Inventors' nook ;) (Read 11418 times)
Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Re: Inventors' nook ;)
Reply #15 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 9:37am

Very innovative solution!  I wish I'd thought of it. Grin

I can see that it would be useful for improved accuracy, especially short range accuracy.  I can also see that it won't spin the projectile upon release. That's not a big deal with spherical ammo. If you wanted to use aero ammo it might not work as well since it isn't spinning to help with stability during flight.

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #16 - Mar 21st, 2004 at 1:12pm

Quote:
Yurek, a very slick design!   I know the missile slides along the release cord upon launch from a standard sling.   ... mgreenfield  

Doesn't it roll out, imparting a spin?

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 1:38pm

Yurek, I have tried your design and it seems very good to me. The release of the stone is very clean, it takes place without almost friction with the pouch and as it don´t touch the cords as in the conventional design, the stone seems to take greater speed and without any posible little deviations. The liberation also takes place a little before and always in the same way, with a great regularity, which causes the shots to be more consistent.
I´ve got the impression that it is a very good design for accuracy, but also it can be better for range when certain projectiles, like espherical ones, are used, due to the almost complete proficiency of the launching momentum.
As disadvantages it has to be mentioned that it´s a little more troublesome to load than the simple sling and that the projectile acquires less spin, reason why it would not be adequate to use glandes or football shaped stones, with which we looked for this effect of spin. It looks better than the conventional sling to use with spherical medium or big weight stones, and also to use for accuracy. But it will be necessary to make exhaustive tests before being sure of these impressions.

Congratulations for your design!!!
I have simplified it a little making easier for me to construct and been more "primitive" , but not less effective (I have used a little wood stick instead of the nail, and instead of bending the nail I have inclined a little the stick so that the pouch does not release in the wind up. And finally I have adopted the two conventional cords instead of one making a loop, because I find it more comfortable.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 1:52pm

Quote:
Now to make it adjustable for length and you would have ultimate slinging tool.

I bet you could make it adjustable fairly easily.  Instead of fitting the nail through loops at the ends of the cords, you could just tie slipknots at any point along the length of the cords to fit the nail through.  Or, for Yurek's original design, you could just wind extra cordage around the center of the nail to shorten the length of your cords.

Dang, Yurek, that's one clever design.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #19 - Mar 26th, 2004 at 4:39pm

Thanks guys for appreciating that design.

Hondero,

I'm realy glad that you have tested that one and that it works for you. My feelings are very similar to yours. Indeed, the spin of the projectile seems to be less in comparison to the traditional release. As you have said it should be profitable for round projectiles due to the less Mangus' effect.

In that design the cords shouldn't be too distant each other in the palm due to possibility of uncontrolled releases. This is a little problem for me, because I usualy separate them by the fingers for a better control of the pouch angle during release. So when I use the new design with elongated stones, their position is too often random. In this case a less spin is also profitable Smiley Maybe my cords are too thin.

I hope that charging shouldn't be difficult after some practice,probably it only require new habits.

I used the nail only due to simplicity, I'm sure it is possible to make a more advanced trigger, which make possible easy and quick adjustmet. The wooden trigger is a good idea also.

Actually I havent too much time for testig and improvement that design. If I have time I try to work more on my technique rather.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #20 - Mar 27th, 2004 at 7:27am

Every once in a while a launched stone seems to "get caught" in the release cord.  The shot is muffed & my finger gets pulled.   This seems to happen most often with very flat stones.   Anybody else had this experience?

Yurek's design sure seem to solve this problem!   I bet the Balaerics wish they'd thought of it. Cheesy  mgreenfield

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #21 - Mar 27th, 2004 at 11:11am

Si Senior Greenfield,

I have about ripped my finger off with large, long stones. Shocked I figured out that my problem was usually getting too quick on my release. The pouch was too far back when the release cord was loosed so the stone slides along the cord and gets tangled up. It only happens with the 36"+ length slings.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #22 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 7:18am

I think maybe part of it is that the cord slides off round ammo, but gets snagged going across the sharper edge of flat rocks.  I notice also that the ENTIRE length of the release cord shows dirt & wear evenly.   Putting spin on a rock is great, but I wonder if I'm losing some velocity as the ammo has too much contact with the cord. 

Cord material I used is 1/8" braided nylon cord.  Very little stretch.  Good torsional stiffness, but very flexible.  I can bend it into a 1/16"id circle with very little pressure.   I have some material to try that will only bend into a 1/2"id circle.

Further, I note that cords on my Peruvian sling will bend into a 1/2"id circle only.  Somehow, at the same length, my homebrew sling still doesnt have the same great feel as the Peruvian.  I wonder if cord flexibility is the reason.   Any comments?    mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
The lasso-sling
Reply #23 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 10:35am

Another invention more for the nook. This lasso-sling is without any doubt the simplest sling one can make . The pouch is made with only a knot, exactly a sliding knot.

The release cord is a little shorter than the retention one, so that when we hold the sling all the weight gravitate in this cord and the sliding knot is tightened around the stone, preventing that it slips although we turns it around actively. When we let go the release cord, the weight is now  on the retention cord and the knot is loosened, releasing the stone. It is that simple and nevertheless the performances are good. The technique of launching and the feeling is the same that when sending a single bola.
The cord diameter must be adapted to the one of the stone, so that the stone does not slip. In general the thin and resistant cords work better. Well guys, those who feel lazy to make a woven sling, no longer have excuses to not start slinging. The sling is made in less of a minute, and what is better: IT WORKS.

(The rights are also reserved   Grin)

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 12:04pm

Bravo Hondero!

I see that  the nook doesn't die yet Smiley Pretty clever idea. I imagine that design should work well for different stone diameters. The bigger diameter, the looser the retention cord. Release seems to be easy too. I have just played with the piece  of a cord and it apears that the loop even keeps rounded stones quite good. I think we are on the good way to invent the sling with only one cord Smiley

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #25 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 2:19pm

Quote:
...Putting spin on a rock is great, but I wonder if I'm losing some velocity as the ammo has too much contact with the cord.

Mgreenfield,

That spin is good only for elongated projectiles, when they start "point-to-first". But that one shouldn't be too quick however. IMHO in other cases it is unprofitable due to a wastage of energy and the buzzy, bent and usually short fly of stones. Most often, the reason of it is just in the hitch the release cord by a stone. For me that shots are usualy unsuccessful regarding to both ranges and an accuracy. I think the poch angle relative to the release direction is the main reason. The most profitable pouch orientation is the same like during the "point-to-first" release. Just then the stone has the greatest chace to leave the pouch on the left side of the release cord without the hitch.

For me, a stone hitch the release cord sometimes too. But fortunately it doesn't happen too often. The marks (wipe) on the pouch confirm that stones leave the poch mainly on the left side of the release cord. You can see it on the below picture.

That long sling has hurled hundreds or rather thousands stones until now.

The bigger problem for me is the wear of the release cord just before the knot. It looks like my fingers make a more harm for the cord than stones Smiley

As I said once before, to avoid the hitch:
- I separate the cords by the fingers (it make a more possible to control the pouch position).
- During the widups, I try to use the wrist movement which prevents the cord twisting.
- Usually reduce an amount of the windups to 1-2 times, for consistency.

I also have noticed that a good springy shot reduces the cord hitch probablity, or... maybe it is  inversely? Cheesy

Jurek

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005 at 6:24pm by Yurek »  

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #26 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 4:37pm

Quote:
As I said once before, to avoid the hitch:  
- I separate the cords by the fingers (it make a more possible to control the pouch position).
- During the widups, I try to use the wrist movement which prevents the cord twisting.
- Usually reduce an amount of the windups to 1-2 times, for consistency.  

Yurek, ....this gave me more to think about.  I separate the cords by putting the loop on my ring finger, but I don't think there is a wrist movement that can completely prevent cord twisting and/or rotating the pouch around the axis of the cords.  

I always use the same windup, and every time the pouch would make x1 full rotation around the axis of the cords, ....if it could "keep up"  with my wrist.

Slinging golf balls told me I was putting top spin on the ball at launch (bad!), which means the pouch was following my wrist, but not "keeping up", and the cords had about 1/4 turn of twist in them at launch.

I start out with the pouch in my non-sling hand.  So, I tried a couple shots with the cords starting out twisted 1/2 or 1 turn in the opposite direction of my wrist-induced twist.   Idea was that in the spin I would untwist the cords and NOT make the pouch rotate to "keep up" with my wrist.

It seems to work exactly that way.   Interesting!!   Perhaps I have invented the "Twisted Cord Slinging Set-Up" Cheesy.       mgreenfield

Mar30 - Maybe it doesnt work that way & was just a lucky shot.   Nuts!  mgreenfield
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2004 at 7:41pm by mgreenfield »  

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #27 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 2:25pm

Mgreenfield,

Quote:
I start out with the pouch in my non-sling hand.  So, I tried a couple shots with the cords starting out twisted 1/2 or 1 turn in the opposite direction of my wrist-induced twist.   Idea was that in the spin I would untwist the cords and NOT make the pouch rotate to "keep up" with my wrist.

It seems to work exactly that way.   Interesting!!   Perhaps I have invented the "Twisted Cord Slinging Set-Up" .

It is the best way, if it works the best for you. The vertical throw gives a much bigger freedom for the wrist, so I think you also could try to change its angle during release. Maybe you will find the best angle? Just theorizing Smiley

Jurek

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #28 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 9:29am

Quote:
. I think we are on the good way to invent the sling with only one cord Smiley

Jurek

If the sling was invented after the bolas,  is quite possible that the idea came to the primitive man when seeing that some times, when  revolved a single bola, the stone was untied accidentally and sent to great speed. Possibly he tried to reproduce the event making a kind of tie that was loosen itself  when shooting, and from here he would reach the best solution that was to prolong the tied cord till the hand and to release it from there. Sometimes I have tried to make this kind of fastening that can release by itself, but the solutions I´ve found have not good performances. Does anybody knows how to do it?
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2004 at 3:12pm by Hondero »  

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #29 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 7:03pm

The problem is that if it can release itself, controlling it's direction would be very difficult.  You really need a human to release it at the right time with a final push of acceleration.  (It's that snap of that wrist that gives the sling it's power).

Chris

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy)