Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Inventors' nook ;)
Mar 18th, 2004 at 4:35pm

Hi slingers!

Sling is a brilliant device due to its simplicity. It seems that it is impossible to improve it. Is that true? I think that human inventiveness has no limit, however (similar like slinger's accuracy Wink). I have started this topic with hope that that one will accumulate all our GREAT IDEAS related with a sling.

Well, I should be as an example and start first. So, let's go.
Some time ago I had got the idea of a sling with the nail trigger (However I'm afraid that someone has invented something similar before Cheesy, or maybe not...)

Following solution eliminates two problems:
1) necessity of having a lot room for slinging;
2) hitch the release cord by stones.

The drafts should explain all:

I have tested that and works quite well. I'm curious what you guys think about it, and eventually how it works for you.

Jurek, who invite you all to brainstorming Smiley

And of course... all rights reserved Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2005 at 6:25pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Uriel
Tiro

Re: Inventors' nook ;)
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 4:53pm

Good idea Yurek Smiley.
  I have just finished making my new sling to my own old conventional design but I should be able to modify it to try your design. I use brass eyelets to pass the cords through, so the pin should slip out quite easily. So if you don't mind I will have a go with your idea.

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 5:08pm

Uriel,

I will be glad if you try it. The brass eyelets should help. If it don't work for you well, you will come back to the traditional design quite easy. Good luck and let me know how it working for you.

Jurek
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2004 at 8:07pm by Yurek »  

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 5:40pm

I like the design! 8)  How exactly does the release work?  It looks like the "release cord" is a little longer than the retention cord, and you just let out a little slack to release the pouch instead of letting the release cord go completely.  Is that right?

IP Logged

Uriel
Tiro

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 5:45pm

Thanks Yurek, I will let you know how I get on (once I find a quiet place to do my slinging).
 What type of sling do you normally use?
I use a 6 inch x 2 1/4 inch oval leather pouch with a triangular 1 inch cut- out at each end and an oval cut-out in the centre to hold the stone. The ends of the pouch are double leather with brass eyelets. I use paracord for the cords with a carved wooden bead for a thumb grip. A picture would have been easier but I haven't figured out how post pictures yet. I am decidedly lo-tech, which of course is why I love the sling  Grin.  

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 5:51pm

Hobb,

You exactly right. The release is very quick beacause the puch doesn't pull the release cord. That release way is very sensitive, so I have bended the nail. Also it is good when the cords aren't separate by the fingers exessively. But if one tune all up it will work without fail.

Jurek

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 6:03pm

Uriel,

You can see my last regular sling under this link:

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=10778993...

On posting pictures, send them to Chris, he will put these ones into the server and give you the info how to put the links into your post.

Jurek

IP Logged

Uriel
Tiro

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 6:30pm

Classy looking sling Yurek  8), 8).

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2004 at 8:23pm

Yurek, a very slick design!   I know the missile slides along the release cord upon launch from a standard sling.   In time that cord shows a lot of dirt and wear along it's full length.   I've often wondered just how much that sliding friction reduces launch speed, ...if it does at all.   Any idea?   Does this new design seem to offer improved launch speed & range?   Does the mechanism at the pouch increase air drag and slow the spin?   So many questions? Grin   This should be a great topic.     mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 3:37am

Clever device, Yurek, I find similarities with the staff-sling release way. I have to try it and compare with conventional design, thoug it seems to me that as much mechanism less  performance, but it looks simple too. I wonder about the actual advantages...
It´s an excellent idea this inventors corner !!!

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 8:25am

How do you post those drawings? Do you send them to Chris like pictures?

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 3:43pm

Guys, I'm glad that it has interested you.

I think that additional air drag is non-significant in this case. The release is very clear, precise and quick. As I mentioned before, the mechanism is sensitive and require a good tunning. It is better when the cords aren't too thick and stretchy. Also is good when they go out from the hand possibly closest one another. Beacause of, a small shift of release causes the release. Lenght of the nail should be resonable, the shorter nail, the more sensitive release, and the longer one, the more difficult release. My nail is above 4 cm (1.6") long, the bending is about 1 cm (0.4") long.

Pouch dimensions and the lenght of the nail and bend depend on your max ammo size. The hole on the release ending of the pouch should be enough big for easy releas. If neccesery that one should be reinforced by leather piece or eyelet. Propely tuned sling shouldn't give an uncontrolled release and a weight of stone should cause openig of the pouch when you release the cord.

I should add, that that release way is unsensitive for twisting cords.

David,

I have put the drafts into the post in the same way like other pictures.

Jurek

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2004 at 9:02am

Hi Yurek,
That is a brilliant improvement to the basic sling, I will try making one myself, has this type of release had an effect on the spin that one normally gets from a traditional release?
Oscar

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2004 at 2:15pm

Yurek,  I noticed your sling.....Good job!  If necessity is the mother of invention....then surely us slingers, we odd lot,  find ourselves her scattered children!   Your design is quite similar to a device I used with my 'shot pockets' for a quicker and smoother release to produce symmetrical shot patterns.    Cheesy

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2004 at 9:10pm

Yurek
    An excelent for cool idea  8). Me thinks that this should make the concrete slingers very happy; no more tore up release cords! Smiley How COOL! How COOL. Now to make it adjustable for length and you would have ultimate slinging tool.  8) 8)

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick)