Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling Legality (Read 7794 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Sling Legality
Reply #15 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 6:42am

In Deutschland gilt die sling als Spielzeug. Zum Glück. Ich hoffe es bleibt so. Angriffe auf Polizei werden leider häufiger.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Frondeur

I'm the lead slinger in
a hard rock band

France
Reply #16 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 8:25am

In france, there's four categories of weapons, rated from A (highly restrected) to D. The sling would definely go as a "C-class weapon" as a propeller shooting over 20joules. Well... Sling is no propeller, merely a lever, and almost every adult human can easily throw a rock with KE over 20j, with or vithout lever... Nah, go and try to explain this to a juge...

legaly, you can own a sling, providing you had no problem with the police before, and you are a registered hunter, or registered sportsman, but you have to register it to the "prefecture de police", witch is a fairly high instance of the police. you cannot go with it, unless not ready to use (a bow must be unstringd; should a sling be unbraided?)
at home it must be secured in a safe or another adapted box.

and if you've been naughty, you risk 2 years of jail, and a 30 000€ fine, up to 7 years and 100 000€ per person if you are - or look like - an organised group.

Well, obviously this nonsense was intended for firearms, and was expanded to include any type of weapon, with little reflexion...

Never heard of someone beeing jailed for sport- or play slinging, but given the justice ways in france... Lips Sealed

references:
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCode.do?idSectionTA=LEGISCTA000027591634&ci...
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCode.do?idSectionTA=LEGISCTA000029658835&ci...

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #17 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 10:09am

Things that are illegal are not always something you'll get arrested for. Unless you are using a sling to hunt or you're actively hurting or endangering people/property I can't see anyone but the most over-zealous cop bothering to go through the paperwork. Might get it taken off you if they're feeling spiteful or you might get a warning but I doubt anyone, anywhere would actually end up in court over slinging practice. I really don't worry. Where I sling, I've been using tennis balls and have already chatted a bit with some of the nearby residents. I think they just think of me as a harmless eccentric. No idea how they got that impression though...

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #18 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:18am

@Jaegoor, in Deutschland gilt die Schleuder als "gefährlicher Gegestand" , wie auch Hämmer, Schraubendreher und ähnliches. Solang man sich von Demos fernhält & sie nicht gegen Tiere, Menschen oder zur Sachbeschädigung nutzt ist alles ok.

Die meisten Polizisten würden sie aber nicht als solche erkennen.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #19 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 7:16pm

Finnish law says:
"tarkkuuslingot ja tarkkuussingot ovat kiellettyjä."

Literally, this means: "Accuracy slings and accuracy Bazookas are forbidden."

But in practice, it prohibits wrist-slingshots and weapons that can accurately "throw" something.

Exactly and strictly interpreted, if the sling is accurate, it is forbidden. But it is difficult for the judge to show that the sling is "Accuracy-Sling".

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #20 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 5:41am

As far as I know, there is actually no specific law prohibiting slings in Western Australia. Whilst Slingshots are illegal, slings are not mentioned or even defined by law (Except Tasmania, which has 'Hunting slings'... which I understand is a slingshot and is not a sling). Weirdly enough, you can buy slingshot projectiles and rubber tubing, but you cannot legally buy or own a slingshot... What!?

This means that If I could get arrested by the police, they'd probably do so under the 'loitering' law, which allows policemen to arrest someone who they think is suspicious and could be a threat... which essentially means to me "Don't be an idiot."... Which I shall try not to be.

And since Lawn-darts are legal... does that mean Cestrosphendone is completely fine! That'd be deadly as all hell! Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #21 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 8:24pm

TheJackinati wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 5:41am:
And since Lawn-darts are legal... does that mean Cestrosphendone is completely fine! That'd be deadly as all hell! Grin

When a human can turn a rock and some string into a deadly weapon, it’s silly to try to ban all these weapons. Once you make assault and murder illegal the rest is superfluous anyway!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 9:11pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 8:24pm:
TheJackinati wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 5:41am:

When a human can turn a rock and some string into a deadly weapon, it’s silly to try to ban all these weapons. Once you make assault and murder illegal the rest is superfluous anyway!

Exactly.  I could take a scarf and use it for a sling.  So should scarves be illegal?  It gets ridiculous.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #23 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:06am

This is why I say almost everyone will be fine with slinging as long as you aren't being an idiot.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #24 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 11:59pm

In Oregon, carrying any weapon concealed is illegal with the exception of a handgun for a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun. Ownership and use of weapons is allowed for most things that are legally owned as long as they are being used outside city limits

IP Logged

Genghisken
Tiro

If you can't be good...be
good AT IT!

Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:53am

I'm a Paralegal here in North Carolina and what I find in Most states in the U.S. is that it really doesn't matter what the item is, if it can be "USED" with "Ill Intent" then it can be construed as a dangerous weapon. 

There are no specific bans here in NC on slings.  At least none naming the sling specifically.  However, use it to hurl molotov coctails at a protest and and you better have an attorney on speed dial.

The rule in my household is similar to one of the firearms rules which of course is that we are responsible for the entire travel of that projectile.  There can simply be no "accidentally hit _______" when you release that pouch, you own the contact.  Therefore, plan accordingly when looking for practice grounds and practice ammunition.

In the Army we did not do live fire exercises in downtown Raleigh.  We did them in designated areas where damage to the property and citizenry could be mitigated. 

As for carrying a concealed sling?  Remember that the sling isn't technically a weapon until it is loaded.  It is just a bunch of string which I suppose could be used as a Garotte...but that is another argument.

The final point is that it is highly unlikely we will see a blurb on the 6 o'clock news about a mass slinging incident at a local mall.  Therefore there is likely less knee jerk reaction when someone spots a sling in your hand, but then a lot of that is due to the lack of familiarity.  Until irresponsible slingers give folks a reason to feel threatened by the existence of slings, most folks will be oblivious.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:20pm

Well said  Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #27 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:09pm

Genghisken wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:53am:
The final point is that it is highly unlikely we will see a blurb on the 6 o'clock news about a mass slinging incident at a local mall.  Therefore there is likely less knee jerk reaction when someone spots a sling in your hand, but then a lot of that is due to the lack of familiarity.  Until irresponsible slingers give folks a reason to feel threatened by the existence of slings, most folks will be oblivious.

Ah, but you are forgetting about those high-capacity assault slings that are extra powerful when made out of military-grade paracord! If you tried to hunt with an assault sling, the animal would catch on fire right before it exploded!  There’s no legitimate reason a civilian should own one.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Genghisken
Tiro

If you can't be good...be
good AT IT!

Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Reply #28 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 3:41pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:09pm:
Genghisken wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:53am:

Ah, but you are forgetting about those high-capacity assault slings that are extra powerful when made out of military-grade paracord! If you tried to hunt with an assault sling, the animal would catch on fire right before it exploded!  There’s no legitimate reason a civilian should own one. 

oh drat, you do make an excellent point...  Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)