Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Great Slinging Challenge (Read 6121 times)
Spencer
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Great Slinging Challenge
Apr 23rd, 2004 at 12:54pm

Here's is something fun to try and compare with others.

Try slinging a tennis ball on a football field and seeing how far back you can get while still slinging the ball through the goal posts.

I have been out slinging a couple of times on a football field with tennis balls.  The furthest back that I made it through the goal post was from 75 yards away (I was 15 yards behind the 50 yard line).  Tennis balls dont carry nearly as well as a rock, but its still great fun to test distance and accuracy.

I think this would be a good standard challenge for everyone to try.  Tennis balls are the same everywhere, and we have an accurate uniform measurement on a football field.

So, try it out; see if you can beat my record!

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: The Great Slinging Challenge
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 1:08pm

Sounds like a good mix of range and (reasonable) accuracy challenge... Football fields don't have a 50 yard line though  Grin. (No uprights either) Maybe I can find a rugby pitch... what handicap do I get for the smaller target area ??

I've never tried slinging tennis balls... seems like 75 yards would be a pretty nice throw with such big/light ammo. I was at the park yesterday and thought that I needed to borrow a border collie and a can of tennis balls for a few hours. I've never been able to figure out how all you guys recover that fancy lead ammo.

Matthias

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 1:26pm

Here is a fun little challenge.....sling one of these:

using a custom fashioned release hook somewhat similar to the one shown here:

Now the
challenge
is to sling it far enough that you can't hear the report at impact.  (This can be done, although I suggest you sling downwind in a stiff breeze). Cheesy

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 1:36pm

LOL  Cheesy

I broke my (20 year old) one literally just the other day because I put two (or was it three?) caps in it to make it louder! Great minds think alike?

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 1:48pm

Really?  Hey you're the first one I've found who has also done this.  How long have you been slinging the cap bombs Matthias?

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 1:52pm

Exactly twice... the first time with one cap, the second time - that's all she wrote. I'm attributing the failure of the "bomb" to the extra caps, though it could well have been a poor casting. It blew apart at the "anvil". Fun while it lasted...

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 2:05pm

BITD......I used to buy the cap bombs by the case lot.  Worked out to only 37cents per unit.  These were the small ones or normal sized ones anyway.  Back then I could sling the snot out of them.  Relatively recently though,  I have played with the giant cap bombs as the small ones no longer have enough mass for me to get a 'purchase' on.   They sail.....they really go!

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 2:49pm

How much do the cap bombs weight, like in oz's or like a golf ball. Do they stabalzie in mid fight?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 4:02pm

i used to have cap bombs.... i used to have like 6 of them..... i wonder where they went.....  ???  i may have thrown them out thought..... oh poops....... well i will look for them and if i find them i will let you guys know how it goes, if not, well..... oh well.!!! lol

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 5:55pm

Hey there Spencer,

Sounds like a good challenge! I'm in Grin I am just headed out for some "Mexican" and will stop by the ball field after. Seventy- five yards hey? Ok what do I get if this 49 year old kicks your young butt? Grin Grin

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 6:16pm

Let's go David!
I'm in the "Club Forties" and let's see if we can whip these youngbloods!!!! Although I'll have to find the nearest football field!!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 8:12pm

Go Johnny Go,

Hey, isn't that a song? Grin  Yeah, lets do it.

Spencer, You wrote:

"Try slinging a tennis ball on a football field and seeing how far back you can get while still slinging the ball through the goal posts. "

I would assume that you mean the ball must pass #1 Between the uprights and #2  Over the cross bar to be valid? Just as a valid field goal in football  Correct? I would also assume no modifications of the tennis ball such as adding water or something ? D   R  U   G      free and all that stuff too I assume? Grin

Well, the Mexican was great and I then headed to the park where I found a not too well marked football field (American Football field that is). It had goal posts so I paced off the center going from each goal post and then found what I think was 65 yards. There was a breeze coming at me but there were soccer players at the other end so I had to sling into the wind. I think I made it over the cross bar but I will need to find a better marked field and bring my son to varify if the ball goes over the bar---it is hard to tell at that distance.

I was using my nylon, 4 strand, round woven, 25" sling with a 3"x 7" leather pouch. I tried my official slinging .org sling but, between the light parachute cord and the light tennis ball, I could not get as good of distance even though it is about 4" longer.

Tomorrow Spencer. Maybe Tomorrow Grin Grin  If I make it to Salt Lake, you can take me out to dinner Grin I was just there last year to see the home office of a company I sell for.

Anyone else up for the challenge??
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2004 at 7:50am by David_T »  

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
The Great Slinging Challenge
Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 8:26pm

Go David!
I slung my tennis ball  around 65 yards with little problem, UP HILL, this evening between the thunderstorms. My house is on a hill and I just walked down my driveway and slung away. I think on a level football field I should make 75 yards. We'll see! We may just tie Spencer!! I did the "helicopter" style cast.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2004 at 7:44am

Johnny,

Sounds good. You will really need someone at the goal post. I could not tell for sure at that distance if the ball was beyond or in front of the cross bar when it dropped. And then some of my better shots missed left or right. I like the challenge--a combination of accuracy and power.

Hey Spencer,

Read my email and verify the rules of your game. Us "old kids" want to beat you fair and square Wink I must say, slinging tennis balls is a bit  like slinging marshmellows.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 1:33pm

It may be hard to find someone willing to stand downrange by the goalposts. Maybe some SCA knight willing to test his armor...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick)