Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Scorpion (Read 6045 times)
english
Ex Member

Re: The Scorpion
Reply #15 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 5:51am

Quote:
I plan on making another one of these, but this time a very small one.  Perhaps 6" or 8" high.  Does anyone know where a guy can buy miniature hardwood "lumber" online?  For model making.  I've been looking, but haven't found anything.  I'd need a lot of small assorted sizes, so I wouldn't have to do too much of my own alterations on them.
  It is really easy to get miniature "lumber", if, of course, you happen to live near a wood, and have basic skills in shaping greenwood.  In fact, I think I will make a miniature scorpion (need to research a bit first), using only wood collected from it's natural environment.  Should be fun.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2004 at 2:05am

Hey I wish you luck.  Post some pics when you finish it.

Ben

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #17 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 5:23pm

i wonder how long it takes you to make. b/c if it isnt to long, you can go into a buisness type deal and sell construction kits over the internet and make a bit of money from your enjoyable past time. just a thought.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #18 - Apr 28th, 2004 at 10:41am

Well it took me about 60 hours.  The precision involved with this type of model rules that out, but it was a good idea.  Always could use extra cash.  I think there is a kit like what you're talking about at catapultkits.com.  But I'm not sure that's a real website or not?

Ben

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #19 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 9:39pm

yah i go to that site once and a while. it is a good site.

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 8th, 2004 at 7:02am

I still haven't started work on the small scorpion yet.  But I have been working on a Chinese repeating crossbow.  Not yet finished, it looks nice though.  I am having difficulty with the magazine.  Anyway, the shape kinda reminds me of a whale.  Look it up on the internet.  Quite a lot of stuff.  And you seem like someone who can work wood well.  Should be easy.

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #21 - May 10th, 2004 at 1:15am

Sounds like fun.  I've been too busy lately for any projects, but that could be on my list.  I think it was Vitruvius, off the top of my head, who invented a repeating scorpion that worked on the same concept.  Chain drive and everything.  Schramm made a repro in the early 20th Century that was able to split it's own arrows.  Post some pictures of your crossbow when you finish it, I'd love to see it.

Ben

IP Logged

chris S.

Reply #22 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 4:40pm

what is your webpage or the web page on building the scorpion
i am also curious to know the dimensions of your scorpion

to answer your qeustion about lumber, i use tower hobbies.com for wood, i dont know if it is the type of wood you need, also you can find it at a local hobby shop that sells model aircraft/boat wood, but you can check and see if it is what u need

IP Logged

Zorrro
Funditor

Yeah, i guess most of
us love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Granada (Spain)
Reply #23 - Jul 21st, 2004 at 4:04am

Hi Whipartist
Nice machine. I think i've seen somewhere ( may be Scientific american magazine) some scorpions designed to throw stone  balls  as well.
Have you think about cushion in the arms /arms shock zone?
I think repeating shock can damage arms and frame very soon if no cushion is provided.

Never disturb your enemy when it's making a mistake (Napoleon Bonaparte)

IP Logged

DCR

Reply #24 - Nov 19th, 2004 at 11:12pm

Wonderful craftsmanship on your scorpion. You've obviously done your homework, unlike many armchair siege engineers.
  Job well done.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #25 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 8:55am

i have been working on a trebuchet. its not that hard to make. all you need is  a weight on one end and the trowing arm on the other. Im working on one the size of a tabel but some day i want to make one the size of war wolf.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Hellfire
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 20th, 2004 at 1:24pm

whipartist

I built a small one about three years ago with some nylon crochet cord and some odds and ends.
Its really fun, I was throwing empty .22 shells and they stuck in the wall.
Dad wasn't too happy

It measures about five inches by three inches and the trough is about six inches long

as soon as i figure this website out ill post a picture

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, David Morningstar)