Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Pic of Slinger
Jan 27th, 2004 at 7:23pm

Click here and go down almost to the bottom of the page:
http://www.fifth-essence.com/archive/bestpix2003/index.htm

The caption says "slingshot" but it is obviously a sling the young Palestinian is using.

Notice that his stance is almost identical to that of David T's son just prior to throwing.  He is seriously contemplating his target.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Pic of Slinger
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2004 at 7:54pm

....great photo shot!     How does the thumb-on-the-stone-in-the-pocket stance then progress to the launch?  A quick underhand whip I suppose.  How does this stance and delivery contribute to accuracy?  If there's a stone in the pocket, it must not be very large.   Looks like there's a retention loop around bird or ring finger.   BACK of sling hand is toward the target?   Hmmm!  This means the sling stone doesnt have to turn 360deg to keep the cords from twisting during launch!   I note that this is the exact pose also appearing in some ancient bas-reliefs I remember seeing on this site.   Inquiring minds want to know how this works!   Tnx!     mgreenfield

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 12:43am

Holding the sling pouch up in front of you allows for additional aiming and removes the need to rock the sling back and forth to get it up to speed.  I've used this technique in the past. 

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 1:32am

It looks to me like this slinger is using a dowel retaining cord as, I believe, Walkingbird describes. His fingers appear to be spread as they would for that type retenstion cord?? Not that it really matters, but it is interesting.

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 12:40pm

.....looks like THE technique to use for game hunting!

HONDERO, .....is this what the Baleric guys look like when they take aim??

mgreenfield

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
at waist levelRe: Pic of Slinger
Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 2:02pm

MGREENFIELD...  Grin,   no, itīs not the style present Balearics use. They use differentes styles but one very common is like this you can see here:
http://perso.wanadoo.es/hondero/honda.htm  
Itīs a very intuitive style and consist of one motion backwards and then foward and throwing at waist level, without whirling.

That of the Palestinian is similar to this used for Greeks in the antiquity, as can be seen in this drawing from an old Greek vase:

Hummm, this forum gives me a lot of work...   itīs a jest, really itīs a pleasure  Smiley

Hondero

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2004 at 4:17pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 8:16pm

Hondero, ....wow! your website is super, pero yo tengo que aprender el espanol.    I'll be back to look at it some more.    Many tnx!    mgreenfield
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2004 at 3:04pm by mgreenfield »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man)