Can anyone sling?? (Read 16765 times)
Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Re: Can anyone sling??
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 4:38pm

Welcome Spencer!

I didnīt like your first Post, but now you seems to be a nice guy after all  Wink

I know I can not sling very well, but it is so much fun, so I just can not stop it now when I started. Iīm still testing different ways to throw away those stones, that now after the snow has melt away, laying almost everywhere on the ground.
I never seen so many nice small stones before  Grin

Wish you a good time here in Forum!!

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Spencer
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 5:39pm

Ulrica,

Where are you from?  The snow is only on the mountain tops here, in Utah.  I am originally from Arizona, but I am enjoying the mild spring whether now!

The lakes are melting are the water is calling to my sling.  I need to make ripples. 

So, how did you learn how to sling?

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 5:50pm

Spencer,

So if you're right handed, it must travel over your left shoulder before you whip it around, right?  I was wondering if you were having good success with a full overarm style throw, because I've had limited power but good accuracy with that technique.

That's cool to have that skill handed down through the generations like that.

Ben

IP Logged

Spencer
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 6:42pm

Ben,

I have tried to teach a few people to sling...and I always say it is just like throwing a baseball.  (Not a stiff-armed gernade throw).  It is difficult to put in words, but the sling does indeed, when slinging right handed, travel behind my left shoulder at nearly a parellel position to the back for a split second, but then travels at an angle of about 170 degrees (measuring from the ground) as it travels over my right shoulder.  The degree at which it travels over the right shoulder is personal preference of course, as some prefer side armed and some may prefer nearly straight over the shoulder.

I have to admit that I have never done too much target practice to judge my accuracy, but I feel fairly comfortable saying I know generally where and how far my projectile will hit.  Accuracy is definitely an area I could use some help in.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 10:21pm

Hey there Spencer,

Did you look at the videos I made under the "Articles" section? Your overhand style sounds like the one I use. There are about 5 different styles we videoed. Check them out if you have not already.

We would enjoy any videos you can send to Chris--the top dog of this forum. He will get them ready to post.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #20 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 2:55am

Quote:
Ulrica,

Where are you from?  The snow is only on the mountain tops here, in Utah.  I am originally from Arizona, but I am enjoying the mild spring whether now!

The lakes are melting are the water is calling to my sling.  I need to make ripples.  

So, how did you learn how to sling?  

Hi again Spenceer!

Iīm from the middle of Sweden.
But I shouldnīt have written that about the snow. Someone didnīt like that and made it snow during the night. So now the ground again are white  Sad

Well, I started sling when I happened to found this Forum. I think it was in Januar or Februar this year.
If you surf around some and read old posts you will found out more.. I like , no , I love the books over Ayla. you know; Clan of the cave beer and those books. And this Ayla is a great slinger... But until I found this Forum I never had the Idea I could also make it a try..
And know Iīm catch by it.  Grin

Well... Work is calling. Have a great day!

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Spencer
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 1:00pm

I would like to make a public slinging.org apology to David T.  I guess I had missed the videos that you posted.  Your many different styles of slinging are good and very interesting.  A couple of the styles were very similar to the style that I use, however something is different about our styles that I cant quite pin point.  I hold my sling and point it towards my target as demonstrated in your "Greek Style."  My sling is most similar to your 45' sling style, except that I dont use multiple swings to build up momentum.  Still something is different because with the path I follow with one sling I am able to build up more than enough momentum to sling a rock at "buzzing" speeds.

Like I said, I dont know quite what is different.  Something about the path my sling takes behind my head.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that your styles are quite good.  Thanks for pointing out your videos.

IP Logged

The_Peltist
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 1:19pm

I kinda do this weird thing when I sling, I'm self taught, so nobody laugh. I'll start with the sling hanging from my hand then just whip it up forward around to the left of my head (i'm right handed) then go into the baseball throwing motion while turning my torso 1/4 turn counter clockwise while I take a step forward, just like a pitcher on the mound. It gets great speed and accuracy but is horrible for the shoulder/elbow. Just thought I'd share that since I have'nt been here for a while...... I also do a sidearm release when I get tired.

Welcome to the boards Spencer.

The_peltist

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #23 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 4:42pm

Spencer: I too belong to the overhand camp. I think there is both power and accuracy in it. I start with the loaded sling behind me and to the right. With no windup I simply throw it baseball-style.

And I've been at it for 20 years.  Wink

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #24 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 6:38pm

I've only been throwing for a few months (and don't get to sling nearly as often as I'd like), but I throw overhand too.  I spin the sling several times before releasing, but not to build up momentum -- I just do it to get a feel for the rock in the pouch, and to make sure it's not gonna fly off behind me (I've got a couple of slings with 5-strand split cradles that can let missiles slip).  I'm starting to notice that slinging with wind-ups is more tiring.  When my arm begins to fatigue, I stop messing around before the release.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #25 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 9:17pm

Hey Spencer,

By your first comments, I did not think you had looked at my videos. In the videos, I was trying to show the different styles I had read about in the forum--they are not origional to me! I slung my first stone in August. You sort of rubbed me the wrong way by "knocking" my slinging.org buddies Grin Grin All is cool 8) We are easy to get along with.

I agree with you, I almost always use no wind up spins. My predominate style is that of video #1

I told everyone months ago that I was going to get a state trooper with a radar gun to try to get a reading on the speed of a projectile. I still plan on doing that if we can coordinate our time. I want to see the speed of overhand vs underhand.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #26 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 9:39pm

David,

I for one would appreciate those velocity tests.  I'm glad you're planning on it.  I'm not really aware of any good stats on how fast slingstones do travel.  Most of the #'s I've heard sound low.

Ben

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #27 - Mar 24th, 2004 at 1:52pm

Quote:
 I spin the sling several times before releasing, but not to build up momentum -- I just do it to get a feel for the rock in the pouch, and to make sure it's not gonna fly off behind me (I've got a couple of slings with 5-strand split cradles that can let missiles slip).

I often do a little pendulum thing before my baseball cast, acheives exactly the same purpose.  Smiley

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #28 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 12:08pm

Hey spencer.. just read in your post that you are in Provo Utah. Well that makes two of us.... I would certainly be interested in seeing your technique. I'm just connecting the dots but... are you LDS and if so, did you serve a mission in Ogden, Ut? Just asking because your swing sound similar to mine, and I taught it to about a dozen guys in while serving a mission in Ogden a few years back.

IP Logged

Spencer
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 2:00pm

NW,

No mission in Ogden, sorry.  But I did serve one in Edmonton, Canada.  I have been slinging since I was little.  I learned from my dad. 

I was the one teaching people on my mission!  Do you live in Provo?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris)