Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinger's shoulder? (Read 5434 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Slinger's shoulder?
Apr 14th, 2004 at 11:07pm

Do any of you suffer from muscle or joint pain from slinging? I know I'm not a young whipperSnapper anymore, but I'm in great shape. I work out 6 days a week(running 12 miles a week+weight lifting). My shoulder throbs at night when I sleep. I was wondering if anyone has the same problems.
Thanks
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: Slinger's shoulder?
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2004 at 11:33pm

All I have to do is think about slinging and my shoulder starts hurting.

Even when using good technique, the shoulder gets a lot of torque from the slinging motions.

jeff <><  who hates pain

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2004 at 11:50pm

I have had various shoulder ailments over the years.  Not knowing which portion of your shoulder is feeling the pain....I would guess that if your condition is anything like one I used to endure it is either rotator cuff or subacromial bursa related.  If you feel your pain at the outside of the shoulder usually during sleep on that side, you almost assuredly have rotator cuff issues.  If your pain is more toward the top of the shoulder then it could be the bursa.   In both cases,  I found relief with my own brand of 'treatment'.   I used DMSO and Food Grade H2o2 and Garlic Juice mixed in a 1:1:1 ratio and it helped immensely.  The DMSO acted as the carrier agent for the peroxide to increase oxygen in the area and garlic (which has over 30 different sulphur compounds) increased blood flow in the area, among other things!  At our age,  blood flow to the finer tissues starts to become compromised and natural methods of increasing blood flow to these areas is a plus!  Do you happen to know your cholesterol level?  If it is high.....now is the time to take action.   Old Arthur could be paying a visit and it's wise to show him the door now if possible.   Also,  and this is not a popular topic for anyone......It is at this age that many problems stemming from one's colon begin to 'rear' their ugly heads.....(bad pun, I know.)   One may be sickeningly surprised at what one is carrying around unnecessarily.  I know I was.   I HIGHLY recommend trying a product called Oxy-powder.   I could write a smal treatise on the subject.....suffice it to say it has already been done.  A book called 'Death begins in the colon"  is a must read for those interested in their continued health.   Getting the colon cleansed with a Colonic treatment can leave you feeling years younger in minutes, quite literally.  The less expensive route is the Oxy-Powder.   Many celebrities and 'power people' use it continually.  It is a bit pricey.   It really works and one can easily see the efficacy of the product in various ways.  Not only will you feel better but you can prick your finger before the treatment and your blood may likely be a dark scarlett red.  After just a couple treatments.....the same act will reveal noticeably brighter blood revealing the increase in blood oxygen content which you will already be feeling.   Also,  I have found high strength NdFeB magnets are great for problem areas like joints/tendons.   Magnets have been proven to speed healing times in broken bones and stress fractures among a host of other ailments.  A quick 'caveat'.....One can readily find a host of warnings and scathing diatribes against DMSO for instance.  I should point out that the main detractors for it's use in humans label it as a 'dangerous solvent'.   I don't need to tell you that many of these same parties use it as the carrier agent in all manner of pharmaceutical patch products today, such as the Nicotine patch, for instance.   So what it really amounts to is .....WE can do it but not YOU....for you it's too dangerous.....(and cheap)  to be doing it yourself.    As I fear I have become a walking billboard for modern 'quackery'   I'll hop off the stump and leave it at that.    Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 12:23am

Johnny, is the pain sharp and at the top of your shoulder, just above the joint? If you raise your arm straight up does it trigger the pain? If so I may know what's causing it. I threw my arm out slinging a few years ago. If I threw anything without a lengthy warm up my shoulder would throb for days. I finally went to a doctor to get it checked out. Luckily, it wasn't bursitis, rotator cuff, or cartilage damage. It was a subluxeting shoulder. Essentially the muscles and tendons in the front of my shoulder had stretched out, causing my arm to try to dislocate through the front putting undue strain on the muscles and tendons on the top of my joint. I guess it's a common sports injury for volleyball, baseball, tennis players, and apparently slingers. Several of the people I made slings for later complained of the same pain. I got it to go away nearly permanently with some simple excercises. I'd hold a 10-15lb dumble with my arm at my side, the elbow bent at 90 degrees. Then I'd rotate the barbel out away from me without moving my elbow from my side. It will really start to burn in the shoulder. I'd also recommend Millitary presses with light to moderate weights. Much like the injuries TeckStuf developed from archery, I believe the pain from slinging is due to an imbalance of muscle strength and flexibility. Your body is a suspension bridge, balanced by opposing muscles. If one group gets to strong or to weak injury and pain will ensue. Now I can't say for sure what might be hurting your shoulder, you may need to see a physician, but try the excersises and see if it helps. It's been my experience that they help almost immediately.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 2:38am

I've learned 4 things about this.

Underhand slinging seems to be much easier on the shoulder than overhand.  You might want to make the switch if things don't get better.  

Some upper back exercises in your weight lifting sessions might help aswell.  Large rear delts help stabilize the joint.  

I hurt my shoulder slinging a few years back but ice seemed to really take care of it.  Just an ice pack applied for about 10 minutes right on the sore spot can help reduce the inflammation in there and allow healing to start to take place.  Always apply ice for 10 minutes after any sports strain or sprain, or even pulled muscle.  It will cut your healing time down to half and save you time in the long run.

Wait till your shoulder is completely healed before you sling in a way that could irritate it again.  

www.ctcream.com is also great as a healing aid for sports injuries.  

Ben

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 4:00am

The first time I was slinging, my shoulder was in pain the next day, with, I think, a very strong, painful pulled muscle.  After that, it has mostly been ok.  I use overarm all the time, and that is the only time it has ever damaged me.  But it was rather painful.  I think the most painful injury ever caused to me by a weapon is probably when a bow of mine broke.  It was a big bow, and it cracked after I had started leaning in, so the upper limb slammed into my jaw.  It was very painful.  No lasting damage though.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 12:16pm

Sounds like you're getting an abundance of advice, but for what it's worth...

Slinging's never hurt me, but Tae Kwon Do has seriously messed up my back.  I used to have 'episodes' where I'd be unable to anything but lay on my back, legs in the air, moaning.  After seeing multiple medical doctors, few of whom had anything helpful to offer, and a chiropractor, whose treatments worked wonderfully but never lasted, I discovered Shiatsu -- not the massage parlor "Hot Rocks, Swedish, Shiatsu, and Facial" stuff, but the real, hard core Asian medicine.  The problem was that I wasn't stretching opposing muscle groups.  A couple of sessions getting stretched back to 'factory specs' and some additions to my routine have all but solved the problem.

Basically, I'm saying listen to nwmanitou! 

Get well soon!

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 12:23pm

Make sure it's not a rotator cuff, & if it is, get a doc & physical therapist in on it.    Been there, done that, no fun.   My left arm range of motion just kept getting less & less & the shoulder more & more sore.   OK now w bunch of physical therapy (no surgery thank heaven), but I not gonna do a lot of overhand slinging for sure!   mgreenfield.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 9:33pm

I'm going to take all this advise and protect my shoulder! Although, I have two doctors and a intensive care nurse in the family, maybe they can help me along the way!
Thanks for the info!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 12:26pm

I suspect that this is due to a slinger going into the sport without a lot of prior conditioning. The movement, especially of an overhead, puts a lot of strain on the shoulder joint. There are many exercises you can do to help keep that from happening. Google "scapular stabilization" and "rotator cuff".

Or you could find a personal trainer and tell them you need a personalized slinging program! Wink

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 6:45pm

Slinging may cause side effects such as fatigue, dehydration, and shoulder pain.  Ask your doctor is slinging is right for you.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 8:36pm

lol.....also may cause dizziness, shortness of breath.....and impotence if used in a manner inconsistent with product labelling.  Tongue

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 11:36pm

Lol Grin

Yes, exactly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)