Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Slinging Technique #1 - Underhand (Read 8575 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Slinging Technique #1 - Underhand
Feb 2nd, 2004 at 3:43pm

Friends, ....please see the photo referred to by JeffH in his posting "Pic of Slinger".  This photo is at www.fifth-essence.com/archive/bestpix2003/index.htm. ; See also the drawing posted by Hondero as Reply #5 to the same posting.

Suddenly I'm getting GREAT improvement in accuracy & consistency with heavier (to 120gram) rocks using the pictured technique as follows:

1/ Load up with a rock & take the stance of the Palestinian kid, ....note back of sling hand toward the target.  Also, retained cord on ring finger of sling hand.  Other hand gently pinching the pocket-with-stone, and holding it up so the sling cords are tight and about pointed at the target.   Knees bent slightly.

2/ With a "little lift-from-the-knees" start the sling rotating by pulling the pocket-with-stone from between the pinching fingers.   Accelerate the rotation through 630deg of rotation (1-3/4 turn total) to launch the stone when the sling just passes your legs near the bottom of it's circle of rotation.

This technique seems to get the rotation off to  a "snappy start".    It doesn't feel like you're winding up with almost 2 full turns, instead of just 1-and-launch.   The back of sling hand toward target start may keep the cords from twisting as much.   

AND THE BEST PART, ....I'm getting some "whip cracks" off the end of the release cord at launch.

I'd be most interested in other folks' experiences with this technique, ....and improvement suggestions.

This is startin' to be REALLY fun!    mgreenfield

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Re: Slinging Technique #1 - Underhand
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2004 at 11:29pm

MGreenfield,

Could you please look up on, I believe, page 4 of the 9 pages of topics, a post I made called "More Pics" on Oct 10th

It has pictures and a step by step discription of what we use and I would really like to know if it is like your     od. Thanks

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 12:16am

those of us with access to digital video cameras should make some small .avi's of our respective swings. I'm sure it'd be eye openening. Do you think that there would be enough band width to host them here?

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 12:27am

Yep.  I actually host the movies and images on another server. 

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 8:33am

Lets do it.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 10:13am

David_T, .....what your boy shows in "More Pics" is similar to what I went FROM to get where I am now.  Differences are these:

1/ I start out with the sling, etc more to the side of my head, ....much like the position you'd use in drawing a bow, if you took the bow string somewhat past your ear.  I stand with my side toward the target, and a line thru my toes running thru the target.

2/ I put in 1 FULL additional rotation before launch.   This is what made the huge difference from where I was to where I am.    Total rotation is 1-3/4turns.   It looks like your boy is putting in between 3/4 and 1 turn.

3/ All rotation is in a vertical plane, with (for now) almost all arm motion in the forearm and wrist only.   Maybe I'll figure out how to get some shoulder power into the launch later.   For now, anything other than forearm & wrist lofts the rock and puts a bad "hook into the drive".   Standing like I do, all (most?) rotation is in front of my body, not off to the side, though I think I twist my body a little on launch.    Once I get the rock moving, I think my elbow is pretty much "parked" near my hip.

4/ Start of the rotation is relatively gentle, with (I think) some "whipping" acceleration right before launch.   I wish I could describe this better.   But for sure!, if I try to "force" the acceleration, I mess up accuracy big time, AND take a LOT of launch velocity off the rock.   The whole spin-up has to feel "natural" and un-forced to work right for me.    I figured this out when I noticed that gentle warm up shots were flying a lot faster, straighter, longer, lower than later "muscle" shots.

So, slinging is starting (for me) to feel a lot like golf with importance of proper setup and form, easy swing, let the club do the work, etc.

I've used x2 slings, ....one of Ben's Peruvian models which measures 33" center-of-pocket to center-of-finger-loop of the retained cord, and a homebrew item just under 37" measured the same.   For now, the Peruvian is working much better, and I think it's because the retained cord is relatively fat and rough, and has a "more secure feel".   The homebrew sling cords are slick hard 1/8" braided nylon, and have a lousey feel.

The movie idea is a great one, especially if we could run them in slo-mo.    I'd like to see if I'm really doing what I described above. Cheesy

mgreenfield

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 11:09am

What format would you like those movies in? I'm sure some of us don't have much experience with compression formats (luckily I have friends that do).

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 3:28pm

The best is a mpeg file (.mpg).  I can convert that to lots of other formats.  Quicktime is also good (.mov).  WMA is not so good.  Maybe someone can convert those into mpegs for me.

BTW, there are already a few movies for download in the articles section.  Look for the camera icon next to the article name. 

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 9:00pm

Thanks for the Reply,

Just to be sure I understand--say your sling is hanging staight down---when you start the rotation, the pouch goes forward and up and around--correct?Clockwise as you are looking to your right side where the sling is rotating?

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2004 at 9:20pm

David_T, .....correct.   Forward, up, and around.   I'm a lefty, so dont know what's clockwise and what's not  Cheesy.     mgreenfield

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 5:46pm

Friends, ....if any of you are trying this technique, and not seeing the promised snappy action, it may be because your sling is too long.   Conventional sling-wisdom is "the longer the better", but maybe not so here.

My Peruvian sling is about 33" pocket-center to finger-loop-center.   My homebrew was closer to 37", and I just couldnt get the "right snap" with it.  It just felt sluggish.  So, I trimmed it down to 33", and bingo, the snap started to come back.   I may try just a little shorter to see what happens.

I have no clue what the arm/sling geometry is that made the difference.    ???

For a reference, with my arm fully stretched out horizontally, and the cord loop on my "bird" finger, the sling pocket-center will reach right to the center of my breastbone, with the cord pulled straight, but not real tight.

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 10:09am

Hi!
earlier in this tread it was mentioned that we could send a short movie to show our technic..
It seems like I´m first out..
I just want to add, as I don´t have any digital camera only a web camera I recorded mine indoors with the stone tight up so it wouldn´t fly away... It was a really strange and odd feeling to do it indoors and infront of a camera Wink But at least one could see how I want to sling and with more practise hopefully will do better...

http://users.bestweb.net/~hesham/slingingGalleryImages/UlricaSlinging.wmv

/Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 10:15am

LOL!  I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do that. Thanks for breaking the ice. I think digital movies will be a great way to share technique. Now, about that helicopter whirl! I think it is time for you to move to the underhand or overhand throw.  Smiley  Dan

PS:  Knock on Jen's door and tell her its time to get up!

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 11:29am

Good style Ulrica, for the limitations of indoors. Outdoors, you have to open more the arm bacwards in the final whirl to get a good momentum in the throwing.
You are an advanced beginner Wink

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 12:51pm

Quote:
LOL!  I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do that. Thanks for breaking the ice. I think digital movies will be a great way to share technique. Now, about that helicopter whirl! I think it is time for you to move to the underhand or overhand throw.  Smiley  Dan

PS:  Knock on Jen's door and tell her its time to get up!

Thank you Dan. Yeah, someone has to break the ice Smiley
When I´m out I try to sling with different techniques, but somehow I like this way to do it.

And it´s my son´s door there in the Background, his name is Jens Smiley

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)