I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: My Technique
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 5:00pm

First off,  great charcoal/pencil sketch skills!   This graphic depicts only your techniqe and not your actual choice of attire during your practice sessions....right?  If not.....shucks....was hoping to see some pics of the 'epitomy of the modern slingster'! (lol)  Smiley  Great sequential frames there.   A frame or two seems to be missing between frames 2 and 3. (for me anyway)   I am unable to extrapolate what is supposed to facilitate the arc reversal from the graphic, as shown.  The introduction of a few more 'tweener' frames should help.  Then, the sequence could easily be turned into an impressive animated GIF file!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 5:09pm

Thanks Tech!
I think it needs more frames between 2 and 3 also. The attire is just fiction! I wanted the sketches to have an "ancient Greek" feel to it!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 5:14pm

Ok.....(duh).   I 'assumed too much'......and we know what that means!   You are simply doing a 'rocking' motion with the sling to give you a 'set point' to gauge your accuracy.  One's overall accuracy hinges, in part,  on the consistent placement of the 'set point' as the sling momentarily stops before the fluid movement shown in frames 3-6.   Great technique!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 5:25pm

I've just been walking around the room trying to duplicate that motion.   It feels like release is about 70/30 sidearm/underhand, with the slingarm across the chest after follow-thru.   Rite??  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
My Technique
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 5:27pm

This technique allows me to hit consistently a 3ft by 3ft target at 35 yards. I generally cast for accuracy, not for distance. Although I have hit the target a few times at 100 yards.
The first move is a very smooth, graceful movement and then quickly whipped up and around. Kind of like a baseball batter slowly moving his bat before the main swing!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 5:29pm

The nuances that uniquely identify our various styles are showing themselves to be diverse and enlightening....wow.  8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 5:32pm

MGreenfield
YES! That is exactly how it works! It is a mixture of a side/underarm hurl.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 6:13pm

Great drawing and a neat style.  Thats some pretty impressive accuracy too.  Thats certainly on par with the atlatl, spear, and bow.

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 6:56pm

Nice Drawings Johnny!

I predominantly use the overhand style but, I really like the feel of the side-armed release. It is easier on my shoulder.

The other day I was getting frustrated with my accuracy, as usual,  so I took a break and slung some very similar to your drawings. I was coming closer with the side-armed style though I use it less. I was trying to think what made me feel comfortable with it and I desided that it was the fact that my eyes could see the path of the arm and sling unlike with the overhand in which the arm and sling are "out of view" when behind and above the head. Though I focus on the target, the eyes still tract the motion better with the sidearm style since it is off to the side and still well in view.

Overal, I am more accurate overhand but I want to develope accuracy with many different styles since the surroundings do not always fit one style--- trees and obstructions and such.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 8:10pm

I just came in from casting with my shortest sling. It's one that I made for my son a year or so ago and decided to give it a try. From the finger loop to the middle of the pocket it is 19 inches long. I could tell that my accuracy took less effort and concentration. At 35 yards, the cast was more controlled. I need to rebraid a new one, this one is a little to thick(I used to many strings!).
Thanks for all the comments!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 8:32pm

Johhny,  assuming you drew the great sketches, I am curious.  Is your drawing talent relegated to hobby status or do you employ it professionally?  If not professionally......when?   A cursory examination of your  creative writing and drawing skills reveal the preponderance of resources for a great book...... Smiley Smiley

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 8:57pm

johnny do you have a better acuuracy with this technique? Can you use a longer sling because of it being sideways?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 9:07pm

Great illustrations Johnny! Very similar to what I was trying to describe, I have always used this style and it enables me to make a quick throw. I never had been able to make more than one rotation.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 9:19pm

Tech
You flatter me my friend! I can't hold a candle to your vocabulary! Yes, I'm a professional artist working for a publishing firm in Nashville, TN. I do both graphic design and illustration. I have also done a few wall murals. I do have a deep interest in Greek and Roman history and would like to do a book one day on the ancient slinger or light troops(peltasts) in general.

Gun
Yes, you can use a longer sling. I have one sling that is almost 8 ft long that I've used. You can't get much power from it though. There is a point where the thongs get to long and you can't get traction. I think Techstuff could give you the mechanical analysis better than I could!!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)