Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
In from the wilderness (so to speak) (Read 3707 times)
Uriel
Tiro

In from the wilderness (so to speak)
Mar 10th, 2004 at 8:16pm

Just a quick post to say hello everyone and well done to Chris for such a great site.
 I have been slinging off and on for about 15yrs and I truly though I was alone in the wilderness. I have never met another slinger and didn't realise there were so many of us out there. Feels like coming home  Grin.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Re: In from the wilderness (so to speak)
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2004 at 8:56pm

uriel

Welcome aboard! I felt the same way, until coming across this forum. Really supprised me that there was enough interest in the sling to keep a good forum. There is, and it's a great place. Hope you like it here and share some of you valuable experience.  Cheesy

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2004 at 9:40pm

Welcome Uriel,

Thanks for your kind words.
Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2004 at 10:12pm

Welcome.

You are amoung fellow slinging nuts Grin Tell us some stories and how you got into slinging

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 8:07am

I also want to say Welcome!

Welcome!!

Yes please tell us some stories. Have you ever hit a duck with your sling??
- It has been such discussions here in the Forum now and then...

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 8:17am

Suggestions

TAKE A LOOK AT OUR GALLERY!! MANY PICTURES OF OUR SLINGS AND THINGS

ALSO, SOME GOOD VIDEOS AND "HOW TO" TIPS   Grin

IP Logged

Uriel
Tiro

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 9:23pm

Thank you for your warm welcome. I will give you a very quick run-down of my slinging history if I may.
    My interest in the sling stems from my love of ancient history and in particular ancient weapons. I have used other weapons over the years (bows etc) but I keep coming back to the sling.
    I made my first sling from an old catapult pouch and some stiff, orange garden twine and then had to try and figure out how to use it . From there it was trial and error. The first thing I found out was that the pouch was too narrow and the stone kept falling out (back to the drawing board) it also took me a while to figure out the correct grip as I had no idea how to actually hold the sling. I also found out the hard way that you need plenty of room when you are learning the sling and not to stand under trees when learning the underhand throw (what goes up must come down  Grin).
    The sling I eventually settled on was similar to Chris's "simple sling" but with a spaced double string each side and a ventilated pouch made from a calf skin  Shocked wallet. My style is probably what you would call the helicopter style, although I can't wait to try the Greek style as per your video clips, looks really stylish. As to hitting ducks, Ulrica, I am afraid I could never find a duck that would sit still long enough for me to hit it  Grin.
    Once again, well done to Chris and everyone involved with the site.

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 11:06pm

I've never hit a duck but I've hit a stray dog that wondered into my yard. I nailed him at about 12 yards, one shot. He never came back. Just a nice wallop on the rump!

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2004 at 12:22am

Welcome,  Uriel!    I just found this eagle's nest myself!  And a more comfortable perch one may be hard pressed to find.  As you may note,  they really roll out the welcome wagon here and the news of a new arrival can reach apocryphal proportions!  (Ok, apocryphal may have been a bit much but it is nice.)    8) Wink

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)