Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
SLINGSHOT (modern, high power) (Read 7381 times)
JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
SLINGSHOT (modern, high power)
Jan 6th, 2004 at 8:43pm

Well, I just got my Christmas Present from my wife.  It is a Trumark FSX-2000 slingshot.  This model is fully loaded with arm brace, high power latex bands, rotating prongs w/ fiber optic sights and recoil stabalizer.  See it here at  http://www.slingshots.com/  .  Just follow the links to the FSX-2000.

Wow, just wait 'til I get some ammo.  I will try to get some white marbles so I can see where they go.

This is not a sling, but really a hand held catapult (which is really a mechanized sling, so maybe it is a sling of sorts.)

jeff <>< who is really excited!

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Re: SLINGSHOT (modern, high power)
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2004 at 12:33am

Looks good.

Chris

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 6:08pm

Jeff,

Looks pretty cool.  Tell us how well the sight works.  I suppose it's sort of like a bow.  You get a knocking point somewhere on your face and then use a point of aim shooting method?  If you got good steel ballbearing ammunition, those things go fast and far from my experience!

Ben

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 11:57pm

I got some marbles and have only shot it a few times.  Yes it seems that shooting like a bow would be the ticket, but I have not yet quite figured it out.

The sights are quite difficult to get used to for me.  They make me anchor much higher than I'm used to with a slingshot.

I'll let you know later how this all works out.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 6:14pm

that thing is nuts. Well, I'd suggest ditching the sights and just shoot instinctive.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 6:09am

I used to get the best hand catapults and rubbers from the Fred's COP ("Catalog Order plan", not a policeman! Wink) catalogue.  They offered "Magnum" bands made of great surgical tubing that made the rocks "twang" loudly nearly every time after impact with the target!  They were load s of fun, and then the Fred's store discontinued their excellent calalogue order program, and I had to look elsewhere.  I even bought a couple of these sighted "high tech" catapults for personal protection at a sports shop in Saudi Arabia  after hearing some pretty disturbing stories just in the aftermath of the 9/11 tragedy.  Fortunately, the Kingdom is usually pretty quiet, even in the worst of times, and I never had to use one of these little jewels except on rubble piles in the desert.  I agree that an instinctive shooting technique works best for me.  Snap hip-shooting can even be very useful with a hand cat.  I also think that steel ball bearings (around .30 cal. up to a half-inch or so in diameter) tend to be among the best choices for ammo, although a good hard rock of the right size is always also a workable option.

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 1:47pm

Magnum, what are you doing out in the desert? If I were there, I'd trade in my slingshot for a Kalishnikov.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2004 at 6:49am

Dear NWMANITOU,

Thanks for your concern, but don't worry! Wink  I'm no longer there in the desert.  I chose to stay within the bounds of the law, which allowed me to purchase and carry a catapult, sling, improvised bola weapon, etc., so that's what i did.  Besides, they are quieter, and less conspicuous, and just as potentially useful against the types of situations I was likely to run into there in the Kingdom at the time.

Now, I'm in Indonesia on holiday 8), and the low intensity threat is pretty much of a similar nature, but not quite as urgent and with a little more legal leeway, to say the least!

Of course, I agree with you that, given a choice and a likelihood of a specific encouter with a conventional threat, the firearm approach would be preferable.  With a more nebulous and infrequent type of threat, awareness, planning, improvisation combined with maintaining a low profile and high mobility tend to be more useful than hardware.

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 4:54pm

I use this little number from Marksman:

http://www.marksman.com/3071_slings.html

for plinking around.  It is a remarkably accurate compounded system that can be readily modified by replacing the pocket with a short bit of cordage and used with darts to great effect on any number of small game.  really packs a wallop as slingshots go...

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2004 at 11:55pm

Wild slingshot there, TechStuff.  Be careful it does not pull you thru the forks.Grin

jeff <><

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 7:06pm

I hear ya Jeff,  I hear ya.............and just how did you know about my larger human catapult version?  Shocked

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 4:22am

hey techstuff i have the same sling shot put a second band on it got even more power
I modified mine slightly so it fires arrows
two bands give me a 45 pound pull. HMMM looks like there room for a third band to me

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 1:02pm

well haven't added the third band yet but I have discoverd that youths carbon fiber arrows with the vanes cut off fly great out of the two banded number

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 6:20pm

How fast do they go? releatively?

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2004 at 6:27pm

geez.  There's some crazy looking stuff there. Shocked

solobo88  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)