Glande fiasco (Read 7881 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Glande fiasco
Apr 5th, 2004 at 10:54pm

Well, I tried to make some cement glandes last weekend.  It was a total waste of time.  I used two-part plastic eggs with a sprue hole cut in the top.

The mix was simply too thick to squeeze from a bag into the eggs, no matter how soupy I got it.  Nothing worked.

On the up-side, I got a friend and his sons interested in slinging.  They made their own sling and had a ball.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Re: Glande fiasco
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 11:35pm

JeffH
  I've been thinking about cement glandes, but havn't tried this yet not having as much time as I'd like. But if you do please let me know if it works.

Take some plastic sandwich bags, used is ok and cheap is ok. mix up some ready mix and put it into the sandwich bag forcing it  more or less into one bottom corner. Twist the rest of the bag together tightly and tie it off with one of thoes twisty ties. Hang it on the cloths line to set up. The pointed corner of the plastic bag and the twisted end should form a nearly purfect glande. It doesn't really matter how wet or dry you make the mix because it should still form fairly well to the bag. Just don't use a pleated bottom bag which will not work.

Like I said I haven't tried it yet, but it should work, the corner makes one point and the twist makes the second oposite point.

Anyway, hope it helps.

Let us all know.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 8:23am

I made some clay glandes, handmoulded.  Baked in a kiln and everything.  Probably easier than cement.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 9:24am

Cement glandes do work!
I bought the regular cement but sifted out the rocks, leaving the fine powder. I then mixed it soupy enough to pour out of a plastic cup. The plastic egg holes were cut out slighty bigger to take the cement.  You need to let the cement try for about 5 days in the mold before prying apart.  They will break apart if it does not dry out in the mold. Further drying is needed once out of the mold. Once you sling these glandes, and see how straight they fly, you will sling nothing else. My accuracy has improved 100%.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 8:40pm

I used type "s" mortar, no sand, just the powder.  Very strong structural grade stuff.  It would not squish out of the sandwhich bag I used.

I will try something else in the future.

The weight of the cement should be great.  David T's tennis ball glandes weighed about 5 oz.  Stones I have thrown at that weight were wonderful.

jeff <><
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2004 at 10:58pm by JeffH »  

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2004 at 9:33pm

Warning
Don't use the mortar for tiles. I tried it last weekend and when I tried to remove them from the mold, they just fell apart.  I was slinging today and could not get over how well my accuracy has improved. These cement glandes are a dream!! I also take a file and smooth off any rough edges. Don't be afraid to get the mix soupy enough to pour out of a bendable cup. And you need to make the holes bigger on the molds. It works, just keep trying!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Sean

(@")=====@(kirb y boxing)

Florida
Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2004 at 10:01pm

I want to make some clay ones but im not sure where to buy clay.  where did u get urs english?

*shatter* I HIT A WINDOW RUN!!!!!!
sharpieman99  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 5:57am

At school we have a kiln and some clay.  I had to pay to use it.  I would say that you can probably get clay at craft stores, in fact, I am sure you can (I get most of my strings etc from hobby/craft stores, and they mostly have clay there).  Anyways, I suggest that is where you look.

IP Logged

Eudave

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 7:22pm

use plaster of paris

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 9:57am

I don't think any of these members are active anymore Cheesy The post is a LITTLE past it's sell-by date.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 8:32pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOHURuAf5iY
Look about the 5 min mark... he discusses concrete  strengths versus water content in the mix.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:41am

lol, yeah you don't often get replies from 15 year old threads Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 12:46pm

I was 6 when this thread was made.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 3:18pm

Oh god, I feel old!

I was 8 when this was made. Tongue

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 3:55pm

Gonna pin this post for 15 years ahead. I should be about 36 when I read this. Then I will bump this thread.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick)