Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling Pouch Braiding (Read 5781 times)
english
Ex Member

Sling Pouch Braiding
Mar 27th, 2004 at 3:58pm

I know that there are loads of posts on sling braiding, and many websites to look at specifically for braiding, and I can braid.  But when I braid slings, I get up to braiding the pouch and get stuck.  How does one braid a pouch into a sling, rather than adding one of leather, etc?

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: Sling Pouch Braiding
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 12:52am

I'm no braid expert at all... In fact I've never done one.  From what I've seen, the easiest way is to braid with extra string (like twice what you need) for the main cords, and at the pouch, split the strings into two groups and braid those for a few inches, then reunite them for the other cord back up.  You form a simple lovelock pouch this way.  Dan has an article up on it:

http://www.slinging.org/20.html

Chris

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 4:23am

Yeah, I was thinking about it a bit.  I think I need to make some simple tools to be able to do this, like an incredibly simple loom.  My main problem is how to add in the extra string.  I guess you just braid them in, and then separate them... I am sure that is harder than it sounds.  Anyways, thanks.  I was thinking of just carrying on braiding a full pouch, rather than a lovelock style, but I have changed my mind now.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 1:05pm

Barak or Whipartist are the ones to talk to.  They're like braiding geniuses.  For what it's worth, though, I've woven a couple of slings without using any tools at all.  The first one had 8-strand cords.  I poked another 16 strands horizontally through the braided part and pulled them halfway through, then took another, much longer cord and just started wrapping it around the 24 strands I now had.  After about an inch, I split the strands into two groups of 12, wrapped them both (figure 8s) for an inch, split them into 4 groups of 6, etc, until I was wrapping each strand individually, then started combining strands as I worked towards the end of the pouch.  I ended up with an ugly, overly-wide pouch.  The second time I used 16-strand cords and stuck with just those for the pouch.  Also, I left a split in the middle (this requires using two strands to wrap, one for the first/lower half and one for the second/upper half -- wrap the second with one of the other strands at first to get it started).  That time I ended up with a surprisingly nice-looking and effective pouch.  Good luck!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 3:15pm

I have now made two slings which are braided/woven.  One is so incredibly simple; 3 strands until I get to where I start the pouch, and then add another three, braid them together in the style of three, but using two strands in place of one for each single strand of the three, if that makes sense.  Then I divide the six strands into two sections, and braid those separately, and so i end up with a split pouch thingy, rather like a two string pouch version of the sling on the home page of this website, a lovelock.  I then join them back up, and tie off the ends of the extra three, and continue the rest of the braid using the three strands I started with.  Very easy, and it took only ten-fifteen minutes.  Measured to fit my average stones, too.  The other is a proper woven pouch, a bit thin, but usable.  They both look ok, but it is the first that looks best.

IP Logged

srgs9

slingers know how to get
their rocks off

Midwest U.S.A.
Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 8:59am

My only problem is the "round" braid. I'm not sure if it makes much of a diffrence if the lines are round, but it would look better.
Also I was given some veary nice wool this weekend from a guy from Colorado. He said he cut a price break for me if I gave him cedit and sent people his way for wool. I'll dig out his card if anyone want's to find him.
This is getting almost as bad as my  crystal radio addiction. Cheesy

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 9:26am

Crystal Radios??!!   Did somebody say, "Crystal Radios"?  I love them, too.   In fact love ALL radios.    But my only son is into flashlights.   Ah, what a waste. Grin   mgreenfield

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)