Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cestrosphendon illustration (Read 14972 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Cestrosphendon illustration
Jun 10th, 2004 at 10:14am

Here is an illustration of the cestrosphendon. Hope everyone likes it!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Cestrosphendon illustration
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 11:12am

Whoa, cool. 8)  Wouldn't want to see him across the battlefield!

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 1:46pm

And another!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 3:03pm

Hey.. Very nice, indeed.

The cords really stay so around the arrow during the whole throw?
They donīt slip?

... sorry.. just read the other topic below, and everything was good explaned. sorry.. again.

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 3:17pm

Hmmm, what a pity this sort of cestrosphendon was not described by classic writers.  Itīs just a cestroYurek  Grin(and maybe an efficient one) but not the original one. Though the ilustration is excellent, please, donīt put it in a history book Roll Eyes

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 5:06pm

Quote:
Hmmm, what a pity this sort of cestrosphendon was not described by classic writers.  Itīs just a cestroYurek  Grin(and maybe an efficient one) but not the original one. Though the ilustration is excellent, please, donīt put it in a history book Roll Eyes

Honder, my friend, could you tell me why it doesn't match the accounts given in Livy? I'm not saying it doesn't - I just really want to know!

Is it the mention of a pouch or pouches????  I can't otherwise see any difference.

Please explain!!

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 5:15pm

Has anyone here tried the design as shown?  I have sincere doubts as to it's practicality.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 5:36pm

Techstuff, I've tried it - and yes it works very well indeed. And it is an elegant, uncluttered design. I got a distance of 40-45m with both Hondero's and Yureks design (featured in the illustration).

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 5:54pm

Great!  Perhaps you can explain the dynamics at release a bit.   In order for a clean release, it seems the lead retention cord must slide rearward as it slides off the shaft, thereby releasing the head of the shaft before the tail.  In so doing, it would appear that a very pronounced wobble would be induced. 
Is this somehow prevented?

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2004 at 10:49pm

Nice drawings Johnny!!

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 7:23am

About the cestrosphendon:
Livy writes:
"the sling had in the middle two unequal thongs; when the slinger swung and spun it by the strap with an extra effort, the missile, shaken loose, shot out like a ball."
Polybius writes:
The thongs of the sling from which the missile was discharged were of unequal length, and it was so inserted into the loop between them that it was easily freed. There it remained fixed while the thongs were whirled round and taut, but when at the moment of discharge one of the thongs was loosened, it left the loop and was shot like a leaden bullet from a sling,"

Who's design then? Hondero's? Jurek's?

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 8:31am

Quote:
About the cestrosphendon:
Livy writes:
"the sling had in the middle two unequal thongs; when the slinger swung and spun it by the strap with an extra effort, the missile, shaken loose, shot out like a ball."
Polybius writes:
The thongs of the sling from which the missile was discharged were of unequal length, and it was so inserted into the loop between them that it was easily freed. There it remained fixed while the thongs were whirled round and taut, but when at the moment of discharge one of the thongs was loosened, it left the loop and was shot like a leaden bullet from a sling,"

Who's design then? Hondero's? Jurek's?

I think Yurek has not followed the Livius text but just invented an ingenious an simple device for throwing darts.
The right translation of Livius text does not refer to two unequal "cords" (different lenght), but two different "pouches". Itīs the latin word "scutalia" that makes the confusion, as some authors translate it like thong and anothers like pouche. I think "scutalia" comes from "scutum" = shield, maybe refering that  the shape of the pouce is similar to the scutum.
But in the case of being the right cestrosfendon made by two unequal cords, it apllies also the design I consider right. The design of Yurek has the two cords of equal lenght for the arrow to remain horizontal. If the cords are different in length the dart would be inclined, like itīs the right position (in my opinion) for throwing it appropiately.
Another guess, imaging scutalia means cord, is that the pouch (funda media) has two little unequal cords to fasten the dart and so it would be a design with a dynamic similar to David Engeval sling and dart, but it seems to me very complicated to control.

Well, we need an ancient Greek to tell us the truth of this stuff Undecided
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2004 at 11:25am by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 9:04am

Hondero
Here is the Latin:
"funda media duo scutalia imparia"
I think you are right about "scutalia" being the word for shield. You may be right about 2 pouches rather than 2 unequal thongs. I need to re-work the illustration!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 9:26am

I think that the barbs on the dart are a bit off.  The release cord would surely be trapped under them?  Perhaps a leaf shape would work better.  I will try this out.  looks easier than the other kestros.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2004 at 12:12pm

Hondero
You can read this post on:
http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm4.showMessage?topicID=1138.topic

As you know, scutum is a shield.
But a scutale (pl. scutalia) is thought to be a leather thong, from the Greek word skytos.
So the sling of the cestrosphendon has "two unequal thongs in the middle".
(As far as I know, scutale is a word found only in Livy. But he has probably lifted this passage from Polybius, anyway, which would explain the use of a Greek-derived word.)

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark)