AMMO!!!! (Read 6611 times)
remy
Novicius

well, i wasn't aiming
for you... sorry!!

harford county, maryland
AMMO!!!!
Jan 31st, 2004 at 6:41pm

well, i'm new to the site... it's pretty cool...

i made two slings a few days ago... one is a two cord style of hemp with a leather pouch... the other is of the three string variety with the same materials... (i have found that the three string works much better for me so far...)

after getting the hang of it, so to speak, i like the underhand vertical release with one revolution. i estimate my range to be between 100 and 300 feet with decent sized stones a little bigger than golf balls, AND it is really fun slinging in the snow and then trying to find the used ammo again, hehheh. Roll Eyes

but, to the main point, i went to the store today and got a great deal on some AMMO... golf balls, tennis balls, and [insert drumroll] WATER BALLOONS!!!

tomorrow i will go to the park with my sister and we will have fun chasing golf balls down in the snow, and see how interesting water balloons will be... i think they will be good for summer!

anyway, thanks for the cool site, and hopefully slinging will become a little more popular!

remy

the others don't understand this obsession. the others never held a sling.
emperorofthedawn  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Re: AMMO!!!!
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 7:18pm

Remy,

Fill those ballons with water and set them out over night.  They will freeze into great ammo.

Let us know how it works.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 7:32pm

I've tried water balloons in the past.  The ones i had tended to break from the centripetal force.  You'll have to go nice and easy on the wind up if you want them to come out whole.  Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.   Tongue

Chris

IP Logged

remy
Novicius

well, i wasn't aiming
for you... sorry!!

harford county, maryland
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 7:43pm

okay... how about filling the balloons with gelatin? haha

actually, the tennis and golf balls are the projectiles i want to test... the balloons are just for sh@ts and giggles... i already split a tennis ball to use as a mold, and am also going to try a ping-pong ball as a mold... and i just had a thought! has anyone tried using a stiff mix of cement in a melon baller? seems to me it would be almost like casting lead bullets, like for black powder... and a stiff enough mix of cement will hold it's shape till it cures completely, so you can make many 'melon balls' at one sitting.

remy

emperorofthedawn  
IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 10:56pm

Hey, I like the ping-pong ball mold idea for small size ammo. The smooth surface should make it easy to take apart after the cement hardens. I will have to try it myself.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2004 at 11:35pm

I found 300 ping pong balls on ebay just now for $32 (current bid).

This would be great.  Just fill up the ball and throw it.  Don't even peel it.

If DavidT's concrete ball made from a tennis ball weighed 5 ounces, the ping pong ball would weigh much less; maybe 2.5 ounce or so.  They should throw great, nonetheless.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

remy
Novicius

well, i wasn't aiming
for you... sorry!!

harford county, maryland
ping-pong
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 12:20pm

yeah, that would be cool. if they decided to shatter, the ball would keep the cement from flying everywhere...

what if there was a .50 cal lead ball in the center for weight? they would be a good size still and should be more than 2.5 oz when cured...

remy

emperorofthedawn  
IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 3:03pm

I don't believe one could get a lead ball concentrically located in the concrete.  This would make for an eccentrically weighted stone, which would fly weird and crooked.  This defeats the purpose of a round ball.

jeff <><

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 3:58pm

I suggest you to try an effective and amusing projectile: just eggs  Grin   They are suitable in size, shape and weight, and also they are consistent to be thrown with sling. They have the advantage of being explosive but not lethal and so you can throw them to your annoying neighbours. Nevertheless they have the disadvantage of being only one-use and a little expensive projectils, but so amusing... Cheesy

Hondero

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 4:12pm

Hmmm...

But if you like your neighbour and donīt want to spoil that friendship?

What about cook them first? ( no not the neighbour, the egg!)

just an little idea....

Ulrica

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 4:37pm

biodegradable too.

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 4:51pm

Hondero, eggs? Well one thing to be sure, once you have launched them the "annoying neighbors" will not be reusing them and throwing the same ones back.

WalkingBird

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 6:43pm

But what about the rotten eggs? These must be terrible as ammo Lips Sealed It is a kind of a dirty weapon. I'm sure it is forbiden.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 6:54pm

Yes, Ulrica idea "What about cook them first? ( no not the neighbour, the egg!)" I think is not fine... I can imagine  the slinger bag full of fried eggs... and besides the air drag of fried eggs may be not the optimal... Hmm, donīt know, donīt know...

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #14 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 7:02pm

The fired eggs are very practical thing. If you come back from the hunting without the trophy, you may eat the eggs thouh.

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man)