Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
All up in the air (Read 3226 times)
WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

All up in the air
May 1st, 2004 at 6:53pm

Spent the afternoon at the lake walking the dogs and slinging rocks. Tryed very hard to get three stones in the air at one time. It's easy to tell when the first one lands because I was using the lake as the target. (I rarely miss  Grin Wink) Two was very easy, but three was just a bit too difficult. Almost made it a few times. Seems that picking the stones is very important and everythings got to be done just right. came real close a few times, but never did achieve it. Makes me think that a well trained groupe of slingers could fairly rain sling stones on enemy formations. If I could get about 2 more seconds of flight time I believe I could do it. I was using a throwing style similar to DavidT as it is a fast single turn throw.
   Anyway just wanted to throw this out to you (pun indended). If you can get three in the air at once please post it, I'll believe you; I know there has to be someone out there who is a bit younger, faster and stronger who can throw a little further a little faster
   Be the first to do it and post THE BIG THREE.

WalkingBird
Who almost made it.

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Re: All up in the air
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2004 at 6:49am

Hummm, I guess the shotgun effect would be cheating a bit. Grin

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2004 at 7:28am

I understand the Idea, walking bird, but if you really want to have three stones in the air at the same time, why not try to put three stones in the pouch right away?   Roll Eyes

It would be nice to test though.  I mean, to throw three stones after each other *smile*

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2004 at 1:49pm

A new challenge is always fun! Sometime this week I will have to give it a try.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2004 at 5:10pm

Srgs9
Yeah, just a bit.

ulrica
Well, i suppose I could juggle the three stones, but it's not quite the same thing.

David T
  It's been fun trying, but it's not real easy. Still I beleive it can be done. Next time theres opertunity I'll be at it again. Maybe switching to glandes would provide the edge needed to accomplish it. Good luck, hope you can do it.

Walkingbird

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 2:09pm

This old post got me wondering, do we have people who can have 3 stones in the air by now?

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 2:38pm

I volunteer to try it next weekend. I suppose if you have two stones in hand and you reload on the fly, it should be do-able.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Saturniid56
Novicius

"Daddy, you sure like
things that throw."

Texas,USA
Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 5:05pm

I am new to this, so I don't know the lingo, yet.  But if you fix a suitably sized rubber band to your arm or wrist and tie the other end to the sling(the end of the sling that is released, I mean) it should return that end back to a quicker retrieval point after each shot....not sure how(if at all) it would impede shot-mechanics(of the throw).  I'd try it out, except for this torn rotator-cuff in my throwing arm(surgery this coming Thursday)...thank God for blowguns....I'd go NUTS if I couldn't launch something at something else for a year! Roll Eyes -Mark

Make the piercing blow!

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 5:44pm

I've made three in the air a few times, but that is with using the rapid fire techique, dunno if that counts? Hope so! Roll Eyes

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:53pm

i have a quick pouch retrieval system that i developed without thinking about it over the time that i sling.  it could allow me to get three stones in the air at the same time.  i only worry about the nearly instant ricochet of stones off of trees where i sling. 
the method of retreival is that i will normaly have a few stones in my hand and my sling in the other.  i hold my left (i am a righty thrower) arm with stones in it close to my side or way out to line up a shot visually.  i fire a stone, swing my sling over my left forearm (at this time at a 90 degree angle next to my side) and slide it over until the pouch is across my forearm.  i then pick up the pouch in my right hand, fit a stone into it, and drawing out the pouch with my left hand i slide the release cord through my fingers until the release knot catches and then i drop the sling and fire again.  it sound long and complex, but once you have it down it is actaully vekry quick.
i often find myself a little impatient at the slow reload times of the gang of kids i am training to be a slinging battalion.

this is the usual scene:
(all standing in a line using overhand or underhand with three stones in hand and one in pouch)
me: fire! reload! ready to fire?!
the others: no.
me: ready yet?
others: no.  okay we're ready.
me: alright.  fire!

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 2:02am

Gard,
I think it does count, so you are the first to report in this thread that you made it.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 9:53am

how many could tint get up in the air at one time. I recall being astounded at his rapid fire slinging. Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15)