the inventors of the cestros first made the heavy metal head of the cestros shaped like a slim glande.   They might do this to make it fit the pouch of a "standard" sling?

LATER, to make the cestros "easier to manage" in the sling, they added the "tail loop", thus creating the "modern" cestrosphendon described by Livy.

IF this is was the path of development of the cestrospendon, Yurek's layout of the cestrosphendon and Johnny's drawing are pretty accurate.  We need to change the shape of Johnny's illustrated cestros and the design of the Yurek's simple cestrosphendon VERY little to duplicate the ancient device.

Just a thought.   Who will try it??  mgreenfield

PS:  This might just make plumbata "slingable" too.

IP Logged

Tommy

Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 11:45pm

hello  Grin im new here and I find this very interesting!  Shockedyet I am very new to all of this so i will not be making one anytime soon  Undecided But keep up the good work!

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #19 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 11:53pm

Thanks Tommy
You'll get hooked on this website, so be carefull!!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #20 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 8:02am

Welcome Tommy,

I found this site last August and "am hooked" as Johnny says! Have you looked at the videos of the various members slinging styles? As they say, a picture paints a thousand words--especially a moving picture! I demonstrated 4 different styles in the "Articles" section of this site.

I never braided anything before either, but now I have braided more than a dozen slings.

Welcome again!! Share some stories and feel free to ask questions.

David

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 7:31pm

Johnny, I think you are right, scutale is 'leather thong,' not shield. But in this context I believe they are talking about a 'bight.'

When tieing knots, you either tie with the end of the line or a 'bight'. A bight is a loop.  A bight is where the line changes direction. In a normal sling, you insert the stone into the bight, which often is widened into a pouch shape by some means or other.

My interpretation is that the kestros sling is made of two 'bights' of unequal length.

Nor surprisingly, I think you and possibly Hondero have misinterpreted it. I know, I've promised to post pictures of my Kestros for a year now. I will, when I finish braiding a decent looking one.  Dan

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #22 - Jun 12th, 2004 at 8:08pm

Thanks Dan
Is "bight" part of the latin word scutale? Where do you get "bight"? Your opinion is that the cestro has TWO pouches? The cestros in the illustration has two "bights"or loops. One for the finger, the other for the dart. And the cords are of 2 unequal lenghts.  I look forward to seeing your cestros!!
Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #23 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 3:03am

I have got more information on this subject, taken from Bernard Henry, a french author who is an authority in the subject of the sling. Well, the research on cestrosphendon is progressing with the collaboration of Johnny and Dan Cheesy , at least theoretically although it is necessary to experiment to validate the theories  8).

B. Henry, when describing the pouch of the Roman sling, refer to the word "scutale". He says that the word is of dark origin and considers three possible origins:
The Roman origin, according to which scutale would come from "scutum" = shield;
The Greek origin, according to which it would come from skytos = thong of leather.
The Etruscan origin (predecessors of the Romans), according to which would come from the root "scu..." and means to contain, to support, and then scutale would be the place where the stone is leaned or put.

He affirm that being dark the origin of the word scutale, finally has concluded that scutale would specifically mean the strap of leather of the sling, but understood like the strap that forms the pouch. This seems to me plausible since to designate simply a leather strap the names of LORUM and HABENA were used normally. Since in all Roman Literature scutale appears only twice, in Livy, and in the context of the sling, it is necessary to think that it is an adapted word or almost invented by him, and therefore is necessary to look for a contextual meaning. Henry analyzes the two texts that contain the word and by its meaning it concludes that scutale talks about the pouch of the sling made of leather, as it seems that it was the Roman sling. That pouch could be of several designs, as the one of an only piece or the one of several braided strips of leather, like was the Achaean sling in his opinion, etc.

As for me, I had bet by the Latin origin, scutum derivative, since I had compared several Latin words with the same root and a meaning with certain similarities:

Scutum = republican shield, made oval and concave
Scutella = cup
Scutula = dish.

All of them talk about a concave and rounded surface.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #24 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 8:10am

Thanks Hondero
I need to build two working cestrosphendons(yours and Jurek's) and see how they perform!
Thanks for your efforts!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #25 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 4:58pm

AM Snodgrass in his book,"Arms and Armour of the Greeks", writes this about the cestrosphendon:
"...propelled by a sling with two loops; it must have been formidable at short range."
It seems Snodgrass believes it has two "loops". One for the finger and one for the dart?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #26 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 5:11pm

Johnny, ....2-loops?   I say, one for the heavy glande-like head of the cestros, and one to position the tail relative to the swing-circle, and keep the cestro shaft aligned roughly tangential to the spin circle.    Without the tail loop, the mass of the extended tail would make the point of the cestros point at the slingsters hand. 

Only question I have is whether or not the tail loop also had both retained and released cords like the main pocket.   If it did, it was sort of a double-sling. 

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #27 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 5:41pm

I think we all need to make reconstructions. The hardest part will be making the dart. I think I will make mine like Hondero. Take an iron pipe and hammer a point on one end. I may drop a little hot lead in the tip for weight. How about everyone else? We need to find out how this thing works!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #28 - Jun 13th, 2004 at 8:33pm

I would probably shiskabob myself with the dart on my first try Shocked I'll leave this one to you guys Grin

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #29 - Jun 15th, 2004 at 2:33am

Johnny, does Snodgrass say anything more about the cestros? I´ll read the book but I can not understand how the second loop works. Maybe this interpretation of cestros has somethink to do with Dan´s one or even Yurek´s one.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark)