Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Apache Throwing Stars (Read 15118 times)
english
Ex Member

Apache Throwing Stars
Jan 18th, 2004 at 12:18pm

Does anyone know anything about so-called Apache throwing stars?  I heard that they are wooden crosses, or something, with sharp ends to throw at things.  I would like to know how to make some.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Re: Apache Throwing Stars
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2004 at 10:23am

I think I may have seen an article on some crossed stakes tied together and sharpened on all four points in a magazine some years ago.  I think that it was some kind of martial arts, or mountain survival mag of some sort, and was probably back sometime around the late eighties or early nineties when the "survivalist" mountain man back-to-nature idea was still popular, before it got mutated into the camo-clad freak criminal image, and lost popularity.  I think I recall recall them being called "throwing crosses", or something like that at the time.

I know that I have read some articles claiming that certain Western American Indian tribes had the equivalent of East Asian "Martial Arts" systems, but have my doubts as to the accuracy of such statements.  I think that such claims may merely be offshoots of some widespread, well-intentioned romanticism, and an understandable attempt by modern people to try to make the necessary survival and fighting skills which may WELL have been taught within, and traded among groups of tribes of Indians and white soldiers (or more likely, pirates and sailors) fit into the forms and concepts familiar to us in the age and aftermath of the post WWII, and 1970's-80's East Asian martial arts boom.

I think it more likely that if any such analogous systems had actually existed, they would have been heard of and recorder prior to said boom.  As a Native American, I hope I can be proven wrong regarding this notion, but before the wonderful POST-Bruce Lee-era film, "The Last of the Mohicans" (The 1980's version starring Daniel Day Lewis and Madeline Stowe), the only Indian I ever heard of or saw depicted using Asian-type "martial arts" techniques was in the horrible Indian/biker/war vet/karate exploitation film "Billie Jack", and its thankfully few sequels.  I just thank God that all of this happend in the 70's and not the 80's, or there most certainly would have been a T.V. series or film called something like, "Geronimo: Indian Medicine Ninja versus Wild Kung Fu Bill"!

These kinds of popular culture trends may have influenced the source for the claim that the tribes had these ingenius, if superfluous alleged supplements to their already effective trade rifles, hatchets, knives, clubs, (rarely) slings, bows and arrows, horse riding (post Spanish invasion), blowpipes, wrestling and fist fighting skills.  I just think that the needs of most of the people back then were so basic and critical that they didn't have time to fiddle around with fancy fighting systems and concepts that we have the luxury of studying and developing today, or in relatively affuent and highly systematic East Asian cultures who could support a class of scientific healer-killers and warrior monks with sufficient time on their hands to become masters-at-arms and doctors of both black, and white medicine in their spare time.

I've just never seen the evidence that these types of "throwing stars" ever existed in ancient times, but I could very well be wrong.  It would sure be neat if they actually did.

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2004 at 1:04pm

Well, I just saw these neat little pictures on google, and got wondering.  I checked them out, and saw that these particular weapons had metal points, and therefore were not pre-columbian.  Perhaps they were based on an earlier weapons system, although this may not be so.  Perhaps the various Apache groups saw new possibilities, weapon wise, with the arrival of iron and steel, and these throwing crosses may be a manifestation of that.  I will try and check up on it.
 As to your point about native American peoples using martial arts in films, I remember seeing a film from France called "the Brotherhood Of The Wolf", set in late eighteenth century France, in which there was a supposed Mohawk in the service of France, who employed many eastern martial arts set pieces, such as flying kick, Jackie Chan-style stunts.  It was almost entirely historically inaccurate in every way, but in showing a native American employing such skills was rather beyond any other crass historical idiocy in the rest of the film.  And I agree that The Last of the Mohicans is a superb film, and that the supposed martial arts are suitable.  I believe that they are not replicating in any real manner the Asian martial arts techniques, but rather showing how best the weapons of a north eastern tribe could be used, and this is possibly very historically accurate.  
Anyway, I tried to make such crosses with no real instructions of any kind, and they actually work very well.  I did not use metal points, but rather fire-hardened the tips.  This is, I believe, the way a pre-Columbian native American would have used such a weapon, if such a thing did exist.  It is open to speculation.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2004 at 11:06pm

Dear English,

Great post!  I was hoping you or someone else could provide more information and insight regarding this question.  Like I said, I hope there does prove to be some sort of interesting sophisticated elements to the way our old American Indian ancestors used to fight, and you make many thoughtful and good points, with which I have to concur.

Also, the famous plains tribes' legendary horsemanship skills were by definition, post-Columbian, but they were great and inovative, nonetheless!  The parts of the "Last of the Mohicans techniques" which I found "suspect" h9istorically were mainly the back spinning techniques which are reminiscent of the Korean and northern Chinese flying and spinning kicks, backfists, etc. and the way that they employed the weapons a la filipino Kali, escrime and its close ancestor Silat/Bersilat, all of which were becoming popular on the west coast/Holywood area around the time the film was made. noithing wrong with that, however, since it WAS, as you point out, done in a brilliant manner in which the actual techniques were toned down and used in a believable manner to effectively showcase what inventive and seasoned veterans of the bloody frontier "French and Indian" conflicts could have developed on their own, in response to the needs of the time.

It did NOT look like some Chinese opera "clowning" kung fu (where it makes even bad professional wrestling "stomping punches" seem real by comparison), or an attempt to imitate kung fu, or other martial arts films.  The overall economy of the techniques depicted was certainly impressive and believable.  It was certainly not cartoonish, or like that French werewolf flick, etc.

I also think that your taking the initiative to bring up such a thought-provoking topic and to experiment with the possibility of such tools being at least mechanically plausible, and to keep an open mind either way, is completely commendable!  I think that someone like you will have the best chance of being ultimately responsible for either supporting or refuting the question of their actual existence in pre- or post-Columbian North American tribal warfare or hunting cultures, and more importantly, the development and assessment of the potential value, usefulness and limitations of these weapons for primitive weapons students/researchers and modern-day martial artists in the future.

If they are practical and potentially useful, they should be studied regardless of whether they were used by "x" group at "y" time and place in history.  Thank you for so adeptly answering my offered points and opinions.  As you know, that's what makes any discussion interesting and worthwhile.

(P.S. I STILL hope they DID actually exist in at least SOME ancient culture, and that if so, this may be prtoven someday, despite my having own, admittedly merely intuitively-based doubts.)

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 12:36pm

I think it is still entirely possible that such weapons were used by some peoples somewhere, for throwing sticks, something which I would consider the cousin of these crosses, are used, or rather were used, worldwide, and these would be a logical development.  I experimented by simply sharpening the ends of a simple baton throwing stick, and throwing it at a target.  It stuck in the target only twice out the ten times I tried (although that could be my poor skill), and when I used the crosses, they stuck into the target every single time.  Thus, I conclude that if any major developments were made on a throwing stick, a throwing cross is a very likely outcome.  So it is possible they were used somewhere.  Like you say, though, it doesn't matter if they weren't used in north America before columbus, what matters is that they were the product of native ingenuity.  Anyway, thank you for discussing these matters in an intellignet thought provoking way.  I'll get back to you once I have done more research, and can post pictures of my prototype throwing cross thingies.

IP Logged

Rico
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 9:26am

Sounds like a pretty good weapon.  English-I'm interested in how you made yours, could you share your secrets?  Thanks much!

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 3:10pm

Well, I got two sticks of much the same size and girth, and shaped them a little, taking out all the knots and stuff.  They were about 6.5inches long, half an inch thick.  I cut out a section directly in the middle of both, a nice rectangle of the exact proportions of the other stick.  I sharpened, by whittling with my knife, all four points, and glued (ok, I cheated a bit) the sticks together.  I then lashed them together with a bit of thread.  After that, I briefly put the points in a fire (it was actually a gas cooker hob, because it was too cold to do it outside) to harden them, traditional style.  I then oiled the whole thing and waxed it, to protect it from the elements.  It is actually extremely simple and easy to make and use, and it is not as primitive looking as it sounds.  Just throw it at a target, and watch it get nicely stuck.  I am fairly certain that these weapons would not have been made precisely the way mine were, because I made use of modern technological improvements.  However, they work in much the same way as you would expect.  Enjoy!

IP Logged

Rico
Novicius

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 8:14pm

Sounds like a good weekend project.  Though, I might try experiment with different lengths.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks for the great info!!

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 3:34pm

wow that sounds cool i think i will make one.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Josh
Tiro

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 4:28pm

How do you think the natives stuck the sharpened sticks together.  I know they didn't go to Wal-mart and buy some glue.

KEEP 'EM SLINGIN

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 6:49pm

tree sap, some rope, maybe carve a grove in it and ribet them together with a little bit of metal?

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 9:44pm

They would carve a little out of the center. I don't know how better how to explain this but linking logs from when we were kids. I am sure you could put the 2 stick together any way you want but a grove in the center of both sticks sounds the best way to me.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #12 - Sep 16th, 2004 at 9:47pm

In fact the way i saw in a magazine had the stick both groved and then had twine tieing the two stick together in a figure 8 pattern if i remember right.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 10:25am

I wonder about the practicality of  these throwing sticks: although I haven't made one (yet) it sounds like they would be pretty light and would not stick very deeply, or mortally, into a man or beast.  Where they perhaps poisoned?  Or maybe larger, say 1-2 ft.?

solobo88  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 10:37am

There are many natural adhesives.  I like resin glue because it is easy to make and quite strong, but not ideal for everything.  Strong glue can be made from many things, like hooves, or hide, or even fish swim bladders.  Natural cordage is also very strong.
  You can also use an Abe Lincoln joint, which holds securely.  You definitely would not use metal, for the obvious reason that native Americans only had limited knowledge of copper, let alone extensive knowledge of iron or steel to make rivets, etc.  I have used these sticks quite a bit.  A larger stick would make a better impact, and generally be a better weapon, in the same way that a larger throwing stick in general makes a better weapon.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man)