Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stalking (Read 11160 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Stalking
Reply #30 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 9:03am

Hunting regulations in England would be considered draconian in America.  Bowhunting is illegal, except for hunting vermin.  You have to have a gun, and a good permit for it, as well as the right type of ammunition, and you can only hunt deer with a rifle.  Also, gun ownership is strictly regulated.  But stalking is allowed - it just means that you don't end up with meat at the end of all of it.  I have tracked and stalked foxes and deer for a few miles in the woods and forests, and I think it probably makes it easier to get close to animals if you aren't hunting them because you don't have expectations so high, and you won't be worrying about getting the right shot, that kind of thing, so you will be more relaxed, and relaxation is vital when it comes to stalking.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #31 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 6:39pm

back to quick moccassins how about two squirrle hides skinned sock style pulled right over the feet
it's in john mccpheasons book naked into the wilderness can't remeber if it's one or two

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #32 - Sep 8th, 2004 at 9:37pm

They would have to be two huge squirrels for me. size 14.

You know what they say about guys with big hand and big feet don't you?
They make good clowns.   Grin Grin Grin

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #33 - Sep 9th, 2004 at 1:58pm

Hhahahha thats what i say too gun. People say i have massive boat feet and i tell them the same thing.

haha very few people get that one.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #34 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 5:33pm

It is very nervewracking to stalk when your hunting: especially after you've waited for days to find the deer and you know that one mistake could send them bounding off before you get a shot. 

solobo88  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #35 - Sep 10th, 2004 at 8:49pm

But thats all the fun in it. That also why it is called hunting and not killing because you don't kill something every time you go out.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Sep 11th, 2004 at 12:40pm

Yeah, but imagine what it would be like for a stone age hunter - everything hanging on the kill.
  I find that if an animal goes bounding off, it is best to wait a little while, maybe five minutes, for it to calm down and that kind of thing - deer tend not to go very far (foxes do, though) because they are stupid and forgetful, and because they are running faster than normal, they leave deeper tracks, and therefore easier to find.
  Tracking is the bigger brother of stalking - much more difficult, easily confused and sometimes more important.  Some tracks are easy to identify, like deer hooves, dog tracks, foxes (furry, smaller dog tracks), and some other animals like birds and squirrels.  If you can't find the deer (tracking), you can't get close to it (stalking), and can't get an accurate shot at it (killing).  So all these things are inter-connected, accuracy, stalking skills and tracking skills.  (Of course, if you live in a game rich environment, it may be possible to simply come across various animals).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man)