Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sling ideas and tutorials. (Read 3382 times)
goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
sling ideas and tutorials.
Apr 10th, 2004 at 6:55pm

i have made the braided sling idea and the sling in 20 steps ideas found in the article sections. and i am going to make the 3 string sling soon. but i have started reading more of this forum and i am wondering. you guys are giving awesome ideas for these long distance slings and stuff like that. why dont you make articles for them and submit them so that our less talented people on the forum (me) can make them to! lol like i have a couple ideas too. the fishing line idea i saw was awesome. and i like what i read here. but you guys were talking about thin metal wires in another post and like where would you get those?  ???lol i cant wait to make a long distance sling. i live right on a huge river so i have all the room in the world to sling YES!  Grin

oh and another thing. when i first started slinging, i never would have thought that it required so much practice. it looks so easy. and awesome! but now i realize that once you start you just cant stop and you want to be better and better. i have been aiming at the same target in my HUGE backyard for a while. and i finally hit it dead on after like 50000 tries lol! and i completly took out the target. i felt so awesome and i had such an amazing feeling. i think that is the most accomplished i have ever felt in my life. it is hard for me to aim since i have little eye hand co-ordination. but for some reason when i am slinging i am feeling so alert and good. i'm usually within like 1 meter of the target i am aiming at. but, lol sometimes i am so off and it just goes flying away and i am like DAMNIT! hehehehehehe! but slinging is one of the best experiences in my life!

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: sling ideas and tutorials.
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2004 at 11:22pm

It definitely is one of those rewarding sports.  I think because it's so primitive and relies so heavily on the skill of the slinger, it's all that more satisfying when you land that great hit.

As for articles regarding people's long range slings, they'd be a welcome addition to the site.

Good luck Goblin.  All this practice you're putting it will pay off I'm sure.

Chris

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2004 at 5:02am

I'd quite like to know how to weave.  I have made a little primitive tool, a bit like a specific loom for sling pouches, but whenever I have woven before, it always seems too loose at the end.  I have made just one good quality pouch.  It would be nice to have an article on that, I think.
  I think slinging is rewarding too.  I shoot with bows and crossbows, and even air rifles, but they seem quite... easy, I guess.  Especially crossbows (all home made, of course.)  All you need to do is point and click, basically.  Slings are more difficult, and hence, more rewarding, to use.  Also, ammunition is easier to find or make.  (actually, I use chinese crossbows methods, and basically a Chinese quarrel is a bamboo shaft with a leaf shoved on one end for flights.  very easy to make, and I don't need to go to the beach to do it.)  The only other weapon where I need anywhere near this amount of skill to use is the atlatl, but even that is easier than slinging.

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2004 at 3:37pm

what is an atlatl??? ? i know what a bolas is, almost the same basic principle as a sling, but i dont know what an atlatl is.

IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2004 at 8:03pm

theres some info in the random weapons forum.  If you dont understand what they look like you can search google or yahoo images for pics.  It is basically a stick thats an extension of the throwing arm that helps in the throwing of "darts" by almost doubling the distance and power.  i tried to make one out of a dead pine branch and failed misirably.  I think it would be fun to bet someone that you could throw a dart farther then them let them use their regular arm and then you whip out the atlatl and launch one a far distance farther then them.  I havent done it myself but i read it in a book.  Hope this helps Wink

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 5:59am

Yeah, I'd go with what Sean says.  I have been making atlatls for a while.  Most of the information came from the internet.  There is plenty out there.

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 1:31pm

awesome! it sounds amazingly friendly! i think i just may look around about them!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 4:01pm

Yeah, they are great fun.
I have worked how to weave well from pictures in the gallery and forum.  I used a comb - an idea from a picture.  In fact, two combs, with the cords stretched between them, and then I started weaving.  I did an amazingly tight weave, well, to me anyway.  About as tight as I could hope for.  And the sling works well, but the cords are too short for me, I think.  It measures barely three feet in total length.  But it works well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy)