Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Front Page Text - Uncle Chris Needs You! (Read 12515 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Front Page Text - Uncle Chris Needs You!
May 7th, 2004 at 11:58pm

I want to revise the text on the front page to describe the sling better.  I think the current text doesn't convey what the sling is all about; how it's a historically significant weapon.  I've written up a little blurb that captures that notion better, and wanted you guys (and gals) to comment and help me refine it if necessary.

Old Text:

What is a sling?
Slings are made of many different materials, but all consist of two lengths of cord, fabric, or hide attached to a pouch. One cord has a loop that is typically placed around a finger or wrist. This cord is called the loop or anchor cord. The other cord, called the release cord, is commonly pinched between your thumb and index finger. It usually has a knot at the end to give better grip and provide faster reloading. The pouch is generally leather or woven fibers, and it is used to hold the projectile. Common slings use pouches ranging from 3-7 inches wide (from string to string) and 2-5 inches high. Some slings use the "lovelock" or split pouch, which uses two strings to form the cradle for the rock, as seen in the picture on the right.

New Text:

What is a sling?
The sling is perhaps the earliest projectile weapon used by mankind, except perhaps a rock thrown by hand. It generally consist of two cords and pouch. The cords are held in your hand and a projectile is placed in the pouch. The length of the cords gives the slinger a greater mechanical advantage then just throwing a rock by hand. Projectiles can travel distances over 2000 feet (600m) at speeds exceeding 300 miles per hour (480 kph). There are dozens of historical accounts noting that the sling could outrange the bow. This supremacy continued up until around the middle ages. However, before the advent of more advanced bows (and crossbows), the sling was the premier long-range weapon of it's day, and saw action in almost every major military engagement from the dawn of civilization until the fall of the Byzantine empire.

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Do any non-Americas get the bad joke in my title?

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Re: Front Page Text - Uncle Chris Needs You!
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2004 at 4:23am

Sorry Chris, I can not find the joke and I read the new text three times.  Embarrassed

Although I can not understand every word, I can not expect you to write in such an "easy" english that also a person like me, with just "school-english" behind me can understand everything.

I like the text!
But much of it is just a comparison with the bow.  Why not mention that you can gain very good accuracy also with a sling and that competitions are still held on the baleric islands?

Then you have something from the past, that last up to these days.

The sling lives!

Smiley

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2004 at 9:54am

Yep Chris, I got it... It caused some funny images and makes me wonder how a group of less than 200 slingers are going to take over the worlds golfball factories...(you guessed it I need coffee).

I'm with Ulrica about mentioning more on accuracy and such...

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2004 at 3:29pm

I guess the bad joke in the title is something to do with recruitment posters from the twentieth century.  Yeah, we had those, although instead of Uncle Sam it was Lord Kitchener.
I think I prefer the new text, as is to be expected.  However, I think this is flawed.
Quote:
saw action in almost every major military engagement from the dawn of civilization until the fall of the Byzantine empire.
  I don't think this is true.  Constantinople fell in 1453; most medieval battles did not contain any slingers.   Think of the Hundred years war, the Battle of Lake Peipus, in Russia, the various Mongolian campaigns, nearly every engagement in Asia... no slings.  Lots of battles.  If you said something to do with the Balearic Islanders using slings even up to the first world war, and the fact that slings have been used nearly worldwide, and various other things, then it would be better.  But anyway, good.

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2004 at 1:55am

Yes, English you are correct; I mean the fall of the Roman Empire.  I will revise it to mention the geographic diversity of slings, and some details on accuracy, perhaps through the example of the Balears.

Chris

As for the bad joke in the title, yes, I was referring to the old Uncle Sam (left) recruitment posters (that originated from a similar british poster of Lord Kitchener - right). 

...    ...

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #5 - May 11th, 2004 at 2:37am

Quote:
Projectiles can travel distances over 2000 feet (600m) at speeds exceeding 300 miles per hour (480 kph).

Say what now?

I thought the world record was 467 metres, or 1500 something feet?

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #6 - May 11th, 2004 at 10:28am

That record was attained with something like a 4 foot sling.  Ancient slingers likely used 6 foot, 8 foot, or even longer slings for ranged shots.  I remember reading somewhere they they either dug ditches or build scaffolding to accommodate the longer slings (so it was probably a hybrid underarm style, which makes sense if we're considering at a long range shot).  When you are talking about lead projectiles and 8 foot slings, ranges of 3000 feet seems plausible....

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #7 - May 12th, 2004 at 4:19pm

"... at speeds exceeding 300 miles per hour (480 kph)".

Shocked Shocked  I can´t believe it, impossible for a slinger, it must be a  mistake. With that speed the range would be about 1,200 m. Even a superYurek can do it. I think the maximun speed may be similar to golf drive, about 300 Kph and a range about 500 m or may be near 600 m using lead glandes.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Chris

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2004 at 4:47pm

Techstuff measured 206 MPH (321 KPH) with one of his special slings, and I believe the length was less than 4 feet.  With a 8 foot, low-profile sling, I think 300 MPH is quite possible.  I am willing to reduce it to 250 MPH to make it more conservative.

Chris

He also said he achieved speeds close to 500 MPH with ball bearings:
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10673983...

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #9 - May 13th, 2004 at 11:06am

"With a 8 foot, low-profile sling, I think 300 MPH is quite possible".   

I think the range is not only a matter of sling length because if it is excessive it will make impossible a strong snap.

"He also said he achieved speeds close to 500 MPH with ball bearings"

He he, I remember that, but I didn´t believe it either. I think his measure device was wrong  Wink. If that was possible then the range would be more than 3,000 m   Shocked

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #10 - May 13th, 2004 at 11:17am

How fast does a lead glande need to go to lodge in a stone wall?

"As I believe that the collection of the Society of Antiquaries of London does not include a specimen of the Leaden-pellet or Sling-bullet of the Greeks, I do myself the honour to forward you one; of which, together with the accompanying drawing, I beg the Society s acceptance.          
   This specimen was found lodged in the Cyclopian walls of Samé in Cephalonia. "

From Chris' article.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2004 at 3:35am

Quote:
How fast does a lead glande need to go to lodge in a stone wall?
It depends on what stone, I think.  If sandstone, then it would be remarkably easy, but if it was granite, then I should imagine that it would be incredibly difficult.  However, I would say that speeds would need to be very high in order to achieve even penetration of sandstone.  I think that practical experiments would need to be used.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #12 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:10am

Been the lead softer than stone, it´s impossible the penetration, except into a join betwen two slabs Roll Eyes

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2004 at 10:34am

Yes, lead is softer than stone, but don't bullets mark stone walls at the least, if not penetrate?  And stone items are easily smashed by bullets.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #14 - May 14th, 2004 at 12:16pm

Yes, english, to mark the stone is possible and even to make a wide erosion like a bullet due to the energy of impact, but to lodge into the stone requires much more energy and the lead probably would melt on the impact before penetrating  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick)