Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member (Read 2816 times)
Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Apr 5th, 2004 at 3:33am

Hi everybody. I came across this very interesting website yesterday, and I thought I'd introduce myself.

While doing research on bows for a MUD (text-based internet game) I'm working on, I found some links to sling-related websites, which sparked my interest. As most of you, I made some slings when I was a kid, but I wasn't very successful with it - I couldn't hit a barn to save my life, unless I was inside it.

Anyway, today I will raid some local stores (starting with Biltema and Obs) looking for suitable materials to braid a sling out of. Hopefully, I'll find something, and be able to make my first sling tonight. Then there's the problem of finding somewhere to practice, but that shouldn't be too problematic.

Wish me luck!  Grin

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

friebejr

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Re: New member
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 4:23am

Hi, Enfors!
You are wellcome!
In order to find someone to sling with you, try doing the same I did here: Start to scream in the middle of the street, than look angrily to everybody, and say: "OK, Goliath, if you don't come to sling with me you know what I''ll do right now, don't you?" Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Of course it is a joke, I have not done it... yet!!!!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 5:54am

Hej Enfors!

Someone more from sweden, hee??
So I´m not the only one anymore!

When I visit my brother in Karlstad next time maybe I have some time to come and see you.. So we could sling together. Would be nice for a change!

Varmt välkommen!!

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 8:21am

Thanks for the warm welcomes  Smiley

I took an extended lunch break today, and went to Biltema. They sell rolls of 95 meter hemp, 1.5 mm thick - perfect! I picked up one of those, and went home to eat. Afterwards, I started braiding my sling. I got about one third done before I had to leave for work again. I'll finish it later today, while waiting in the car outside the mall while my girlfriend does the shopping  Cheesy I sure hope nobody I know will see me, sitting there in the driver's seat, fiddling with a braid that's attached to the steering wheel. I can't wait to try start hurling stones  Smiley

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Enfors
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Karlstad, Sweden
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 3:56pm

I took a walk through the woods today after work, to try out my new sling. And to my surprise, I was able to sling stones and pinecones in the gereral direction I intended in more than 50% of the cases. On occasion, I even hit the tree I was aiming for (but only from a distance of about 6 or 7 metres, of course).  And I was able to hurl stones about 60 or 70 metres which surprised me too, considering I'm an utter newbie and my sling is only about 30 cm (a foot) long. I've since made a new sling which is close to twice as long. It'll be interesting to see how they compare.

-Enfors-&&

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 6:42pm

Welcome Enfors,

MUD aye?  Great stuff.  I'm working on a MMORPG with a friend.

Anyway, I'm glad you found this site.  I set up this site to revive interest in slinging, so it's great to hear that it contributed to your interest.

Chris

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 10:56pm

Enfors
  Welcome, and good luck with your sling building. There is lots of good info. to be found on this site. Make yourself at home and as any questions you like, there are lots of knowledgable folks here who are always glad to help.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris)