Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bonking (Read 1236 times)
Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Bonking
Apr 5th, 2004 at 11:37pm

historically did people in combatuse slings for hitting the emeny?  In the Redwall series by Brian Jacques the slingers use their slings in close combat as sort of a club.  Im not sure if this is true or not because the book is about mice and other woodland animals building great big structures and then defending the from invaders and such.  i was just wondering.
Randomguy

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Bonking
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 12:22am

Actually, it seems that the sling was primarily as a ranged weapon.  In fact, slingers could out-range archers, so up until about Roman times, they were the premiere ranged technology for ancient civilizations. 

Slings can be used close range as well.  We know they were used in sieges, both in attack and defense, where engagement distances would have been sub 100 feet at times.  People also hunted (big) game with slings, which required extraordinary accuracy (instead of a hail of slings stones into enemy formations).  I would assume that this distance would be sub 100 feet as well. 

Chris

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Rat Man)