Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cub scout slingers (Read 5778 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Cub scout slingers
Apr 15th, 2004 at 9:40pm

We just got back from a Cub scout meeting and I was allowed to teach a course on slinging. The kids loved it! I braided six slings out of jute and sewed on blue jean pockets. We then took rubber balls and slung away in a basketball court. Even the parents took up slings and had a go! I was suprised how quickly most people got the hang of it. The kids kept slinging until we turned the lights off! The sling is simply timeless!! Cheap, simple, easy to make and with a GLORIOUS history! Long live the sling!!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Cub scout slingers
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 10:05pm

Cool!

I'll bet they had a ball.

We took 12, 7-12 year olds on an overnight hike and camp out. Brought  out  the  slings at one of our rest stops and nobody wanted to put their packs back on! There were river rocks flying in all directions Grin

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 10:24pm

You guys were slinging rubber!!! balls inside a basketball court!?!!  Grin  Way braver than me!

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 10:34pm

They were large(tennis ball size) and soft, but springy. Don't worry, no one got hit or windows shattered!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 11:03pm

I wonder if it would be fun to play dodgeball with tennis balls and slings... mwahahahahahaha(evil face & laugh combined into one little expression)

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

WildAtHeart
Descens

woo hoo

Atlanta GA
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 11:10pm

I may be teaching my little brother's cub scout group (4th and 5th graders) about the sling and possibly the slingshot as well. Do you think I should let the kids build their own slings with parachute cord and blue jean material? I'll show them how and all that.
Give me some ideas on what I should do in this lesson!
It will probably be taught outside on a field

WWW wormscout13  
IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 11:31pm

From personal experience, if it takes too long to make the slings they'll loose interest. I'd suggest having much of the sling pre-fabricated, but with just enough left to do for the scouts to feel they "made" it. 

When I'm done with school I'd absolutely love to be a scoutmaster. One of my other hobbies involves being comfortable in the woods using what's already naturally there. I had one scoutmaster that never seemed to be out of place outdoors. He was always clean, comfortable, and managed to cook some meals I would have trouble producing in a normal kitchen let alone a little fire in the middle of the woods. As nice as modern ammenities are, there are just so many little skills, and the appreciation that comes with them, that have been lost. How many people do you know that if hungry and handed a live chicken would know how to properly butcher, dress, and cook it?

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 6:40pm

Having been an Assistant Scout Master, I tried incorporating slings into several activities.  Some of the boys would tie the cords together loosely and wear them like sashes.  I even joked we could form a new group to rival Order of the Arrow. 

Chris

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 7:43pm

It's really great to see that some of you good folks are taking time to spend teaching kids. In this crazy world it's nice to know that there are people out there who still care and are making a difference.

MY hats off to you guys.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 11:28am

Bravo Johnny! Mass recruitment, that's what we need! Actually, thinking about it, we don't. I think kids will benefit from the activity, but I'm quite happy being the only slinger here in my town (in fact probably the entire East Coast of Yorkshire!). I'd hate for it to take off as some cool new fad sport with £50 super slings for sale in the shops etc. etc. I revel in my anonymity, and the fact that walkers on the beach probably think 'what the &*$* is THAT guy doing?!!?'

But I am doing my bit. I work 1:1 with an 11 year old boy at school who has 'behavioural problems'. As a reward for a good week we go sling beanbags on the soccer field. On Monday he made his own sling and we'll test it out on Friday (If he has behaved well enough all week). He really can't wait ...

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 12:03pm

I know what you mean Mithras... Then again I'm not sure what the ratio would be between sling addicts and slings that end up in attics.
  Having taught kids and adults(bigger kids) things like how not to die in the woods as well as how to build crystal radios few realy practice or retain what they learned after about a week out of class. They would rather play vid games and lesten to cd's...(insert rant about mindless masses, etc. here Roll Eyes )... At least that means more woodland and radio parts for me not to mention places to go sling 8) .

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2004 at 4:33pm

I taught a sling class too, a while back. For the slings I just assmembled the parts one leather patch and a pair of cords for each sling, and showed them a way of tying on the cords.

Then we when out for some slinging, and quickly encountered an officer of the law, who helpfully suggested we practice our art out of the city limits...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2004 at 8:18pm

The only greif I've gotten is their intrest. Boomarangs, atlatl, sling and staff slings. It's kind of fun to watch them try with their pressed uniforms and bulky gear... "errr, Sir you're better off useing that loud sling on your hip for now..."  Roll Eyes Of course slinging tennis balls looks pretty harmless. Not sure what the out come would be slinging golf balls, rocks or glandes in public, but I bet it wouldn't be as frendly.

IP Logged

me

I sling therefore I am.

Rowlett, TX, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 2:18pm

Johnny wrote on Apr 15th, 2004 at 9:40pm:
We just got back from a Cub scout meeting and I was allowed to teach a course on slinging. The kids loved it! I braided six slings out of jute and sewed on blue jean pockets. We then took rubber balls and slung away in a basketball court. Even the parents took up slings and had a go! I was suprised how quickly most people got the hang of it. The kids kept slinging until we turned the lights off! The sling is simply timeless!! Cheap, simple, easy to make and with a GLORIOUS history! Long live the sling!!
Johnny

Thats awesome! Any pictures? I bet you made their day! Bet they are still thinking about it during recess. Hopefully when they grow up they will pass the torch.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 4:55pm

By now they are grown up. It's still a great story though.  For years I had a gaggle of young slinging disciples in my neighborhood. They are all in their twenties now and very few of them still live around here.  I keep up with a few of them online. I hope they pass the knowledge on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, vetryan15)