Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adjustable Sling (Read 8526 times)
WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Adjustable Sling
Feb 29th, 2004 at 12:06am

Ever since seeing Jurek's sling I've been thinking about making an adjustable length sling. The idea was too cool to leave alone. But not wanting to have any excess cord drag, and having pondered where to best place the cord loops I finialy settled on a somewhat different solution.
   First the pouch and toggle were made, then an 1/8" nylon cord was measured to 8' and marked in the middle, then I tied it all together each knot being a figure eignt. The only difference being that I did not cut the cord into to two lengths, but rather passed it under the pouch leaving some extra cord here to form a slight loop that allows the pouch to stretch, but not so much that it will hang down alot. This configuration allows me to take out the knots move the pouch tie it back in and slip the now excess cord up through the toggle where it is wraped together and tied with a few half hitches. The excess cord is simply held in the hand with the toggle during the throw.
    The end results is an adjustable sling that can be changed "in the field" from 4' to any desireable shorter length. There should be littel extra cord drag. The same sling can now be used for pitching rocks far out into a lake, or throwing at  targets. This makes WalkingBird very happy.
    Hope it helps someone else enjoy their slinging even more.

WalkingBird

Who is very happy.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Adjustable Sling
Reply #1 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 5:32pm

.....very clever, & elegant in it's simplicity!   Next time I make a sling, it's exactly what I'll do!   mgreenfield

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 10:54pm

MGreenfield

Thanks for the reply. With as many as read the post and no feedback I was beginning to think that the discription was difficult to follow. But as you say it is quite simple. Good luck if you build one, hope you enjoy using it.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 11:22pm

Nice idea.  I do sort of the same thing with my rope sling, but adding a regular pouch would let me throw a wider variety of stone sizes.  Thanks for the tip!

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 3:29pm

WalkingBird,

I like your idea too. Your explanation is clear, even for me Smiley The toggle is very handy in that adjustment way, indeed.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 11:15pm

Yurek

Thanks, I appreciate the reply from you especially because your sling pictrues inspired me.
    And yes the use of a toggle helps, but i suppose one could find away to also use a wrist strap or finger loop.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2004 at 11:04am

WalkingBird,

Quote:
...but i suppose one could find away to also use a wrist strap or finger loop...

Yeah, if a finger loop or wrist strap is a separate part, it will be as same easy as with a toggle, I suppose.

Jurek, who is glad that his way inspired WalkingBird to find out a better way Smiley

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 11:30am

An easy adjustable sling would be a sling with only toggles, no loop, and lots of toggle along one end, with matching positions on the release:

|               |         The colons represent the positions of
::              ::       knots as toggles.  They are at the same
  |               |       place along on each.  So this image
::              ::       represents the two pieces of cord.  No
  |               |       need to have a moveable pouch.
  |               |       The drawback is, as you say, excess
  |               |       cord drag.  But it is no big deal, I think.
  |               |

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2004 at 8:32pm

english
   Sounds like it might work, but I'd be cautious of the release cord getting tangled on the additional toggles. Still a single toggle can be easily slid up and down the cord and an over hand know tied above it. Hummmmm..
Might work.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2004 at 12:14am

OK, I found a knot called a "Midshipmans Hitch Or Tautline Hitch" (go to realknots.com).  If tied correctly, it's adjustable, like a slip-knot, but only if you hold the knot with one hand and pull on the rope with the other.  You can put as much pressure on the loop or the rest of the rope as you want, and it won't slip!  How about using it at the end of each of the cords.  That way, you can make the loop small for a longer sling, larger for a shorter sling.  Hope this is making sense...

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

sling.

Poland
Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2004 at 6:43am

Hobb,

The Midshipmans Hitch is exellent. What about useing two these knots on the each side of the pouch. The knots would be tied on the endings of the overlaped cords.

Jurek

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 11:36am

I've actually thought about trying to make one of these somehow, and lo and behold, I find a thread about it! This might be interesting if someone can make a good design.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 12:52pm

maybe the cord would be coiled under the pouch as a base- and it could untwist? nah, i think the ides stated above are better.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15)