Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is the best kind of sling? (Read 14412 times)
Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Re: What is the best kind of sling?
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2004 at 1:17am

I know this doesn't have to do with the "best sling" But I actually made a "disposable sling"  so that if you show a friend, you can give them something to play with, and make 'em a better one later.
                   --------
-----------H          H---------------
                   ---------
The string is any string, I used twine.  The rock-holder is a kleenex.  (VERY disposable).  The string is tied to the kleenex.  Actually, It does work!  It can shoot stones but it just can't spin very well because it's very light.

I might try a braided sling!

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2004 at 4:40am

I'd just like to amend the instructions I gave earlier.  I'd like to say that although using a twelve strand woven pocket is ok, it makes it very difficult to do, and makes an oversized pocket.  I'd change it to 9 strands, just add an extra 6 strands rather than an extra 9, to your original 3.  It is easier to work with, and produces a nice sized pocket.
  Barak, whenever I think of a lovelock sling pouch, I always think of two or more strands in a loose split pouch; see the photo on the homepage.  Whether or not this is actually the sling pouch on the sling found in Lovelock cave is a moot point.  Similarly, it could be said that the "couple" of strands are the "lovers", in a lock with the stone.  Hence the name.  Also, the pouch in a "lovelock" (as we term it) is not woven, but entirely braided.  There are in fact instructions in the articles section by Dan Bollinger which explain how this is made (I just discovered them.  They are really good.)  But now I am just rambling.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2004 at 7:04pm

Barak,

I've never actually seen any pictures of it, so I wouldn't know how it was actually composed.  I've been using that term for as long as I've been slinging.  I must have picked it up online, maybe Jim Burdine's page. 

Do you have any pictures? 

Chris

IP Logged

Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2004 at 7:19pm

I just made 2 of the slings in Dan Bollinger's braided sling article.  Grin

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 3:59pm

My new sling is a dyed black and white, braided three strand sling, with retaining loop, and a twelve strand (split into four sections of three) split pouch.  That is the best kind of sling in my opinion.  I will try and get some pictures for you some time.  It is difficult because I have to borrow one of my friends' cameras.  But I can probably do a video too.  I now have about twelve braided slings of various styles and qualities.  I have only been doing it for a little while, but it is the holidays now and I have lots of string, so my output can be prolific.  Besides, I have customers to cater for, get around five pounds for a sling.

IP Logged

fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 4:16pm

It's a metaphysical point.  Once you learn to sling and can make them out of almost any material it's really just a way to hurl projectiles for hunting or combat.  Miyamoto Musashi counseled not to have "preferences" as to weapons and weapon types as it would inhibit your abilities as a Warrior.  That being said, I'd have to concede that my preferences change periodically.  Right now I am so digging 6/7/8/9 strand jute slings, round or flat braids with woven split pouches.  And I've been reading about guys complaining about not getting the pouches tight and even.  My technique is to use a big styling comb.  I have the strands separated in the teeth and after 4 wefts I slide the comb up and tighten it.  They come out beautifully.  I wonder if anybody else does this?  I'm pretty sure I didn't invent it, like the gutted paracord sling.......................  
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2011 at 4:33pm by fletch_man »  

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2011 at 5:12pm

fletch_man wrote on Dec 27th, 2011 at 4:16pm:
It's a metaphysical point.  Once you learn to sling and can make them out of almost any material it's really just a way to hurl projectiles for hunting or combat.  Miyamoto Musashi counseled not to have "preferences" as to weapons and weapon types as it would inhibit your abilities as a Warrior.  That being said, I'd have to concede that my preferences change periodically.  Right now I am so digging 6/7/8/9 strand jute slings, round or flat braids with woven split pouches.  And I've been reading about guys complaining about not getting the pouches tight and even.  My technique is to use a big styling comb.  I have the strands separated in the teeth and after 4 wefts I slide the come up and tighten it.  They come out beautifully.  I wonder if anybody else does this?  I'm pretty sure I didn't invent it, like the gutted paracord sling.......................  

i don't use a comb, but i do push down with my fingers. works like a charm.

btw, it's nearly been 8 years?

EDIT: here's a thing i wrote some time back when i was bored. it has a little bit on weaving tips, although it's mostly unintelligible

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1278352115/2#2

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 2:56pm

I mostly agree with fletch_man (again).  What's the best type if sling?  The one you're getting the most out of at the moment.  My preferences also change periodically.  Right now I'm digging the sort of sling pictured below.  This is the one I sent to Ulrica for the last SITH.  It's got a good range, it's tough, accurate, reasonably good looking, not that hard to make, and will hurl any old sort of junk that you come across.. slabs of shale or bog iron, railroad rocks, or whatever.  You can make them from whatever you wish.  I mostly use jute but hemp is just as good I think.  I've never used flax but I've seen slings of this type made from it (Paleoarts) and they look great.  If you want to you can even use nasty, scratchy old sisal.  I've made these from synthetics like paracord, nylon, and polypropylene too and they all work fine. 
   It's a great design.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)