spear heads (Read 7816 times)
The Abhorsen
Tiro

jst cos i dont care doesnt
mean i dont understand!

England leeds
spear heads
Apr 27th, 2004 at 12:46pm

does any1 no how 2 make a spear head to attach to a pole?

Jamie - LEEDS UNITED ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jamietaylory2k  
IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Re: spear heads
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 1:12pm

That's a broad question as bone, stone, bronze, etc. have been used over the ages. Do you have a style or time period in mind?

The nut shell answer is yes.

IP Logged

jamie taylor

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 2:57pm

i can use any really, but i want one tht i could make at home without exeptional diificulty.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 10:59pm

You could knap spear points from flint or obsidian if you have access to it, but thats unlikely.  You could get a little piece of sheet metal, and cut out the right shape.  Bone is a possibility as srgs mentioned, but again availability could be a problem.  I'm not really sure if i have any good answer for you. 

As for attaching it to a pole, you have two options.  Either craft the point so it can fit over the end of the pole, which can be glued:

Or, you can make a rectangular incision into the end of the pole, insert a more traditional looking spear head, and bind it with a cord (you need to do this really really tight). 

Chris

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2004 at 2:52pm

....Or you could just get one of Cold Steal's Bushman knifes. I think mine was about $12 and more than worth it... They're one peice with the handle also being a socket (with a hole to pin/screw) to attach to a shaft. The only two problems with the knife is that the handle needs to be wraped (that puppy gets friggen cold in the winter) and the sheath. I pulled the sheath that came with it and used it as a pattren(sortof) for the cover of a much better sheath I made for it and wrapped the handle with P-cord... I've been meaning to make another staff sling and whittle the non buissness end down (I botched the last one) to fit the socket.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 11:52am

If you're gonna buy one, Cold steel makes some pretty nasty spearheads, too.  Museum Replicas has some too.  Probably not quite as cool as making your own, but I got a butt-cap (spike for the end of a staff) from museum replicas and I'm pretty happy with it.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2004 at 6:08am

I was just looking over this thread, and I was thinking; it depends on what the spear would be used for.  Stabbing spears are much different to throwing spears.  I was thinking that a long flint knapped head would be perfect hafted to a five or six foot stave for stabbing, whereas a shorter one could be used on a three foot stave for throwing.  Bone is quite good for a harpoon type thing, but it can be brittle.  I suggest trying google or something and looking up traditional spear heads. That would give people some ideas.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 2:58am

My last spear head was made with a reprofiled chinese machete (imprted chinese diamond brand, really cheap 4 US$ and steel is very nice for the money) tied on a bamboo shaft with hemp cord and  some Araldit (R)  i've used old, and not so old knive blades as well and the steel of a brick layer  wide shovel i also used that steel to make an "Ulu"eskimo knife.
I'd post some pics but i'm new here and i don't know how to.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Mamba

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 12:00pm

Interesting topic. I'm looking into spears at the moment, for a curious reason. I'm living in the USA at the moment and I own various firearms, especially a legally shortened shotgun that's ideal to deter home invasions (they happen!) and burglars.

But in a year or so I'm headed back to Australia, a country that has banned or is in the process of banning anything that looks vaguely dangerous, or looks like it might be used to hurt someone else. No, I don't want to discus how crazy the Aussies are, I know that already.

My concern is: what can I keep for home defence when in Australia?

You can own a shotgun there too, but only with elaborate and expensive measures: annual licence fees, gun club membership etc - all running to around $100 a year (ridiculous!).

So, throwing out the gun thing, and throwing our bows because of the need to leave simple bows unstrung and compound bows in a case (plus all the paraphernalia they require just to shoot an arrow, like release mechanisms), I thought of what I could use to have instantly to hand, and that might be fatal to an enemy at a distance.

Answer: spears.

So now I'm looking for top-notch spear heads to attach to shafts I can buy when in Australia. It should be easy to get the spear heads into the country without arousing suspicion. Better still would be a spear consisting of unscrewable metal sections, a disassemble-able spear.  Ideas?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 10:03am

I just got a cold steel boar spear its strong and if you end up breaking it the shaft is very handy. you can make it into a staff, a staff sling, a walking stick any thing. I broke my boar spear and got a new shaft and i used the old shaft to make my staff sling.   the only problem is that its around $80 for the spear....

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 1:53pm

How did you break you boar spear shaft. From what i remember the boar spear shaft is pretty stout looking. Also, I have a cold steel sambo spear. The nice thing about it is that you can take it down after you are done using it.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2004 at 5:13am

Home defence: a spear is NOT advisable.  Not good for close quarters. If you join any crossbow societies in Australia, then you can keep a crossbow; very good for home defence, and can simply be an effective deterrent.  Also, Australia is almost ludicrously safe; the main things to keep a weapon for would be animals, like snakes, crocs, etc.  Plenty of things that can kill you there.  Depends where you live, of course, as to what will kill you, but rest assured, there is always something.

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 11:56am

Here's a pic  of my spear made with a reprofiled machete blade.

Blade is 11" attached to the bamboo pole with hemp cord and then epoxy coated,  externally is wrapped with some electric black tape.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 4:55pm

Primitive bamboo spear made with electrical tape.  I love it!  Hurray for modern primitives!

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2004 at 6:20pm

The electrical tape is to insulate you from the high voltage coursing through the blade into your enemy from the step coil and battery assembly in the shaft.......buddum bum! Shocked

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)