SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sand casting? (Read 1332 times)
rob

sand casting?
Jun 6th, 2004 at 9:48am

been thinking about casting some lead glandes as i have plenty of lead around from my blackpowder habit. anyway...

i'm in the Northeast (upstate,NY) and have plenty of red clay starting about 6" down in my back yard.

any idea how this would be for sand casting? i remember doing this in metal shop (about 20 years ago), just wanted to ask.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: sand casting?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 11:16am

Welcome Rob,

Be sure to sign up as a member forum.

I think you should be ok, but the glands might be very rough due to the quality of the clay.  Modern ceramic clay is not just right out of the ground, but mixed with other materials and treated.  It depends on what type of composite clay it is, but you might find it hard to shape consistently as well. 

Otherwise, I can't really tell you much.  It's something I've wanted to try for a while, but never had the opportunity to.

Keep us posted,
Chris

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 2:26pm

Rob
I made some lead glandes this weekend. I made the mold out 2 pieces of wood and melted the lead in a tin cup in my charcoal grill. It worked great! Now I just need to give 'em a hurl! They say damp sand works fine also. Just stick your finger in the sand and you have an instant glande mold!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

justin Ball

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 5:49pm

If you just stick your finger in, won't you get a cylinder, rounded at one end, and flat at the other? Flat end cause liquids always find level- think of a glass of water. I watched pewter spoons being made once, and I think the guy used plaster of paris as the mould.

I would suggest the following route:
- take a candle and carve a glande, or soften the wax and form one by hand
- take a plastic cup, half fill with wet plaster
- stick glande halfway in, point down
- fill rest of cup, JUST covering glande
- when set, remove platic cup by ripping it off/apart
- cut down center with a saw, old, coarse hack saw best
- remove glande (stick in oven, over fire and melt out)
-remove top off of mould until the top is just exposed
- use a leather thong, copper wire to hold mould together
- fill with lead
- allow to cool
- remove glande
- finish with a rough file

I've used this technique for making a keel weight for a toy sail boat, a rubber beer bottle for throwing at friends (they're bloody shocked when it bounces 15feet!) and other stuff.

Justin

IP Logged

rob

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 10:16pm

yay! i'm registered.

thanks everyone. lots of ideas to try.

&&"...with slings of twisted wool from which they showered their missiles to break the ranks of the Trojans."

IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2004 at 10:17pm

another way i've seen done is to make a mold of whatever you're making out of styrofoam and bury it in sand just barly and put a small shaft leading up to the surface and pour the lead down the shaft and the motlen lead will melt the styrofoam leavng you with a piece of lead the same dimensions as the styrofoam mind you this is only good for one time uses so it would be kinda dumb for mass production of glandes but if you wanted to make only one of something it would work.
Sean

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark)