Send Topic Print
Acorn sling bullets? (Read 3009 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Acorn sling bullets?
Mar 19th, 2004 at 10:35am

http://www.romanauxilia.com/Exploratio/hunterian/hunt7.htm

Are these Roman sling bullets? I know the ones around it are typical stone ammo. What do you think?
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

sparticus
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Acorn sling bullets?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 3:51am

Hey Johnny,

Took a peak and it looks like the reddish one would be a sling bullet/glandes (has that footbal shape) now as for the acrons, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be suprised.  I actually was slinging walnuts indoors the other day and those suckers sure did fly.  They last about three times against a hard wall.  By the way a sling makes a handy nutcracker, for those of you out there with minds in the gutter I am talking about walnuts.  Now ya got my mind a thinkin and I have to make some acorn shaped ammo and give it a try.  I'll be sure to let you know what happens.
Take care
Tim

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 8:55am

No, I think they are not sling bullets. Its shape is actually very well reproduced ant thoug they seem to be made in lead( oxide white colour) probably they are only that: acorns. Romans used to make reproductions of little things like shells, animals, phallus, etc. The interest of these acorns would be their meanings. Does anyone knows it?
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2004 at 4:01pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 1:48pm

If these are Roman weapons, they must be from a very early period.  The quality of the spears and other items are rather poor, and are not typical of Roman craftsmanship.  I agree that the reddish one in the picture with 16 and 17 in the corner does look sling-stone-like.  But the acorns are probably just acorns.

Chris

IP Logged

Gaius_Cornelius
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2004 at 2:10pm

The items on show do look distinctly Roman to me. The cooking pot is a text book example.

The arrows do seem primative, I suspect that this is due to real heads being put onto reconstructed shafts. How acurate the reconstruction is, I would not like to say.

The four round stones could just be throwing stones. The Roman were in the habit of making these in large numbers for the defense of walls etc. They would be just small enough to hold in the hand and were generally spherical with two flattened sides. If they are in fact spherical, then they could be for a balista.

The acorns are just decorative. Possibly votive offerings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)