Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can anyone sling?? (Read 16768 times)
Spencer
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Can anyone sling??
Mar 19th, 2004 at 6:52pm

I am new to the website, I like it.  I loved all the articles concerning how to sling.  But then I looked at the videos and nearly everyone used a sling incorrectly (according to my standards).  No one threw it very powerfully and most had terrible form.  This leads me to wonder if anyone knows how to sling here?  I am also surprised to hear people say they can throw a sling further underhand than overhand.  NO WAY! This just contributes to my belief that very few people know how to sling.  I would love to hear distances that people are throwing underhand.

The last time I threw (not my best sling) the rock went about 500-600 feet.  Not a great sling, but after seeing the videos posted I would be very surprised if anyone one of them could throw that far.

I dont mean to sound antagonistic...I really enjoy this site...but can anyone REALLY sling here?  And how far are you slinging?

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Re: Can anyone sling??
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 7:16pm

I sling overhand and in a pirouette style, not a fan of underhanding myself.

How do you measure your distance? How can you find sling stones that have fallen 500-600 feet away?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 7:28pm

Welcome Spencer!

I think that everyone here is learning slinging yet. We have different experiences, but I'm sure everyone have great fun with slinging. Anyway, we need new experiences, so share yours please.

Quote:
The last time I threw (not my best sling) the rock went about 500-600 feet

You surely mean 500-600 yards. Yeah, we have one guy here, who almost equals you. His name is Larry Bray. He can send a rock at 483 yards.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 8:42pm

Please "enlighten" us, O Great One.......on how to sling.
If you're slinging at 500/600 feet, that is just average.
If you're slinging at 500/600 Yards, that's incredible.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 9:29pm

Hey Spencer Boy,

Nothing like arrogance to make the stomach of decent people turn! I doubt anyone here will enjoy much you have to say if it resembles your first attempt.
Wise men seek instruction and increase in wisdom, arrogant people learn very little, for they foolishly think they know it all.

I found this site shortly after it opened in August and I have enjoyed seeing new people from all over the globe join in on a weekly basis. We have often seen things differently but have had fun asking questions and offerirng our two cents.
We also have two world record sling distance holders contributing. I must say, they both have 100x more "bragging rights" than you, but they have humbly joined in the forum and shared their stories without ragging on everyone else.

I will reserve forming my final opinion of you until after your next post. Did you fall out of bed this morning and bump your head?  Grin We all have bad days. Come on man , learn some humility!
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2004 at 12:40am by David_T »  

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2004 at 9:04pm

Spencer
    Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here. There is lots of good information being shared here, and lots of new people learning new things.
    I'd hate for you to think that no one here really knows how to sling, because some are working on accuracy, a few on distance, some on new ideas for sling development, some just learning, some are interested in the history of the sling, and some on sling construction methods. There is more going on here than just distance. I'm 48 years old and can still sling a fist sized rock more than a 100 yrds, and a three oz or so sized stone much more than that.
   Anyway, I hope you poke around some more and get to know some of thies people, their all good folks, and they will add some new demensions to your slinging experence.

once again, welcome to the forum.

WalkingBird

Who is glad Spencer is on the forum.

IP Logged

LBray500
Tiro

Lyman, Ut (USA)
Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2004 at 11:46pm

Spencer,

I am a newcomer to this forum also.  I immediately realized after reading a few posts that many of the folks here were much more knowledgeable in many aspects regarding the sling than I.  I maybe exceeded most of them in distance (if you let me count a throw that is over 20 years old) but they surpassed me in sling building skill and historical knowledge.

I swallowed my pride years ago when I realized my arm was no longer getting stronger with the passing of time, but weaker.   I don't know how far I can throw these days but I know I can still make a golf-ball sized stone disappear from sight.  Participating in this forum has inpired me to do some preparation and see if re-establishing the record this summer is realistic.  I feel that I have improved technique, slings, and ammo that might make up for the throwing power that I have lost in the 23 years since my original record.  I have always used an overhand delivery with sometimes a few slow spins of the sling before the final hard "pull" on the final spin before release.  

I have not used an underhand delivery except for a little goofing off trying to skip stones on water and such.  For me it is not nearly as effective for distance as the overhand delivery.  A week ago my 13 year old son and I were throwing at an abandoned gravel pit.  We threw for distance for a bit then decided to try to hit an old chunk of scrap metal about 75 yards away.  As I have related previously on this forum, I can scare the heck out of you from 100 yards away but I probably won't hit you except by pure luck.  After a few overhand throws that were within 20 feet or so of the target, I tried an underhand delivery and hit within 5 feet on the first throw!  My respect for the "underhanders" on this forum immmediately soared.  

I have not seen Yurek's technique but if it is bad and he is still throwing 500 meters, the rest of us might as well give up now.  Maybe I can sign on with Yurek as a "Technique Coach" just so I can be involved somehow in the new record that I predict will be set this summer.

Larry
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2004 at 10:48am by LBray500 »  

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 5:18am

If everyone on this site was truly not good at slinging, then surely this entire forum would be a waste, due to everyone simply recounting failed slinging attempts.  And evidently the people on this site ARE slinging correctly, else they wouldn't love slinging so much, because they would basically be crap, and so would not enjoy it. 
  I can sling ok... doing a little target shooting.  I am attempting to learn how to slinghunt at the moment, and I have found that the easiest method for this is an overhand single swing, as it alerts the animal to your movement less, as there is less movement, and there is near instant release, so if the game is there when you aim, it will be there when you release.  But in a range contest, I would say that underarm is better than overarm.  Perhaps you merely need to learn to sling underarm better.  I was rubbish at underarm slinging when I first tried it, (still am, really), but once I managed to get some consistency of release, I could sling further underarm than over.  I have no accurate measurements, but it would not be out of the ordinary to throw a stone about 200 metres.  I am still an advocate of the overarm, but the underarm is certainly better at range shooting.
And how long have you been slinging Spencer?  We would all like to hear some stories from you, as we do with everyone.

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 10:30am

Yes Sir,

It is a fun place and we all really do love to hear new stories and slinging experiences!! Sounds like you must have some--what part of the globe are you from?  how'd you get into slinging?

IP Logged

LBray500
Tiro

Lyman, Ut (USA)
Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 11:02am

English,

I have wondered about how much power could be generated with an underhand delivery.  The best underhand fastpitch softball pitchers attain velocities approaching those of baseball pitchers.  I think (maybe I'm wrong) that most slingers who try for distance favor an overhand delivery but it seems to put more stress on the shoulder joint and is a more "whole body" technique.  By that I mean that is is easier for angular motion of the body to contribute to the power of the throw.  I do a spin and generate body angles that allow me to get a longer "pull" on the sling during the final 270 degrees before release.  I haven't devised a technique that allows this underhand. 

Larry

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 1:07pm

Looks like Spencer hasn't replied. Could he be a troll?  ???

IP Logged

sparticus
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 4:14pm

Hmmm....Spencer, away put your weapon we mean you no harm.

Remember that you must unlearn what you have learned.

Try not, do, or do not.

IP Logged

Spencer
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 2:01pm

Wow, thanks for the replys; honestly!  I am humbled.  I truly do not think I am the best slinger around...maybe even below average, I dont know.  I suppose I meant to be a little controversial in order to get a good response, but I truly am curious about people's throwing styles and distances.

I KNOW there are some great slingers out there, I guess I was just unimpressed with the videos I saw.  But I suppose this comes from the fact that I have always felt there is one superior way to sling, the overhand sling.  I've always felt it is more powerful, and more accurate.  I will try and post a video this weekend, and I would honestly love to hear some criticism, so that I could improve.

If there is a couple of world record holders on here, how do they sling...overhand, underhand?

I hope you can accept me as a member; I am all about promoting the wonderful skill known as sling throwing!

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 2:23pm

Spencer,

Well then welcome to the forum  Smiley  It looks like many others already have  Wink  

Larry is the world record holder.  Jurek may break it this Summer.  He already has, unofficially.  They both use a sidearm or overarm technique.  I prefer it too, through I'm no distance champion.  The Balearics were famous for underhand technique, and they used to be considered the best, so technique is sort of up in the air.  Slingers tend to get good at what they practice and focus on it seems.

So by overhand, do you mean straight over the top in a vertical motion?  Or horizontal windup with baseball pitch release?

I hope you enjoy the forum.  

Ben

IP Logged

Spencer
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 2:39pm

Ben,

The technique I use is not a simple vertical overhand throw.  It is much like a baseball throw, where the sling is simply an extension of the arm.  So the motion of the sling actually slings back and then partially behind the head before whipped forward and slung.  I imagine that this is the same technique that the world records must be using.  If not, I would be very interested to see how they use a sling.

I have been slinging since I was 8 or 9, my father taught me.  His father taught him, and so on as far as we know.  So, I at least know that the technique I use is a good one used for many generations, if nothing else.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)