Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spherical vs Football-Shaped Glandes (Read 1731 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Spherical vs Football-Shaped Glandes
Jun 7th, 2004 at 11:41am

My "standard" ammo weight is 65-grams.   I've been rolling clay footballs in this weight.  They measure about 0.75-1"wide x 2.5"long.  I recently rolled and tossed some clay spheres in this same weight, ....about 1.5"dia.

By eyeball, I'd say 20% less range for the spheres.  Also, the spheres are a lot harder to handle in the sling pocket as I'm setting up to toss.

So, if I'm going to sling overhand, I've got to figure out how to launch football-shaped glandes, point first, with spin.    Interesting experiment.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Re: Spherical vs Football-Shaped Glandes
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 4:38am

Quote:
So, if I'm going to sling overhand, I've got to figure out how to launch football-shaped glandes, point first, with spin.    Interesting experiment.

I thought the idea was that the laws of aerodynamics would ensure that the glandes will travel point first? I thought that after having flown a while, the glandes would stabilize with one point ahead, since this is the orientation with the least air resistance. I think it would be very difficult to ensure that the glandes leave the pouch traveling point-first.

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 4:55am

Enfors, ....the way I launch underhanded sends glandes off point first with perfect rifle spiral almost every time.  Not even a wobble.    Very pretty to watch.  Almost makes me not care if I hit anything.  Grin   

I dont think aerodynamics are going to help straighten a glande out at all.   You could even argue that the air will "catch" the glande in a high-drag configuration, and "hold" it that way.

There's a film clip someplace on this site that sort of shows how I launch.  I put the retained string on my ring finger, and make sure my palm is forward before and as I release.   The clip shows mainly a wrist wind-up.  I'm using a lot more whole-arm now, and this gave a huge increase in power.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 11:47am

I fire off irregularly-shaped rocks, and the elongated ones will stabilize "point" first if I get a decent cast.  I've been throwing overhand, and not every cast would keep the stone in the air long enough for this to happen.  If anybody has any techniques for a more stable spin at the point of launch for an overhand cast (I know techstuff advocates modifications to the sling, but I'm a bit of a traditionalist), I think I'd get more range.  Even on the decent casts, the stone has to fight the air until it does stabilize, which has to be slowing it down. 

I recently began playing around with other types of casts, and the underhand puts my rocks about 10% further out.  I thought it was a body mechanics thing, but maybe I need to pay attention to the spin at the point of launch.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 2:23pm

I just put the projctile in the pouch "point up" as it is held in front of me. It ends up point first and fading to the right. I sling overhand and am right handed.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 3:53pm

Hmmm,  that's how I do it, too, but I get lots of wobble coming out of the pouch with an overhand cast.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2004 at 5:57pm

It may be conducive to your goal, depending on your sling design, to simply insert fletched wooden dowels into the clay glandes before they harden......a bit like the Nerf footballs with the tails.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris)