Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sounds, Silence, and Iron Slings (Read 1834 times)
BarneyRubble
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sounds, Silence, and Iron Slings
May 26th, 2004 at 10:53pm

Has anyone ever heard a thoing sound coming from their Sling? Although it sounds cool I think it would alert the game down range of where I am shooting at. I am new to slinging and prefer an overhand style with just one partial revolution before release. My stance is holding the retainer and release cords just above and between my brow and ear with the pouch held in front with my other hand taut or tightly (seen on coins or stone relief carvings). The swing revolves downward past my right knee (right handed) towards my back and over my shoulder and then in front of me with the release being at about 10 or 11 O'clock.  Typical ranges are about 60 or 70 yards and sometimes 100 yards with reasonable accuracy.  The projectile sometimes makes vwiz-vwiz-vwiz sound on its path downrange.  Would it be possible to silence the sling maybe with wool tassels at each end of the pocket connections or would this effect performance too much?  Also has anyone made a weighted sling with iron sand sewn inbetween a two ply pocket (ala sap) for more power or is this just hair brained?

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Sounds, Silence, and Iron Slings
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2004 at 11:49pm

Welcome BarneyRubble,

That sound from the pouch is due to it's odd aerodynamics.  During that snap of your wrist, the sling is attaining some pretty decent velocity, and the air vibrates as it tries to move out the way of the pouch, making a whooshing sound.  Some of my pouch designs produce it, and others don't.   You'll just have to experiment a bit to eliminate it.  I'd try smaller pouches and thinner cords first.

The sound projectiles make is different.  Odd shaped projectiles often tumble through the air, causing vibrations, which produces a whizzing sound.  You can eliminate this by using smoother and more spherical projectiles. 

I don't think adding weight to the pouch won't solve any of your sound problems.  What it will do is handicap your range.  When you snap your wrist, you transfer a certain amount of kinetic energy into your sling.  You want as much of that energy to be transfered to your projectile.  Adding more weight to the pouch means more energy is stored in the sling, and not the rock. 

Ideally, you'd want the lightest weight sling possible, and the heaviest payload that feels comfortable.  That gives you the most efficient energy transfer, and thus the longest range.  A couple of the members have made some super-slings made of steel wire or nylon (fishing line) and split pouches (aka lovelock pouch) for this exact reason and also reduced air resistance. 

Chris

IP Logged

Jandro
Tiro

Slinghetto of Da Sun

Dominican Republic
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2004 at 11:54pm

I have heard that sound and it sounds really cool, it happens when I'm doing an underhand shot with much power.

And adding weight to the pouch will make the stone go for a short range because, like Chris said, the weight isn't of the stone, is of the pouch.

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

Jandro A.K.A. Ra

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2004 at 11:50am

Hey There!

You guys just brought up a thought that came to my mind a while back in an effort to help me kick Spencers butt in his "field goal challenge" Don't tell Spencer but, I was thinking of experimenting with a weighted pouch in order to achieve more pouch speed when trying to sling a very light tennis ball. The ball has no wieght and I am thinking that the added pouch weght may give me more speed. I agree that a weighted pouch would be counter productive for slinging stones but do you Physics dudes think it may help with light projectiles?  You know-- the concept of trying to sling with a parachute/tennis ball There is more air resistance to slow it down.??

Actually, I have only made one tempt at the Field Goal challenge and it was windy so I may still be able to beat his 70 yards. Grin A weighted pouch would technically pass the rules since you are not adding weight to the ball. Grin

Give me some feed back---and don't tell Spencer Grin

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2004 at 1:51pm

I'm pretty sure it would help for tennis balls - but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. The argument that you are wasting energy holds up when you are able to max out your energy input. With sub-optimal ammo (tennis balls are as bad as it gets imo) I think you pick up some advantage. See the 20gm glandes thread for some more weighted sling discussion!

Matthias

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - May 28th, 2004 at 3:33pm

Yes, adding wieght for a lighter projectile would probably increase the release velocity.  A light sling and a light projectile means that air resistance plays a big factor than with heavier projectiles, limiting the "muzzel" velocity.

Chris

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2004 at 8:35pm

I've been kicking around the idea of making ammo that screams... Kind of like a falling bomb. It would make bad hunting ammo but would cause some trauma to the local crack heads while I'm out slinking. I've noticed they don't look for someone two or three blocks away with a sling Wink.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)