Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Great Slinging Challenge (Read 6122 times)
longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Re: The Great Slinging Challenge
Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 3:34pm

I will try to get to the high school football field near me, I don't know if I can do 65 yards, tennis balls slow down fast. Looks like this would be a perfect game for two slingers, getting further apart until max range is achieved.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 3:51pm

What style are you all using?  I would think that the multi-arcual overhand style would excel here.  Unless of course one slings hard enough that the backspin causes the ball to rise sharply and effectively 'stall out'.  Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #17 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 3:57pm

Speaking of the overhand style.  Has anyone else here used the 'Whammo  Tracball'?   It is quite fun when played by two users of sufficient skill!   It is intriguing to contemplate the impressive results of such a simple forearm/wrist flick action.   I have toyed with hollow cylindrical ammo somewhat similar to the 'Xylo' toy and there is certainly something there....... Wink.....to put it mildly.  The hand thrown 'Xylo' toy can be easily thrown 100yrds after a bit of practice.

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #18 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 5:51pm

I don't have a name for my style, but I start with the sling hanging, raise my right hand up and forward at a forty five degree angle, crossing over to my left, hand just above my head, then rotating the forearm at the elbow pulling the sling behind me, when it is straight back it is ready for an overhand or side arm whip.
I am still working on nwmanitou style, it starts going the opposite direction from mine,(to the rear) although the projectile is in the same position when the whip starts, it has been dificult for me to change!

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #19 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 8:24pm

I tried the Overhand  Greek style of my #1 video --no rotations
and the Overhand With rotations as in the #4 video under the articles section.

Both seemed to have equal distance

This week I hope to try to out do Spencer.

By the way, where is Spencer? Is he laid up in traction after making his 75 yard field goal Grin

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #20 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 11:25am

David, it is similar to what your video is, no rotations, short quick release, I start all mine from a hanging position, moving up and forward to orient the rock for launch, whether it is overhand, side arm or underhand, a hard habit to break.
I got down to the football field, my best shot was seventy five yards from the goal, which may not be as far as from the thirty five yard line on the opposite end of the field, I think it is twenty yards from the uprights to the goal line.
Oscar

IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #21 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 2:46pm

Actually the endzone is only ten yards long so whatever yard line you're on just add ten yards if it goes through the uprights and you have your total distance

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #22 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 7:07pm

OK I know it's cheating and we all agreed to no tampering with the balls... but I couldn't resist - they are just so "fluffly". In addition to dragging out, my release point seems to be delayed about 5-10 degrees.

So, I taped a cardboard tailcone to a tennis ball. Tests so far are inconclusive, since I lost it in the woods - but it sure felt like it flew better... (hence the losing) you could also *very* easily see the attitude since the ammo was so large. I whiffed a couple before I got the motion adapted for the lighter ammo.

Anyone with an american football field willing to try some controlled tests?

Matthias

IP Logged

Spencer
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 11:50am

Im back.

Its great to hear that some of you took me up on the challenge.  It reallys works best if you have someone who can sling the balls back to you from the goal post.

David, the balls must indeed fly through the goalpost like a field goal.  The tennis balls may not be tampered with.

I have gone with my yonger brother a couple of times.  In fact, he outslung (is this the correct word?) me!  He made it from opposite 30 yard line (a total of 80 yrds from the goal posts).

The only logical conclusion is that the younger you are the further you will sling!  Grin

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #24 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 12:51pm

Ok, playtime's over.   It's time to put the rawhide to the pigskin.   I'm getting Johnny's 8 footer out and a football and I'm gonna sling me a perfect spiral hail mary long bomb special the likes of which the world has never seen.........or drill me a hole to china tryin!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #25 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 2:21pm

Heh, I was wondering how long it would take before someone progressed (regressed?) to this... "Hmm this american football is just about the same shape as these football shaped glandes we're always going on about..."

I think I'll pass on this one. I'm too attached to my arm (and so far my arm has managed to stay attached to me  Grin). How much does a football weigh?

Matthias

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #26 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 2:44pm

Yes.......my humor has definitely taken a sour turn......must.....try.......to hold.......brainfarts.....in..... Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #27 - May 6th, 2006 at 5:02am

This is an old thread, and would only work where there are american football fields, (or would ausie rules work too?) but it can be fun.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #28 - May 6th, 2006 at 5:30am

How about a soccer or rugby field for our Euro members?

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)