Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
interesting bows (Read 4517 times)
english
Ex Member

interesting bows
Mar 5th, 2004 at 8:25am

I am very interested in traditional archery, mostly, the arhcery of so-called "primitive" cultures, such as those of pre-columbian north America or pre-colonial Africa.  I know a lot about eastern bows of America, but not so much about the north west, the bows used by tribes such as the Haida, Tlingit, and all the other coastal tribes.  Does anyone have any information about these, or any other weird and interesting bows?  I have heard the bows described, but the descriptions did not go into anything like nocks, handles, decoration, or anything other than the general shape, that of two paddle shaped limbs.  Anyone?

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Re: interesting bows
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 12:35pm

English
Order the book,"The Traditional Bowyers Bible vol 1",Steve Allely did an outstanding job on the Northwest Indian bows. All kinds of illustrations and photos. He goes into the size, wood, designs painted on the backs, etc...
You should find all the info there.
Johnny
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1585740853/qid=1078504692/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2...

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 12:57pm

Yeah, I have looked at it a bit.  I didn't know there was any information about north western bows in there though.  I have a Jim Hamm/Steve Allely book though, the Encyclopedia of Native American Bows Arrows and Quivers, Vol 1.  Which only includes information on eastern bows.  Anyway, that is a very good book, so any other books by the same people should be good.  Thanks for the suggestion. Smiley

IP Logged

sparticus
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 3:56pm

Hey English,

I was going to suggest the same book for you.  I have all three vol's of the the Bowyer's Bible and its a great source of info.  My interest is also in traditional archery and lately I've been getting into the Composite bows of the Turks, Mongols etc...  I have a contact for you in Washington State.  He is Bowyer Jim Boswell at Rudderbows.com.  He has a great deal of knowledge in bow making and should be able to help you out with book suggestions.  Let him know that Tim Panagos from Pa refered you to him.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2004 at 9:28am

Thanks.  And I have found some other information, mostly just pictures.  Amazingly, there is not a lot of information on the internet, so I had a look through some books, and came up with a few photos from around 1910 of people fishing with bows in the northwest.  I also found some pictures in a childrens colouring book, believe it or not.  Thanks again.  I shall certainly take your advice and get that book.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Re: interesting bows/pana
Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 11:40am

talk about interesting bows:
the fillopino pana is  arrow propelled by natural latex
i recently made one. 60# pull I find it easyer to aim than a bow. just a cool weapon
I need more information about the pana palad wich is a dart thrower of the same type and locality

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 3:46pm

A pana doesn't really come under the heading "bow".  Not sure how to define it.  A kind of primitive dart thing... I don't know.  Hmm...

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 4:09pm

What is a pana? any pictures or websites.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 5:18am

I'm sure I've seen one on some website somewhere.  It looked like a handle with a piece of rubber for shooting small metal darts.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 1:57am

what english is talking about is this web site
http://www.primitiveweapons.com/products/sshot.html
here they show the pana as the dart shooting sling shot
wich acording to Philippino arts thats actuly pana palad
and the bow is the pana on this site he does have a arrow shooter using latex i don't know.
but i do know i coverted my ottshott to throw arrows and it is great.  if it was legal i would take it hunt instead of the recurve i use.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 2:03am

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris)