Send Topic Print
Cestrosphendone (Read 161079 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Re: Cestrosphendone
Reply #330 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 11:19am

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 4:22pm:
Hondero:

I have shot up to now my arrows with this Sling. I like your method, however, much better.

Pretty sling, this design was the first I tried and it works also well, but the problem was that the  point nail the pouch, as you´ll have noticed. The solution is to use a rounded point or to place a little piece of leather between the point and the pouch. Nice that we are at least two cestrosphendoners Smiley

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #331 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 11:32am

Hondero

one can solve this problem also differently.

Simply do not put then arrow in the middle.

The centrifugal force does not press then arrow then any more with the point in the leather.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #332 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 1:53pm

I don´t understand clearly how you place the dart in the sling, perhaps a drawing or a photo will clarify it to me. Do you mean  the point is placed on an end of the pouch?
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2012 at 4:02pm by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #333 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 3:55pm

Or do you place it with the tail in the pouch and the point in the loop?

IP Logged

Matt Borel
Descens

I can almost hit almost
anything.

Portland, Oregon
Reply #334 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 6:18pm

Hondero, your mentioning the throw being different than for a stone got me wondering.
1. What is, or what seems to be the reason for this? Weight? Length? Release trajectory?
2. Could you imagine a staff sling setup as being a reasonable way to launch a dart? For example, your sling design attached to a staff. This would require a relatively overhead/overhand release, of course. If not, what problems do you imagine?

Thanks,
Matt

I don't care if I'm a geek,&&I'm going to make a sling a week.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #335 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 10:08pm

Wondered about that myself. The way it's held in the special sling means it initially launches sideways to the direction of motion and has to right itself to fly point forward.

However, once it's stabilized, it should have great velocity retention due to its aerodynamic shape. Also being quite short and stiff in comparison with an arrow that sharpened broadhead point would be ultra-lethal giving great penetration, and much deadlier than an equivalent weight stone.

Incidentally, David Engvall's special distance record setting dart was attached to its sling at the point of balance and rotated point forward at all times, thus would have been more ergonomically efficient at the cost of being more complicated.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #336 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 12:45pm

Matt Borel wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 6:18pm:
Hondero, your mentioning the throw being different than for a stone got me wondering.
1. What is, or what seems to be the reason for this? Weight? Length? Release trajectory?
2. Could you imagine a staff sling setup as being a reasonable way to launch a dart? For example, your sling design attached to a staff. This would require a relatively overhead/overhand release, of course. If not, what problems do you imagine?

The reason why the cestrosphendon need a special throwing stye has to do, in my opinion, with the conservation of angular momentum. In a conventional sling the main thing is the speed you give to the stone at the release time. So any style is good if the projectile at that speed is released towards the target, flying tangent to the throwing tarjectory. In fact, the throw is a suddent pull forward after spinning a little to give some tension to the cords. The  pouch, by the efect of inertia, remains backwards, and only when the arm stops reaching its maximum extent pointed towards the target, is when the pouch describe a nearly 90-degree arc until the projectile is in the tangent to the target, which is the instant to release it.

In the cestrosphendone, the throwing trajectory is wider and the aceleración is progresive and smooth so that the pouch does not remain far behind to avoid the 90 degree turn and the corresponding high angular velocity at the release point, that makes the dart to spin itself around its balance center and fly erratic.

About staff-sling, I haven´t tried it but may be is the same problem at the final part of the launching: a high angular aceleration. Nevertheless it would be interesting to try it  and see what happens.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #337 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:35pm

Aussie, you're right that the dart is released crossed into the path toward the target and has to be stabilized in flight. To this it helps the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which makes the dart turn toward the target, even too much, causing a wobble that stabilizes soon.
The David Engevall´s apparatus is really a cestrosphendone oriented not to war but to set a distance record. Requires an attachement similar to a fishing swivel that allows the dart fly right in the spinning, without following the twisting motion of the cords. I guess the Macedonians did not know this type of devices because they had adopted them if posible to adapt to a kestros Smiley.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2012 at 3:24pm by Hondero »  

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #338 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 4:03pm

I still dont understand why they didnt just tie a length of string to the dart and let them fly together.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #339 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 4:22pm

David Morningstar wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 4:03pm:
I still dont understand why they didnt just tie a length of string to the dart and let them fly together.

well with a cestros if you were a slinger you would be using a skill you already knew. there's a few differences, but i assume the motion would still be pretty similar. plus you could still sling rocks out of a cestros modified sling (you would probably have to add a few knots to shorten the release cord), so they didn't have to pull out a different sling. plus with much use and drilling it would probably be faster to load.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #340 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 4:47pm

David Morningstar wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 4:03pm:

Because the trailing string would cause an enormous amount of drag significantly reducing the range.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Matt Borel
Descens

I can almost hit almost
anything.

Portland, Oregon
Reply #341 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 5:53pm

Plus, with a string attached, it could be thrown right back at you. If your darts and unequal-length sling split were even somewhat proprietary in geometry, it would be difficult for your enemy to do much more than fling it with the bare hand.

I don't care if I'm a geek,&&I'm going to make a sling a week.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #342 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 8:27am

yep,and it's a waste of cord,which has to be spun and carried,then thrown. But the main problem would be the huge drag,like Aussie says,greatly affecting range.And as far as our modern experiences with the cestro,it has significantly less range than traditional sling ammo so adding more drag would be just a pure degradation.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #343 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 12:11pm

jlasud wrote on Jan 8th, 2012 at 8:27am:
... And as far as our modern experiences with the cestro,it has significantly less range than traditional sling ammo...

Not a significative less range, about a 20% less, what in my case is around 100 m. with a cestros of 100 gr. As I´ve said before, I think a good long range slinger can reach 200 m. or more.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #344 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 12:55pm

compared to stones ,a cestro has similar range,compared to lead,~half the range

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick)