Send Topic Print
Explosions in Madrid (Read 5255 times)
Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Explosions in Madrid
Mar 11th, 2004 at 8:55am

Hondero, I just heard about the terrorist attack in Madrid. I hope you and yours are safe and sound.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/20040311/ap_on_re_eu/s...

IP Logged

Uriel
Tiro

Re: Explosions in Madrid
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 9:07am

I would like to extend my heartfelt sympathies to the people of Madrid and Spain over the bombings today.
  You are in my prayers.

IP Logged

Foner

Slinging in the rain

Valencia-SPAIN
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 9:32am

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I am in Valencia (a little more than 3 hours from Madrid). I was about to e-mail Hondero to ask him and then I saw your posts and I almost start crying. This is so horrible. Over 173 people killed and 600 injured. They were all workers and students. How can people do that to other people? Thanks again for your support.

Foner (Valencia, Spain)

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 10:01am

I also feel deeply for you!

I also want to extend my sympathies!

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 2:32pm

Thanks guys, Madrid is a big city and is dificcult to be caught in these bloody events, but it has been horrible.  In these occasions, after the tragedy, one can not avoid to think about terrorism in general.

I am a slinger, I practise competition pistol shooting and like the weapons in general, so I cannot say that somehow do not like the war. But arrived at that point in which a conflict becomes inevitable by other means, I like the noble war, the war between men of arms. But I do not like the cowardice that hides to kill, to assassinate innocent people not prepared for the war and that has nothing to do with the conflict. There is nothing noble nor epic in that sort of war.

Modern technology has made possible that a small group of people can cause great massacres in all a population. Anyone can leave a knapsack or a suitcase loaded of explosives with timer in a hospital or a school or a railway station and destroy in a moment hundreds or thousands of people. It is impossible to avoid this without suppressing to absurd limits the liberties of a society. But what honor there is in it? Anyone can burn a forest, or sacrifice uselessly  a whole cattle ranch or kill students, housewives and workers who take a railroad from neighborhoods to go to their destinations and to claim with it that they are fighting by a political idea, but there is no ethical nor rational justification in destroying innocent beings that nothing have to do with the subject.

This it is the problem of this century: the terrorism potentiated by the technology and the liberties in the modern democratical societies. Many countries undergo their consequences today. Any idea can be defended politically, but what not can be done is to compare the political fight with the murder of innocents, because then no longer we are speaking of politics, not even of fight. We are just speaking of dangerous madness.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 4:22pm

I'm shocked too. Every such attack is a only mad crimen and there is no justification for that. It is terrific and never solves any problems. Only result is escalation of hate and disasters. I symphatize with the victims very much.

I'm happy that our spanish friend is sound.

Jurek

"any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 12:21pm

Thanks for your words, Yurek. Here we  follow with the commotion of the event, whose dimension exceeds what anyone could have expected. The first suspicions on the authors pointed at Spanish terrorist organization ETA, but more and more the indications, the dimension of the attack and its strategy, aim at the islamic terrorism Al Qaeda, without excluding a possible connection with ETA. The date of the attack is significant: 11-M. We already have in Europe another tragic 11 day, just half year to 11-S. Islamic terrorisme threatened to US allied in the war against Irak. If Al Qaeda is confirmed as the author of the attempt, the question is: Who will be the following European country: England, Italy...?
Like in 11-S, people from many others countries, eleven countries exactly, have died, among them two Polish. My condolences also for that.

Hondero, that feels that in the times when slings and arrows were used, did not happens these events...
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2004 at 5:20am by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 12:29pm

Hondero/Jurek, ...sadly such events have always happened, just the tools of butchery have changed.  Sad, but evil people always find a way.   mgreenfield

IP Logged

shinypeter
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 1:02pm

My self hit post was sandblasted off the board. It shows the moderator's good judgement, I might have done the same in his position. I certainly do not feel hurt personally. All truth goes through three phases. First it is ridiculed then it is violently opposed and finally it's taken for granted. 'Lifeboat news'and  'whatreallyhappened' are great pages to check.  Anyway Ill take this slot to say hi to everyone and to say how impressed I am with the quality of the chat. Best P.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 12:34pm

My condolences to everyone affected by the attacks in Madrid.  The losses suffered are inconcievable.  As for those responsible -- murder is never justified, regardless of the cause.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)