Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solid sling pouch (Read 6121 times)
Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Solid sling pouch
May 4th, 2004 at 6:30am

I was wondering if anyone has thought of making a type of hard pouch for a sling that has a hinge in the middle so it can fold around the ammo.  It could be made out of wood or some similar material.  i dont know just a thought if anyone has any info please let me know.
Sean

//Chris - Title changed to be more descriptive
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2004 at 10:41pm by Chris »  

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Re: umm i dont know
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2004 at 9:40am

sounds like a good idea, but i think it would be kinda too heavy. slinging a normal size rock would feel like a feather in that pouch unless the pouch was made out of really , umm, light wood. but then there may be other problems because you would have to get it not to slide out (possible curve the wood). and plus the wind drag on that would be really large. it was a good idea though.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2004 at 11:47am

Yes Sean, Iīve thought sometimes in such a design and have made some drawings. Itīs a spherical box of almost the same size of the projectile, made of aluminium or plastic, very light, and with two tails that act like a scissors. The thongs of the sling are fixed to the ends of the tails and due to the projectil wheight the box is closed preventing the release of the projectil. When you release a thong the box open and the projectile comes out. The device may be simple and without much air drag, just  a little more than the projectil itself. But Iīve not made a prototype yet.
I think that may be useful for throwing lead proyectiles, but as they would not take spin would be better to use spherical ones. Even it may be useful for throwing some shots together.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2004 at 12:54pm

There is some other things you have to consider.  The physics of something like that doesn't work to your advantage.  The energy you put into the rotation, and thus into the projectile, will be lessened because the energy is shared between the projectile and the case.  With a light pouch, most the energy is transferred into the projectile, giving it a much more optimal energy->range ratio.

Chris

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2004 at 2:02pm

Quote:
... the energy is shared between the projectile and the case. 
Chris

Yes, it must be used a superlight material to avoid that, and then we would have a supermodern sling, not as appealing as the ancient weapon. Nevertheless, modern materials are used in atlatl, bows, etc, and  sometimes I wonder if the sling has to follow this way to become popular.
Anyway, I prefer ancient slings.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2004 at 3:01pm

Quote:
sometimes I wonder if the sling has to follow this way to become popular.
Anyway, I prefer ancient slings.

Good question Hondero.  Certainly there are myriad ways to accomplish just that.  However, after much rumination on the subject and some considerable market testing,   I have discovered that such a market would have to be highly 'specialized' to avoid litigation resulting from 'product liability',  a virtual certainty otherwise.  I too, in some ways, prefer slings made from all natural materials.  One of my earlier models used a spherical Delrin 'clamshell' which was clapped over the lead ball ammo and a cylindrical metal sleeve fit over the narrower top portion of the assembly and was connected to the release cord.  It worked, but was not as reliable as the leather star pocket with centripetally activated cord retention ring.  Which is the model I eventually settled on for personal use.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2004 at 1:09am

Quote:
...the leather star pocket with centripetally activated cord retention ring.  .

Iīve seen your star pocket but I canīt guess how the retention ring works and how the projectile is released Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2004 at 3:42am

The term: 'centripetally activated' is really just a shorter way of saying that the ring slides down snug against the pocket as it is pulled outward when the sling rotates.  This creates a tight grip around the ammo and lessens drag.  The release is accomplished in a similar fashion to the traditional sling in that one side of the pocket is released, only in this case the ammo clears the pocket between two tines of the star pocket for a very quick and clean release.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)