Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging Mass-Fire/Shotgun (Read 2732 times)
Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Slinging Mass-Fire/Shotgun
May 22nd, 2004 at 11:38am

I tried slinging 5 or 10 pretty small rocks at once and it went flying in a shotgun, pretty far too.  I was wondering if this would be an effective weapon.  I think it might have been usefall is stunning the enemy.  Also I was wondering if people ever sling with two slings at once.  That would be cool  Smiley

One more ?- If slingers ever had to come close to their enemy how would they defend?  My theory is they would carry a small dagger or use their sling to choke the enemy  ??? Oh well.  Any thoughts?

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Re: Slinging Mass-Fire/Shotgun
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2004 at 1:21pm

I think i may have said this before but in a book series i've read, when the slingers had to do close combat they wither fell back to the rear and lobbed stones over the heads of swordsman and the like, or they put a large sling into their pouch and hit their enemies over the head and stuff like that.  Im not sure if this is correct but thats how it was in the book. 
Sean

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2004 at 12:01am

People armed with ranged weapons were generally considered to be light troops.  They would fall back behind infantry if they were threatened. 

Because of their equipment, bowmen were more handicapped, but slingman could easily tuck away or even discard their sling and draw a melee weapon.  The Vikings for instance, would carry slings in their belts, and could easily become either infantry or slingers depending on the situation. 

Chris

IP Logged

SnapCut

USA
Reply #3 - May 24th, 2004 at 1:22pm

Quote:
I tried slinging 5 or 10 pretty small rocks at once and it went flying in a shotgun, pretty far too.  I was wondering if this would be an effective weapon.  I think it might have been usefall is stunning the enemy.  Also I was wondering if people ever sling with two slings at once.  That would be cool  Smiley

One more ?- If slingers ever had to come close to their enemy how would they defend?  My theory is they would carry a small dagger or use their sling to choke the enemy  ??? Oh well.  Any thoughts?

If someone closed in on me fast and my sling was loaded I might use it like a mace and wallop them with it or use it in both hands to deflect, trap, throw or strangle them.  A sling is so many wonderful things Wink

A SLING IS SO MANY WONDERFUL THINGS

IP Logged

The Abhorsen
Tiro

jst cos i dont care doesnt
mean i dont understand!

England leeds
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2004 at 2:09pm

if this was one-on-one id lob a rock at them and/or leg it.
if it was a group of slingers versus a group of melee men then id jst leg it!

Jamie - LEEDS UNITED ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jamietaylory2k  
IP Logged

Justin Ball

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2004 at 6:03pm

I use a slip knot for my anchor finger. I suppose it could also be used for garrotting someone...

IP Logged

Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Reply #6 - May 24th, 2004 at 8:00pm

Smiley I have a good idea to defend slingers:

1. staffsling with spearpoint
2. Sling with spikes attatched to the pouch (sling/flail)
3. a pre-loaded crossbow
4. sword  breaker, i saw it in some book, if you hit a sword with it and pull/twist/etc. it will crack and break it.
5. torch and oil (throw the oil, light it, run!)
6. a horse with an attitude
7. brass knuckles with spikes/claws (like wolverine)
8. ninja stars
9. smoke screen
10. ninja weapons ( a WHOLE lot, many very compact)
11. spiked shield

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2004 at 11:22am

I think, historically, if your slingers were engaging in hand-to-hand, it meant that you'd made some rather serious tactical errors.  Of course, theoretically, slingers could defend themselves with pretty much whatever they wanted to carry in addition to their slings.  If caught unawares with no time even to draw a sword, any long, flexible material can be a formidable weapon in it's own right, used to entangle & strangle.  I doubt ancient slingers had such training, though.

IP Logged

SnapCut

USA
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2004 at 9:42am

Think of the slings similarities to the Manrikigusari Smiley

A SLING IS SO MANY WONDERFUL THINGS

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #9 - May 27th, 2004 at 9:11pm

I vaguely remember some months back someone (newbie at the time I think) mentioning having perfected a pouch that could contain a load of shot which would release acurately for hunting applications like birds etc.  I have no idea who the person was, but I was interested in it at the time which is why I remember.  I think you can do a search of the threads and find it, or if that person is present and reading they can divuldge their secrets  Grin

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)