Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ultimate ammo machine... (Read 2748 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Ultimate ammo machine...
Apr 30th, 2004 at 11:32pm

I need one of these for another unrelated project - but realised recently that it would make a pretty cool sling ammo machine as well... Who wants one?

Balls come out identical within the batch after a day or two, and spherical to 3 thou...

More info: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/ball.htm

I'm wondering if I can cast a pair of grindstones from portland cement / alumina grit mix...

Matthias

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Ultimate ammo machine...
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 11:47pm

Pretty fascinating.   I wonder if a similar technique would have been known to ancient civilizations as well?  I'd imagine producing stone balls by hand would be time consuming.  Considering ten's of thousands of projectiles could be used in a single battle, a method like this might explain some things. 

Chris

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2004 at 1:22pm

If I understand this correctly, it is basically doing what your average river has done since the beginning of time, except faster.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2004 at 10:41pm

Grin The river that turns out perfectly spherical, weight matched sets of stones is going to be one heck of a slinging mecca once someone tells us where it is!!!

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2005 at 7:25pm

so the stones are placed on the drum with grooves in it then the river spins them around? is that how it works? I wonder if a ball mill would do the some thing. if you did not have the steel balls in it that is.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2005 at 8:27pm

The stones go between the two plates yes. The grooves and balls are self-trueing, so you don't need nicely formed grooves to start with. Thing come out of this perfectly spherical! This is actually functionally identical to the modern machined used to make ball bearings.

A ball mill really just crushes things. The balls act like hammers/rollers, pulverising the stuff (ore, chocolate, fireworks) you put in it. Think cement truck with a couple pickup truck loads of shotput balls.

What you are describing is similar to a lapidary tumbler. This is doing pretty much the same job as a natural river, smoothing off the rough spots. You won't get spheres with any (barely any) naturally occuring stones because they aren't uniform throughout.

Matthias

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #6 - May 11th, 2005 at 8:29pm

thanks if i had a river near by i would try making one. i wonder if i could set up a wind mill?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

snapback
Tiro

snap back to reallity

port alberni
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2005 at 9:42pm

that is facenating. wat kind of project are you doing/ 8)

beware of the horses hoof the bulls horns and the saxons smile.&&old irish proverb from irish proverbs and sayings.

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 9:23am

That's what I'm wondering. So did you build this?

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 6:45am

As a kid growing up in Michigan, I would sometimes find "Indian Marbles".
The Potawatomi tribe made marbles out of stone by directing a small stream of falling water onto a limestone rock in a small hole they had found or made in a granite riverbed rock.

After a year of rolling around inside a hole, the marble was fairly round and some were as large around as a silver Dollar. Of course the hole would get deeper so the base rock had to be small enough to lift up and tip over in order to get the marble out.

You can still find base rocks with holes like these, some have worn all the way through.

ChuckRocks

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker)