Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stalking (Read 11166 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: Stalking
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 4:01pm

I have stalked deer and foxes quite a lot.  Deer tend to be a bit jumpy, but it is easy to get within ten metres.  I have been stalking animals for fun rather than for hunting for quite a while now - I have been close enough to be able to poke deer with a stick numerous times.  It would be so easy to kill one - but of course, that is illegal.  I have followed deer through a whole wood many times - if you make a mistake, then it is easy to follow fresh tracks to near the deer, and once you are near, it is easy to find the deer again.  I like stalking in late autumn, because it is easiest to see the animals, and they are often very active, searching for food and other things.  No broad foliage makes it very easy - but last autumn, I knew hardly any of the stuff I know now.  Can't wait for autumn to start.  My favourite season.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #16 - Sep 3rd, 2004 at 8:33am

You guy should try to do some stalking in Arkansas. When it turns fall hear all the leaves fall. Then we get one of the arkansas winter days of 85 so all the leaves get extremly dry. So you can't walk in the woods without sound like a bear. I have even notice that deer sound extremly loud when they walk thru the woods. Your best bet is to get some kind of stalking shoe. They slip over you shoe and they work great. I guess they do about the same as moccasians.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2004 at 2:54pm

Well, however you do stalking, it is still one of the most useful survival techniques to be able to do - weapons are comparitively easy by comparison.  You use a hefty throwing stick for hunting game or a longrifle, but however you do it, you have to have the same skill - that of being able to get close to game.  I'd love a pair of mocassins (I want some deerhide actually, to tan and make mocassins and other things) but it is still fine to do it in regular shoes.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #18 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 1:29pm

hey if any one knows how to make mocassins let me know i would like to make some. Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 3:09pm

I know how to make moccasins, but the thing is not skill, but availability of buckskin for producing real ones.  Making them out of paper is easy.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #20 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 3:29pm

i have leather that work?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #21 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 3:49am

I have always used rubber slippers with thin souls helps keep your sent of the ground.
I recently saw some amazing things done in bare feet
such as three mile climb up the side of a mountain across loggs and all i was rather impressed. and jealous

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 4:01am

Yeah, I'm sure leather would work.  It's better if it's brain-tanned, but vegetable tanned, like most leather is, should be ok, I guess.  There are plenty of designs to use, like the Creek moccasins on www.nativetech.org. ; They look quite difficult as compared to other styles I've seen.  And remember that with moccasins, breakages are very common.  The sole will wear thin or rip after about a day of rough use.  Native Americans spent the day walking in moccasins and the evening repairing them.  Keep that in mind when choosing a style to use.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #23 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 11:35am

it used to be a common practice to glue on new soles on the bottom of hide moccassins using hide glue

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 2:38pm

This practise only works for short amount of time as it makes the soles of the moccasins too thick to be of any use - why not just use shoes?  The Apaches glued on another, extra sole with pine resin, which was daubed on in a thick layer to further prevent damage.  Living in rocky country, this was strongly advised.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #25 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 2:48pm

wow climed a mountan in bare feet...I go in my bare feet alot i can run on rocks and i have very thick calous but i dont think i could do that....

i think moccasins are cool and i would like to make boot moccasins. moccasins as big as boots with a thick sole so i would not have to keep resowing them.  i know i will have to fix them often but not as often.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #26 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 3:00pm

hey i had a look at www.nativetech.org and they do look hard to make. i have a friend who knows how to make him i think i may ask him. The only reason i asked you guys is that i ask him for alot haha. Oh well thanks for the info

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 4:22pm

There are some good moccasin designs in "Mountain Man Crafts and Skills", by David Montgomery, I think.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #28 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 5:47pm

ok ill have to find that thanks.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #29 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 6:06pm

English,
What are the hunting regulations like in England?  It sounds like it's completely outlawed.  Maybe tags are just hard to get? 

Stalking is something that can't really be explained with words: to become good at it you just have to do it.  The location matters a LOT also: for instance, I like in Nevada, US, where most of the time there's nothing but two foot sage brush and every once in a while some aspen or juniper.  It definately takes some different techniques than Oregon or England.

solobo88  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris)