Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Staff Sling Fun! (It's a sling right? :-) ) (Read 14409 times)
Alan

Legendary (Sort of) Slinger

USA
Staff Sling Fun! (It's a sling right? :-) )
Mar 31st, 2004 at 1:44am

Grin I made a staff sling, a rather small one, only about a 4 foot pole, and the rock holder is as big as a small normal sling, but it still works great!!.  I went into my backyard and hurled away.  I showed one of my friends and he thought it was really neat too.  Anyone else staff sling?  Actually, I think staff slinging has a 90% less chance of killing yourself, because you can't wack yourself with anything swinging. Wink So any staff-slingers?

51!/\/93|2 4/\/|) _||_|9913|2
WWW bobjoey2003 bobjoey2003  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Staff Sling Fun! (It's a sling right? :-) )
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 7:26am

No, but it sounds cool! Maybe someday soon I will experiment Grin

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 10:07am

Got any pictures??  They would be fun to see.   Something I curious about - Staff slings have the pockets attached closely to the pole, with no long cords. 

Trebuchets, which seem to be big mechanical staff slings, have long ropes connecting the pocket to the pole.   This seems to give them huge mechanical advantage.  Why the difference I wonder?   Maybe just too hard to control the pocket if a staff sling had long cords.     mgreenfield

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 10:24am

I'll try to post a picture, don't i have to upload it or something?  WEll anyways, my cords are pretty long on mine, maybe a foot.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 11:56am

mgreenfield,

The launching position of a trebuchet allows it to have a really long cord, which arcs over head faster than the trebuchet arm itself, for a nice ~45 degree release.  It's hard to describe.  This picture should give you an idea. 

On a staff sling, the sling will hang straight down no matter how you hold the staff.  But the trebuchet lays it flat on the ground.  This different orientation allows it to be much longer because it basically gets another 90 degrees of wind up. 

Movie of my trebuchet:

http://www.bestweb.net/~hesham/slinging/trebuchet.mpg

-------------------------

Alan,

The easiest way to post pictures in the forum is to email them to me.  You can get my address by going to the members link above.  I will reply with instructions on how to embed the images in your posts.

Chris

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 12:22pm

I've got a staff-sling, but it don't work!  My rocks keep bouncing off the ground about 15 feet in front of me.  I'm gonna make the angle of my hook a bit gentler (it's about 45 degrees now) and see if that allows it to release any sooner.  It seems easier and safer than the sling, but you have less control, too -- like the difference between driving a stick and an automatic.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2004 at 1:02pm

I have two staff slings, different lengths.  They do work well.  I don't even have a hook.  Just a flat extended piece.  And it releases at around 90 degrees or so.  It depends on the stone used.

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 10:10am

Mines basically a sling tied to a stick!  Grin
No fancy stuff, No hooks, none of that.. it's just a stick with a sling.   It works great though.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 11:24am

There was an early trebuchet, consisted of an upright post, with a T bar pivoted to the top. The top of the T had ropes that were held by men; the bottom of the T had the sling and the load. When the men pulled the ropes in unison, the load went flying.

What was the name of this early trebuchet? Can I have one too?

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 2:12pm

I've only built one so far. It's lines are adout 23" long and the staff about 44". Tennis balls land about 15' infront of me but things like dry avacadio pits and stones etc. are impressive. The first avacadio pit went  some 500' much faster and flatter than I expected, cleared a chain link fence( where I lost sight of it), and went into a stand of trees(thus getting my friends neighbor's dogs barking). I've got enough to build another one the same size and a couple twice it's size.
All in all it's a great toy/weapon. It's comming with me to the medieval fair and prehaps a 6' one (if I stop typing and start carving). I'm pretty sure I'll get tired of answering questions after this ordeal, but  still might sell off some simple slings. (beer money is always a good thing Smiley )
Take care,
j. cooper

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 2:43pm

jcooper,
I will see you tommorow, my last day off, what length of sling do you like? I will bring you one to try. Will there be a place to throw there?
Oscar

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 5:59pm

I think I will try to build one of those
staff sling catapults.
  (sorry, i'm trying out the features on this.  (The one where you pull a rope.)  I think a trebuchet would take a while to build, and pretty expensive.  And sometimes, wouldn't people pulling be more powerful than using weight?  Who knowS!

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 8:45pm

Depends on the size of the trebuchet/catapult.  I read where some tossed 600lb rock balls, and were counterweighted with 10tons of sand.  Now THAT'S! a sling!   Also read they work better if mounted on rollers that permit some fore & aft movement when working.  Also, if the weight is hung under the beam and can swing fore & aft it helps.   These are interesting devices.  mgreenfield

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2004 at 5:59pm

I think the treb Douglas is talking about is usually called a "traction trebuchet"... We built one up at the local skihill when I was growing up and had fun throwing snowman heads around until we broke it and got tired at about the same time. 4-6 guys could plant an 18" snowball about halfway up a decent size conifer! Nowhere near the power of the big siege-engine types, but cheap and easy to move around.

IP Logged

Alan

USA
Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2004 at 1:36pm

SNOWBALL SLINGS!!!!!!
(why am I getting excited I don't live by snow!)
But that'd be cool Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)