David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Repair Help
Feb 12th, 2004 at 2:24pm

Ben, Jeff, Justbarak, or anyone,

My dog chewed the finger loop off and I am trying to repair it. I know how to add length to a round braid, but how can I make a loop and then tie it into the existing cord? The origional was made using 8 strands. I doubles them up so I was actually braiding 4-double strands. After I braided about 6 inches, I folded it into a loop and braided 16 strands for about 8 inched until I was back to just 4-double strands. I followed the 20 steps style.

Is it possible to convey it in words?

Thanks for any help

David

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Re: Repair Help
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 3:16pm

Personally, I would just braid two smaller braids out from the cord and then tie them together at the end with hitches and leave a tassle after the loop. 

To make a loop, you'd need the loop strands to double back over and braid over the top of your original cord braid.  That's hard to do nicely.  Sorry to hear about your dog.  It seems dogs really love Peruvian slings. 

Ben

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 5:40pm

Dave, send me a pic.  I would like to see the damaged sling.  I think I have an idea, but need to know the damage first.

Ben's suggestion is good, too, BTW.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

justbarak

Nashville, TN
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 6:46pm

Ben's idea is good, however you might come up slightly short on length, it depends on how slack your loop was to begin with.  Another option is to overlap the broken strings with another 3 - 6 strings (which extend the length of the loop) or to unbraid it until you have just enough length with which to tie each of the broken ends together (did he chew all the way through?).  Then do a traditional wrap with a separate string or a half-hitch wrap.  Wrap it starting on one side and go all the way around to the other.  The last half or three quarters inch take another string about 10 inches long and double it over.  Put the loop side at the end where you plan on finishing the wrap with an inch of loop extending beyond.  Then continue wrapping, but overtop this looped piece of string (the ends will hang out of the wrap where you began wrapping over top).  When you get to the end, put the end of your wrap through the loop and then pull on the opposite protruding ends - it will pull your loose end underneith.  Pull it all the way through if you can and then cut it off flush - the end will disappear and you'll have a clean looking wrap with no visible ends or knots. 

I like wraps because they are thick, soft, and comfortable - I use them for wrist loops though.  Don't know if it would be too thick on a finger loop; would depend on the thickness of your braid.

Barak

WWW justbarak  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 11:13pm

Thanks guys!

I shall try to figure out the posts and probably end up making a simple knot work.

But, one day I will do a 20-30 hour braided sling like some of yal. (that's "you guys" in southern talk)  Grin

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 11:28pm

David,  you have been exposed to the influence of folks outside the south for too long.

"ya'll" is singular

"all ya'll" is plural

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 1:55am

Jeff,

I sholy thak ya fo that explanashun Grin Iz waz born in Vaginy but yuz rat-- Iz lived in the noth most ma lafe Grin Grin

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 3:30am

THAT is called a language?   Shocked

And people actually understand it?  Wink

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 4:19pm

They do, but I sometimes have to think real hard before I know what was said. Grin Other languages must have odd dialects?

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 7:38pm

Yep,  Southern is a dialect, alright.

All languages that have any significant geographical range have dialects.  It is just a natural progression of linquistics.

Don't let the difficulty of understanding the dialect lead you to think the people are illeterate, however.

Ulrica,  Dan spelled the words phonetically, we all use the same words, just pronounce them a bit differently and sometimes use them in different ways.  The same goes for many languages.  The romance languages are notorious for dropping letters and even entire syllables.  The dialect we speak in the southern states of the U.S. is no different.  In fact, we have many dialects in the U.S., most folks just don't want to admit it and pick on us southerners.

jeff <>< who loves being southern

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 9:01pm

Ya, fer sure, hey!  Und enda upnord Wisconsin we speak da yooper dialect.    mgreenfield

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2004 at 9:07pm

Se mi amigos, and soon Espanol will be the language en Norte America Grin Adios

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 3:14am

Jeff, and all others.

I was just kidding a little bit. It just looked so funny.

We do have strange dialects here in sweden too, I can not understand those up in north or in the south if they talk their dialect for example.. And that is the case in more areas here in Sweden.
They even use own words...

People around here, where I live now in the landshape Närke, can emmidiately say, that I´m from "dalarna" when I start to talk just because I pronounce the words a little bit different Wink

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 3:03pm

Quote:
Se mi amigos, and soon Espanol will be the language en Norte America Grin Adios

Muy bueno David, así podré viajar a Norteamérica a pesar de mi mal inglés  Grin

Hondero

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2004 at 4:20pm

Hola Hondero!

No No!! Mi espanol no es muy bueno pedo hablo y entiendo un poco de espanol. Tango cien lecciones? de espanol (audio CDs) Escucho solo diez y ocho lecciones?( ?como se vise--"so far" en espanol?)
Escucho y repitalo y repitalo y repitalo. Quiza puedo hablar sufficiente comer y beber--pedo no muchas cosas.

Me gusta la serbeza con pizza, pedo demasiado serbeza es malo para la cabesa

I was trying to say: no no my spanish is not very good but I speak and understand a little spanish. I have 100 lessons of spanish on audio CDs. I listen to only 18 lessons. ( How do you say: "so far" in spanish) I can speak enough to eat and to drink but not many things. I like beer with pizza but too much beer is bad for the head.

Mas tarde, adios Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick)