Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
release cord getting in the way.... (Read 3202 times)
learningviolinist
Novicius

Sling POO its fun!

release cord getting in the way....
May 1st, 2004 at 8:12pm

Scince i haven't been useing the cannon ball molds chris offerd Undecided sorry but there to expensive for me  im not the kind of person who works a lot so i have no in come for those molds.... any way ive been using rosk i split in pecies but the rocks catch my strings (which are maid of fiber material) and ripping them to shreads... any advice on how to stop this?   (i was thinking a bout putinga weight on the release cord so it would swing outof the way faster but i don't think it will work...

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: release cord getting in the way....
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2004 at 8:38pm

It is very important to use SMOOTH stones. Rocks with sharp edges will shred your slings to pieces. Why are you breaking up rocks? Smooth rocks can be found everywhere. Gravel even has large enough stones to cast. You can always cast rubber balls or tennis balls.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

learningviolinist
Novicius

Sling POO its fun!

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2004 at 12:26am

well jhonny i have to break rocks because i have no other way of making ammo i live to far from a stream with rocks or the ocean and their are plenty of rocks out in my feilds so i take advantage of it. and no there aren't any small rocks in the feilds i would order som rocks from my local harware store but it costs too much for me.and i have only one tennis ball to use as a mold for concrete balls. All in all im pretty screwed thanks for the advice though.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2004 at 9:08am

learningviolinist
   Your kinda stuck, like me. There are very few stones around here. I've got to travel pretty far to find good stones. Looks like your best option is to keep molding concrete and use and reuse them. maybe some bright colored paint would help you recover your ammo easyer.
    One other thing that might help is to never be without a sling. That way if you go somewhere there are good stones you can sling instead of kicking yourself like I did last year in Mexico.

WalkingBird
Who loves going to Mexico  8)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2004 at 12:26pm

Hey there,

I too use  rough concrete since I live near a concrete plant. I know the problem well. Here are some thoughts:

1 If you are new to slinging, your release may be a bit off which will cause tangling of the stone in the cord. I usually was releasing too early when I had that problem. I have had the retention cord ripped off my finer when heavy stones got tangled up.

2 Your motion has to be smooth. Usually if I was trying to throw too fast, it caused tangling; probably due to the "jerking and slack in the cords.

3 Also, I find that  on occation, if I sling a long stone with sharp edges they seem to get hung up in the pouch from time to time.

Even with proper technique, rough projectiles will cut away at  4-6 inches of the release cord coming from the pouch; therefore, I put duct tape tightly wrapped around the cord in this area and replace it from time to time. Or you can use whipping in this area but it is stiffer than tape.

Hope that helps Grin
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2004 at 1:50pm by David_T »  

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2004 at 11:36pm

You could try designing another pouch out of something a bit tougher like leather.  Cloth and fiber materials can catch; this is less of a problem with a continuous material. 

If you don't have access to smooth stones, you can always grab some cheap balls from places like Walmart.  The beach ball type are reasonably hard and heavy, and would make good sling projectiles if you could recover them easily. 

Chris

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2004 at 11:49pm

I would also suggest a different material for the cradle.  I live in New Mexico, and most of the rocks out here are sharp.  I use to use my braided slings, but they would shred fairly fast.  I now use a split pock sling with 3/4" webbing (the sling design use to be in the gallery i think), and paracord lines.  The cradle is basically 10" of 3/4" webbing looped over with a half twist and sewn together.  You can also melt the two ends and "weld" them together.  it's not as strong as sewing them, but it's faster, and mine have not broken yet.  The webbing is extremely tear resistant, and I use it on the rough stones here, and my good braided sling whenever I come across round river rocks.

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2004 at 1:09am

Water balloons make cheap ammo.....you can get the weight you want and they provide great visual feedback.  Of course, one would benefit from tailoring the sling to suit the ammo.  Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy)