how to aim ? (Read 5157 times)
austrian_slinger
Novicius

Slinging is life ! The
rest just details!

how to aim ?
Mar 8th, 2004 at 2:37pm

hi guys !
i`m from austria and slinging is in our country not wery popular!
an so i wont to ask you ! how dou you aim?
another question is: Of which material do you make your Slings

Where do you train? I very often go on driving ranch at the golf course! do you actually shoot how far? I shoot at the most 60 meters. ??? ???

wfg. Dominik S.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: how to aim ?
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 3:20pm

It might be better if you had posted in the main forum, mostly because no one really looks at the other weapons part.  Aiming all depends, it seems, on consistency of the size of ammunition, and on your technique.  Look at the article on "the Way of the Sling", which talks a bit about intuitive aiming, which in theory is the best way to sling.  The furthest I have ever slung a stone is around about 160 metres, and my accuracy is swiftly improving.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 11:26pm

*I moved this topic to the main thread*

Welcome Dominik,

The best place to get some slinging advice is in the articles section of the site.  Read these links for some good starting tips:

http://www.slinging.org/10.html
http://www.slinging.org/5.html

If you still have questions, continue to post in this thread, and people will definitely help you out. 

Good luck,
Chris

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 12:39am

austrian_slinger

Welcome to the forum!

If I might share my outlook on the aiming thing...

Aiming is primeraly a function of the instant of release. Secondly, a function of body movement toward the target, done by the hand / arm, and sometimes a short step. Thirdly, it is a matter of knowing at all times exactly where the stone is. All these things seem very obvious, but sometimes they are not.
   Whatever style you decide to use it will take lots of pratice, but you can shorten the time required to get fairly accurate if you will keep in mind that in reallity you are trowing a rock with your arm / hand using the sling as an extension. (That sounds like another Duh statement, but it is not.) ALL the control is in the arm / hand and NONE in the sling. So as you begin a throw you need to learn to "FEEL" where the stone is at all times, this allows the brain to figure out the exact moment of release. You just have to "let" yourself react correctly and at the correct time.
    All this sounds funny, but slinging is very instinctive in nature. We humans are blessed with an absolutely amazing brain capable of calculating the release to the micro- second, in addition to figuring your stance, distance to the target, weight, shape, feel and speed of the stone in the sling, and a hundred differing bits of data, and do it all CORRECTLY! Once the brain has enough data, that is enough stones thrown, the next step is to train the body to do what the brain tells it exactly and smoothly.
    I wouldn't get to hung up on absolute accuracy at first, just start slinging and having fun, and let the accuracy happen as you try different styles. If it ain't fun you ain't slinging right!  Grin

Anyway hope that helps. And welcome aboard.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 6:52pm

Dominik:

When I prepare to sling (with the stone in pouch) I first look at what I wish to hit with the stone, then I point at it. That way, my whole body knows where to throw the stone - since there's no place to mount a scope!  Grin

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 8:39am

Servus Dominik!

Und herzlich willkommen!  Grin

I´m pretty new in slinging myself, but I have discover - and also read here in the Forum- that it´s easier to hit if you don´t wind up too fast.
Start as slow as you can and then speed up as you gain accuracy.

You can made a sling out from diffrent things. Take a look in the gallery on the first-page of this website. There you will found some nice fotos.
________

Ich bin hier im Forum und beim Schleudern ziemlich neu, aber ich hab endeckt - und auch hier im Forum gelesen-  dass man das Ziel leichter treffen kann, ob man langsam schleudert. Als man dann immer besser wird, erhört man die Geschwindlichkeit..

Eine Schleuder kann man aus viele verschiedene Material herstellen. Sehen Sie gern den Gallerie auf der erste Seite dieser Webseite an, da gibt´s viele schöne Fotos zu sehen.

/Ulrica .. who do also can talk and write some in german.

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 5:11pm

Ach so, Ulrika sie konnen vielen Deutsch sprechen!  Meine Freundin ist Deutscherin.  I can speak quite a lot... not too much.  I think my grammar needs some work.  But in my exams I am doing very well.  So I should be able to converse better soon.

IP Logged

austrian_slinger
Novicius

Slinging is life ! The
rest just details!

Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2004 at 5:34pm

Hallo Ulrica ! woher kommst du ? seid wann slingst du ?
wo hast du so gut Deutsch gelernt ?
mfg. Dominik

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 6:05am

Quote:
Ach so, Ulrika sie konnen vielen Deutsch sprechen!  Meine Freundin ist Deutscherin.  I can speak quite a lot... not too much.  I think my grammar needs some work.  But in my exams I am doing very well.  So I should be able to converse better soon.

Hallo English! Ja, ich mag deutsch sehr. Macht mir eine grosse Freude. Smiley

Aber vor wir Ärger kriegen, wechsele ich lieber zu Englisch Wink

Nice that more people know the german language. But you know so many... Smiley

Take care!

Ulrica

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 6:11am

[quote author=austrian_slinger  link=1078806190/0#7 date=1079390078]Hallo Ulrica ! woher kommst du ? seid wann slingst du ?
wo hast du so gut Deutsch gelernt ?
mfg. Dominik[/quote]

Hallo Dominik!

Schön von Dir zu lesen.
Ich hab Dir eine "Message" geschickt. Du kannst sie finden, ob Du ganz oben auf dem "messages"-link (you have 1 Messages) nach dem Grüss ( Hey, Austrian_Slinger)   klickst.

Die anderen können sauer werden, ob wir hier weiter in Deutsch schreiben ;-)

take care!

Ulrica

IP Logged

brug
Tiro

Laß Steine sprechen!

Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 6:31am

Herzlich willkommen im Forum.

Viele Grüße von Brug aus Deutschland

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 8:11am

Vut ares yous guys unt gals spreckusing? Ve ckant untersandansy Vhat yous says Grin Bot goes aheadansy, ve might learn somsing. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 8:29am

Very clever David.   Tongue

Chris

IP Logged

brug
Tiro

Laß Steine sprechen!

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 9:54am

Welcome in the forum Dominik!

From Brug in Germany!

Is it better? I am learning.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2004 at 2:16pm

Apparently I am excellent in German, according to my German teacher.  I am top of the top in my year, which is the top year, so I am the best at German in the school, and I have 100% in my coursework for my exams in German, which is amazingly difficult.  But that is not especially hard.  A lot of the people at my school are quite stupid.  But all the topics we do are stupid things, like how Wolfgang doesn't want to take drugs, but is being pressured by his friends and stuff like that.  Not exactly useful on a forum like this.  And I hate making mistakes, so I am not really very adventurous with languages like this.  I can understand a lot though.  I have been to Germany a lot, and Switzerland, so I do know quite a lot.  Not really Austria though.  Should be passing through in the summer, on the way to Hungary.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris)