Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring vs Bird Finger (Read 1421 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Ring vs Bird Finger
May 25th, 2004 at 5:07pm

I've tried putting the retained cord loop on my ring finger, and my "bird" finger.   LOTS!! easier to make really pretty point-first spinning launches of football-shaped glandes with the loop on my ring finger.    FYI I'm a lefty launching underhand.    I hold only the released cord knot with my thumb and forefinger.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Ring vs Bird Finger
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2004 at 5:44pm

I like the wrist retention.  I've got friends who've worn blisters on their fingers from finger-loops.  Although, When I'm using my peruvian sling (my current favorite), I put the loop on my middle finger (right-handed overhand cast).  It just feels weird on my ring finger.  I haven't noticed any differences in how the missile is released.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2004 at 12:00pm

THAT's interesting. I wonder how flight is affected by choice of finger/wrist.

Next question is do you pass the cord outside or inside (palm side) your hand. I've honestly never thought of trying it outside - my first slings never had retention loops, so I just held the cord in my hand, with the retention cord passing between my index and "bird". Release end was held by my thumb only. Come to think of it, this is still the way I sling instinctively. Only use a full hand release with tassels...

Something new to try next time I'm at the beach.

Matthias

- oh, and I use pinky

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2004 at 9:35pm

The loop on the retained cord is on my ring finger, and is not held in my hand at all.   The difference in "action" on the glande is best seen if the glande is a well shaped miniature football.    They will fly point-first with a perfect rifle spiral.  Very pretty to watch!   I form glandes out of potters clay, which I just let dry instead of firing them in a kiln.   Wet they're 76grams.  Dry they're 65grams.  mgreenfield

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2004 at 1:04am

I believe the release style which works best for a person is affected by several things, not the least of which is how a persons body works due to how a person has lived and worked.

I can't sling overhand with any power.  My shouldders simply don't work that way.  I also find that letting the retention cord hang off one finger to be a very uncomfortable style.

I have (until recently) always held the retention cord with my ring finger and run the cord across my middle and index fingers.  When I held the release cord, both cords were being pinched together.   A few weeks ago I made several slings from some very stiff leather and 1/8" diameter nylon cord.  This cord would not be very comfortable slinging large stones, so I make a wide finger loop from some 4 ounce suede.  Very strong, but soft.  I put this loop on my ring finger and across only my middle finger, letting it go out between my middle and index fingers.  This seems to be working well, but I will report later after more slinging.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15)